In your Experience

(22 Posts)
sophree Sun 17-Apr-16 14:04:01

Pros and Cons of an Epidural ?!

ShowOfHands Sun 17-Apr-16 14:07:05

Made the emcs bearable. grin

No cons for me. Actually, I had a spinal block both times and it was necessary. Had no side effects bar it crashing my already low bp so that's something they kept an eye on second time round.

AnnaT45 Sun 17-Apr-16 14:09:39

Cons it took three attempts for it work and it was rather unpleasant whilst contracting and being sick!
Pros was absolutely amazing and the best decision I've ever made! I ended up having a crash section and they were able to top it quickly rather than do GA which meant I was awake to meet my baby smile

I don't think it's something you can plan for you just have to go with it and have an open mind. Are you u sure about having one?

Junosmum Sun 17-Apr-16 21:48:00

I ended up having a spinal block for manual removal of my placenta after a pain-relief free birth.

Positives- I didn't feel a thing, slept through most of it. I was waaaay too exhausted to bother about the needle going in.

Cons- the needle site hurt a bit for a week or two, a sort of throbbing pain, very weird feeling and a little disconcerting.

They injected morphine as well, it made me itch like crazy, I had to have antihistamines.

The catheter was both good and bad, no having to get up to pee but I also had to get a midwife to change the first nappy.

I'd have an epidural next birth without hesitation.

StrumpersPlunkett Sun 17-Apr-16 21:51:27

No personal experience but with both my births I was v v open to having one if I felt I needed to.
But was also v happy to try without.

We are lucky to live in a country where birth is safe and we have the options

locomomma Mon 18-Apr-16 00:34:50

Had an awful experience as mine didn't work. Initially had lovely relief but then started to wear off and I believe dosage was wrong. It totally slowed down labour - was 8 cm when I got it, took 5 hours to get to 9.5 cm then put in drip, very intense pain.
If you do get one and it doesn't work ... Demand to see the anaesthetist. I was way too timid on my first.

Haudyerwheesht Mon 18-Apr-16 00:37:13

Cons

Didn't work at all
HCPs refused to believe it hasn't worked
Sitting for ages whilst it was done and I was contracting

Pros

None for me but I know other people have found them brilliant

PortiaCastis Mon 18-Apr-16 00:48:22

I did want one as I'd heard they worked well but I only just got to the hospital in time and dd1 was crowning so no time.
Same thing happened with dd2. Not complaining though as they were both very short labours. First was just under 6 hours and second was an ambulance job and all over within 3 hours. Both times I delivered and went home the same day..

KimmySchmidtsSmile Mon 18-Apr-16 00:51:18

Dc1
Pros: blissful, all pain just went
Cons: they let it wear off pre crowning/final stage angry
So...went from zero to 11+ in pain
Also felt no urge to push. Had vacuum suction birth and episiotomy
Also laid on back

Dc2
Pros: took the edge off in hindsight
Cons: didn't seem to 'take'/seemed to only work on one side/legs completely leaden but felt contractions. Stirrups. Ventouse again.

Dc3
Had nothing, Nada, just a stupid yoga ball. Still ended up on my sodding back due to stupid midwife, and no urge to push. No ventouse but huge tearing leading to prolapse. No endorphins. Nothing but complete and utter agony.

So...I would take an epidural any day of the week
I cannot and will not advocate natural birth
I do not believe an epi necessarily led to intervention
No epi did not mean feeling urge to push came naturally
Write epi into birth plan, get it as early as you can, get them to top it up, tell them to tell you when to push, keep it topped up.
Alternatively book an elective like all the sodding gynaes/obstets do because they bloody know what childbirth entails.

KimmySchmidtsSmile Mon 18-Apr-16 01:01:12

Sorry OP flowers just read that back and I sound very bitter.
Maybe ask about a mobile epidural where you can still move around?
I know nothing about them but cannot hep but think the missionary position does not help the birth process.
Having had the third experience, I felt cheated and even more traumatised than the first two, hence my bitterness. I believed the stuff about epis slowing down the birth/bringing to standstill. I believed the stuff about epis leading to intervention. I believed that you just needed to get through transition then feel an inate urge to push and get natural high as a result. DC3 proved all that as complete and utter bollocks and I should have insisted on an epi when I went into hospital having waited til I was 6cm. No medals for going without pain relief. Just pain.

earthmoon Mon 18-Apr-16 10:00:41

Pro for me

Worked at first attempt and much more quicker than expected. I didn't feel the needle go in and the relief was amazing (ds1 was back to back and I had the drip in (as part of induction))

Later because of failing to dilate I got a c-section and all they did was top it up and I was awake when he was born, as well as having one birthing partner go with me.

Con

I have naturally low blood pressure and it went so low that it caused ds1 heart rate to drop. The emergency bell was pressed and the room quickly filled up. Luckily all they needed to do was increase this other drug that everyone gets along side epidural and his heart rate quickly picked up to normal. However, this caused a lot of guilt and I learnt the need to research all available pain relief options and their possible side effects before hand. I wouldn't ask for it again as the above guilt ruined it for me.

kiki22 Mon 18-Apr-16 10:48:57

I did get one it it stopped the contractions in my tummy but not the back pain I was getting due to ds being back to back so I still needed gas and air. I ended up with a spinal and forceps, the spinal was great the consultant asked if it was my second baby because I was so good at pushing I just couldn't feel a damn thing.

If I have a natural birth this time I don't want one again, mainly because it might slow me down and keep me immobile.

Mummyme87 Mon 18-Apr-16 20:40:16

I was very against epidural a and it was a last resort for me.

Pros - worked well (they don't always), I was pain free except when waiting for a top up, made the emergency CS quicker and easier to deal with

Cons - urinary catheter, pain at the epidural site for a couple of months after, not able to move easily with it in, slowed labour down

I have no intentions of having an epidural again

locomomma Mon 18-Apr-16 22:20:28

Really interesting the amount of negative experiences. I always thought I was in a tiny minority. I wonder are we just more likely to post if we had a bad experience ... Hmmm!

lcoc2015 Mon 18-Apr-16 22:28:49

Had epidural for dd1 (induction)
Pros: Didnt feel a thing. Had a lovely pleasant afternoon and evening chatting to midwives, reading, sleeping etc while progressing slowly. Could feel pressure when baby moved down into birth canal and pushed effectively.
Cons: Dead leg feelings on left side while epidural was in and being stuck on my back may have contributed to ventouse requirement. Still worth it to feel no childbirth, afterbirth or stitching pain!

Had just gas and air on second induction, very quick birth and great recovery afterwards but if i was to have a 3rd i would go privately to ensure my epidural was placed before any induction started!

LouieLou2013 Mon 18-Apr-16 22:36:20

Lcoc - I insisted before they even put the drip in.

Mainly pros from me. Had a mobile one and could top it up myself. No issues with getting in or issues after.

Cons - ended up with an episiotomie and vontouse but he had a massive head so might have been the case after.

Left the hospital after 12 hours of giving birth

LouieLou2013 Mon 18-Apr-16 22:38:26

After? Ment anyway.

Coldest Mon 18-Apr-16 22:39:01

I am very unsure about epi.

Pros:
No pain at all. Just blissful relief.

Cons:
Bp dropped and hence DD heart rate as soon as epi went in and her heart rate failed to recover hence an EMCS

I still would like the option though during labour.

whifflesqueak Mon 18-Apr-16 22:39:47

I've had two.

two very serene labours.

lovely.

zzzzz Mon 18-Apr-16 22:41:28

VERY pro. 4 births, 1 and 3 with epidural and I would opt for that every time. Lovely controlled peaceful births that left me much better placed to care for my babies. I labour very fast and I think epidural slows that down a little.

StinkyMcgrinky Tue 19-Apr-16 05:42:22

I had a very positive experience with my epidural. I don't recall any pain from the actual procedure itself (suppose the contractions had my main focus) and no pain afterwards. It did slow down my labour slightly but the relief from the pain was instant.

Wouldn't think twice about having one when DS2 arrives

frangipani13 Tue 19-Apr-16 05:55:21

I waited 17 hours and got to 9cm without an epi- what a fool I was! Glorious relief when I got the epidural i was able to cope again although i couldn't feel pushing. Ended up with a forceps delivery however i was induced due to a medical condition and believe the baby wasn't ready to be born anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now