seeding

(6 Posts)
flowerpower10 Sun 24-Apr-16 22:47:22

Has anyone had a C-section and had baby seeded ?

Heirhelp Mon 25-Apr-16 08:03:27

There was an article on the BBC news about this a few months ago. I think the general medical opinion was don't do it.

flowerpower10 Mon 25-Apr-16 14:28:00

Just wanted to know if anyone had done it
I don't believe it's a problem if you don't have or had HPV or any sexual infections as it's just re creating what a vaginal birth would cover baby with

flowerpower10 Mon 25-Apr-16 14:28:07

Just wanted to know if anyone had done it
I don't believe it's a problem if you don't have or had HPV or any sexual infections as it's just re creating what a vaginal birth would cover baby with

Junosmum Mon 25-Apr-16 14:33:01

I haven't done it, but would only do it if I'd been tested for step b and was certain I didn't have hpv or thrush.

MabelSideswipe Mon 25-Apr-16 14:41:43

The risks of doing it are tiny and theoretical at the moment. See this: www.nhs.uk/news/2016/02February/Pages/Vaginal-seeding-may-put-newborns-at-risk-of-infection.aspx.

Also this:http://www.sarawickham.com/riffing-ranting-and-raving/a-small-seeding-rant/.

There is a lot more to seeding than just vaginal bacteria though. We don't know, for instance, what effect on seeding water birth and babies being born in the amniotic sac/in the caul has. You can really help seeding by breastfeeding, having lots of skin to skin and avoiding antibiotics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now