Talk

Advanced search

How soon after C-section could you carry baby in a sling?

(8 Posts)
BettyBi0 Wed 06-Apr-16 14:39:21

I'm hoping to do a sling+buggy combo when DC2 arrives rather than buying a double buggy. DC1 has just turned 2 and I need her in a buggy for the nursery run. I've got quite a high chance of another ELCS if my magical VBAC hasn't happened by my due date. So potentially I'll be 2 weeks post c-section and needing to transport both littles. Do you think I'll be up to wearing a stretchy wrap by then or do I need to make some other kind of plan?

Whataboutnodetox Wed 06-Apr-16 14:42:01

I don't think I could have worn baby and pushed my two year old two weeks after but everyone varies. I could walk around with newborn in my caboo at that point but unless it was very flat and not too far I wouldn't have been able to push too. I bought a Phil and Ted v2 navigator and used the second seat for the first few months. Now I just use it as a single and have the second seat on if my older one gets desperate.

Fwaffy Wed 06-Apr-16 14:48:08

Watching as I'll be in the same position, though not needing to do long walks each day.

I think I went out for a short sling walk with DD1 at 2 weeks post-CS but I felt sore and a bit silly for having pushed it. I was okay by 5/6 weeks though.

BurningGubbins Wed 06-Apr-16 15:08:57

I'd agree that the sling should be fine but it's pushing the pram that might be hard, depending on hills etc.
That said, I'm 3 weeks post section today and yesterday pushed the pram with newborn and buggy board with 4 year old up hills that I couldn't walk up at 39 weeks. The difference between week 2 and 3 has been massive.

Nicknamegrief Wed 06-Apr-16 15:15:51

Carried mine about 5 days post section in a sling. The general rule of thumb is to not lift anything heavier than your baby post section and a sling means that you aren't and then hands free in case you need to steady yourself. Having said that I have bigger gaps so I never have had to push a buggy at the same time- I would say that that will be the biggest problem as generally it is said not to push a Hoover for about 4/6 weeks.
With both number 3 and 4 ,I had both a preschool and a school run to do so walked about 5/6miles a day with baby in a sling. It was exhausting but manageable. My husband did the daily Hoover for the first couple of months,

peachypips Wed 06-Apr-16 15:27:50

It totally depends on how well you heal. I was wearing the sling three days after I had DS1 as I had no pain at all and my scar healed exceptionally quickly. I was obviously careful.
Btw I had an EmCS then a speedy and successful vbac with DS2.

Jw35 Wed 06-Apr-16 16:07:09

5 days later but the midwife told me off! blush painkillers these days are amazing! I wasn't pushing a toddler at the same time though and didn't go out until she was around 10 days old!

This time round I will have a toddler and newborn and plan to use a sling but will just see what's comfortable. You need a nice easy to push buggy for the toddler, mines a nipper 360 and no effort so hopefully that will help! I will have a double too for when baby gets heavy

bingeddybongo Thu 07-Apr-16 08:31:32

It took me several weeks - about 6 I think - but I had a pretty rough emergency c-section, which might have had something to do with it? Having a planned c-section this time so fingers crossed it'll be much quicker as I've got no buggy and a toddler to collect from daycare confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now