In need of some hand holding...VBAC

(4 Posts)
verytiredmummy1 Mon 18-Apr-16 19:00:27

Hi smile
I had a traumatic labour a year ago with being induced, 30 hour labour then baby getting stuck and failed ventouse. Then cat 1 c section where the spinal block failed so had GA.

I was pretty much decided on a vaginal birth this time but have started really panicking about scar rupture etc.

I thought I was ok about it but I'm getting really scared. Could I have some positive VBAC stories please?!

Xx

CatchingBabies Tue 19-Apr-16 18:00:22

Remember the scar rupture risk is 0.5-2% so not huge, in fact when you calculate all risks to mother and baby from a VBAC the risk level is exactly the same as having a first baby vaginally so it's not all that significant.

The midwives will routinely ask you about pain in between contractions or scar tenderness and will act at any slight concern, the threshold for intervention with a VBAC is much lower.

You have an 80% chance of achieving a normal delivery following a Caesarian though and the chances increase the more dilated you got in your labour, it sounds like you got to fully dilated so the odds are in your favour.

Good luck xx

emsyj Tue 19-Apr-16 21:29:50

You can have mine! smile I also had a crash section with DD1 under GA. Then had a totally uneventful straightforward VBAC at home with DD2. Six hours, no tears or stitches, felt incredible afterwards - the most enormous post-birth high!

Remember you don't have to make a do-it-or-bust decision: a friend of mine who was pregnant with DC2 following a c-section with DC1 at the same time as me created a very detailed birth plan with her consultant setting out what she would want to happen in various scenarios. She had a VBAC in hospital with more interventions than she had hoped for, but she was happy with the experience overall because she felt completely in control and she was asked what she wanted at each stage.

All the best for a positive birth experience.

BaskingTrout Tue 19-Apr-16 22:45:21

Your birth was basically identical to mine OP, except for the GA. I've just had a very positive meeting with the consultant and been given to go ahead for a VBAC. I was told that because I got to fully dilated, there's a really good chance next time.

if you haven't already seen it, come and join us on the VBAC support thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childbirth/2579404-VBACers-support-thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now