Advanced search

Would you request CS after this birth?

(15 Posts)
LadyAntonella Wed 04-May-16 14:30:40

All hypothetical atm as not yet pregnant (fingers crossed I will be soon though maybe).

I have one DC. Birth went as follows:

Stop start labour for a few nights starting from 41+ 3. Waters possibly broke on morning of scheduled induction (41+6) but when I got to hospital they said waters hadn't gone. Had one pessary and some painful contractions. Had codeine and paracetamol. Waited 6 hours then went to labour ward to have waters broken, only the mw said there were no waters there to break. Was 3cm at this point so they left me to it for a few more hours. Nothing happened except a few contractions, exactly like I'd been having for previous few nights. Wasn't any further along, so had epidural, then hormone drip. Dilated fully and pushed for 2 hours but baby didn't really descend. Doctor came and had a look and said DC was in a funny position - had been back to back but was turning in some funny way so doctor thought she was going to end up coming out a bit sideways and face first (I don't fully understand this as I'm sure you can tell). I had accidentally pulled out my epidural at some point, so there was a bit of a panic when we went to theatre for ventouse trial and I could feel everything. I was given a full spinal block and morphene. DC arrived by ventouse about 36 hours after we arrived in hospital. She wasn't breathing but recovered quickly. I had minor injuries (1st degree and maybe one 2nd degree, but it was borderline - the injuries healed quickly and weren't very painful).

We were discharged after our first night on the ward, but DC was a lacklustre bfer. She lost lots of weight at home and was readmitted to hospital after we called mw out to weigh her on day 4. She was sent to NICU as she had some sort of infection - they were concerned it might be meningitis. She was scanned for lots of things, put in an incubator, fed formula through a tube and given antibiotics. Then I fell ill while staying with her (DH and I were in a guest room on the ward). I also had some sort of infection (never found out what it was). I was sent to another ward on my own and hooked up to fluids and antibiotics. We both recovered quite quickly but BFing was very difficult and we ended up having to stop quite early which I was upset about (obviously the hospital stay was a lot more worrying but still the BFing thing did get to me a lot).

Sorry for the ramble, I'm just trying to make sure I haven't left anything out!

Reading over what happened I think I should definitely ask a doctor if I should have a CS if we do have another DC, but part of me would love another vaginal birth - obviously without all the drama. I've heard it's often more straightforward second time around but I appreciate there are no guarantees. Just wondering what other people might do? TIA

PixieChops Wed 04-May-16 14:52:20

Just to give you an idea of my birth story with my first. I was in labour for 5 days and didn't sleep- I was offered codiene for my contractions and I'd asked for an epidural on Thursday evening at 8pm and didn't get it until 9am on the Friday. I slept whilst dilating- got woken up at 4pm to start pushing. Every time I pushed she'd come down but then would turn and go back up. She was stuck and her heart rate was dropping. At 5pm I was having a forceps delivery with the possibility of having an emergency c section.
It took me ages to bond with my DD, I had a 4th degree episiotomy and tear because they'd had to get her out so quick. I couldn't sit down for about 2 weeks.
I asked for a c section with my second (there are 13 months between my two) and got it with no questions asked. All over my previous pregnancy notes was "insufficient pain relief", I'd also lost a lot of blood that they never told me about.
I went in for my C section, I was the first one in. Had my spinal block at 8:30am and by 9:15 my DS was born. The recovery is hard work especially with a toddler as I couldn't life her. I also felt a bit tight across my tummy until they took the stitches out. I overdid it within the first couple of weeks to be honest and think that hindered my recovery a bit.
I wouldn't have a vaginal birth ever again. Mine was fucking horrendous and I'd suffered from PTSD and PND because of it.

Readabook1 Wed 04-May-16 14:59:26

see my post on The Legal part of Talk called "Sue the hospital"etc you will find my answer there!

LadyAntonella Wed 04-May-16 15:06:50

How awful pixie flowers. Sorry to read that you had such a horrible experience.

Recovering from CS with a toddler is definitely something worth thinking about. The gap between mine will be a lot bigger than 13 months but still.

LadyAntonella Wed 04-May-16 15:17:57

Have just read your thread on Legal read. I'm so sorry to read about your son. I really hope he is ok. flowers

Do you mind me asking, and please don't answer if you don't want to, but how did the hospital know there was a problem with his kidney at birth? I would hate to think anything like that had been missed with my DC.

Mummyme87 Wed 04-May-16 15:41:58

So you birth sounds like a relatively common experience following an induction of labour. The read mission part not so much and that is most likely nothing to do with the labour and birth.

I had a crash CS at 9cm after an induction, due to infection and abnormal fetal heart rate. I lost Alot of blood which required a transfusion. Baby transferred to NNU and was there for 11 days with meningitis. We went home eventually and continued with intravenous antibiotics for 3 weeks. I absolutely do not want another CS with subsequent children, however I can understand why others would.

It's a personal decision. By what you have said it is highly unlikely you will be advised to have a CS over a vaginal birth based on your previous birth. If you want a CS that is a different matter

LadyAntonella Wed 04-May-16 15:49:30

Thanks mummy - I don't really want a CS but obviously if a vaginal birth would have a negative impact on the health of my (hypothetical) baby or me I would go for CS.

JazzTheDog Wed 04-May-16 16:00:11

I had a very similar birth to your first with my first. Overdue, risk of cord prolapse, induced labour, epidural, keilland forceps, rotation and episiotomy.

2nd time round my waters went 2 weeks early and I had a 3 hour labour at home followed by a half hour in hospital and a very easy birth. 2nd baby was 9 and a half pounds too!

There's no predicting how labour would go but I wouldn't jump in feet first for a CS, discuss it with your midwife when you get pregnant.

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Wed 04-May-16 16:10:04

My first labour was a bit like yours. I was in early labour for days, then dd got stuck turning from back to back and I had a forceps delivery.

Does your hospital offer birth debriefs? I had one and it was invaluable, the midwife explained what happened and why and said that I was likely to have a normal vaginal birth next time.

I ended up going for a home birth and had a lovely straightforward water birth second time around.

Good luckflowers

LadyAntonella Wed 04-May-16 16:17:10

I did have a debrief thanks cut and thanks for the above stories. Glad your second births were quite straightforward.

The mw at debrief said next time I might be under a consultant and that maybe I wouldn't be allowed to go so far overdue. She definitely didn't mention CS as far as I recall.

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Wed 04-May-16 17:56:22

The majority of people have an easier birth second time around, and you have the added problem of a toddler to look after, so I wouldn't have wanted a cs second time around unless it was unavoidable.

locomomma Thu 05-May-16 13:50:31

I agree that first time is generally the worst experience. When you've done it once, I think your body knows what to do on subsequent deliveries. In my case, I had a long slow traumatic first labour and went all natural for my second - midwifery led, hypnobirthing, gas & air only etc. It was a fantastic experience and labour lasted a few hours in total. Felt very healing. However, I did get a 3rd degree tear due to size of baby so I'm having a CS this time round, in about 6 weeks. I'll be total expert on modes of birthing then :-)

pullthecracker Sat 14-May-16 07:06:26

Is your choice entirely if you want a section, you just have to request it. However, if you want a vaginal birth, there doesn't sound to be any reason why you couldn't have one.
As a pp said, it could be due to the induction, and also the fact that your baby wasn't in an optimum position, which will have hindered you pushing.
Why don't you have a plan in place to try labour if it's spontaneous, but if it's at a stage where they want to induce you, then have a section?
Having a section unfortunately wouldn't reduce the risk of weight loss or infection post natally though.

dylsmimi Sat 14-May-16 07:25:43

I had an induction with dc1 labour went on for 2 days and I was exhausted. He ended up with a ventouse delivery and I felt awful and exhausted for a week after and very sore from the episiotomny.
Dc2 was completely different - it was as if my body knew what to do and I trusted it. I listened to natal hypnotherapy CDs and was a lot more relaxed. He came quickly but easily with no pain relief at all and the recovery after was so different
Obviously we didn't have the infections and worries you have but I guess I am trying to say the births can be different and you don't need to rush into a cs if you still want a vaginal birth

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 14-May-16 07:33:34

I had a horrendous time with DD1 and took quite some time to recover from the effects of my massive PPH. When I had DD2 8 years later, I was consultant led and was advised that because going overdue was a contributing factor, I would be induced at 40+5 if I hadn't gone into labour by then myself, and that I had to be on the ward and not the MLU. I was induced again, and it couldn't have been more different! 4 hours from start to finish, no complications and home first thing the next day smile

If you want a CS go for it, explain why and you'll be able to have one. If you don't, your consultant will male a plan with you to minimise the risk of complications arising again.

Hope it all goes well, whatever you decide to do ☺

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now