Advanced search

Help! In hospital now. How much choice do I have over induction?

(4 Posts)
outputgap Wed 30-Mar-16 18:59:43

I'd really appreciate advice/others' experience.

I'm exactly 40 weeks. I'm 41 years old and this is dc3. I have antiphosolipid syndrome, so have two factors suggesting that it's not great to leave me overdue for too long.

Dcs1 and 2 arrived at 40+4 following waters breaking slowly at 40+2, and then spectacularly later that night. I am much less sure of dates than I was with those 2 though, where I was 100% sure due to ivf. If I had more confidence about when 40+2 might "really" be I would have asked to wait rather than be induced on my due date.

I have been on the antenatal ward since 1. I have spoken to no one about my options. Nothing except a trace and obs has happened.

With dc2 I went into labour 10 minutes after a savagely effective sweep.

With dc1 I went into labour with the drip and no pessary first.

I really don't want to arse around with the pessary. Both my earlier labours went well. I have a 4 year old with aspergers at home and I really don't want to leave her for too long, it's too much of a change for her. (I was super quick with her brother and dh was home to do bath and bed.)

So basically, how much scope do I have to ask to skip the bloody gel/pessary and if a sweep doesn't work, ask for the drip?

1frenchfoodie Wed 30-Mar-16 20:16:57

I went straight to drip after my waters were broken (at 40+14) but it was because I was already 4cm dilated after 22h of contractions folloeing sweep no 3 the day before. A couple of the women in my antenatal class also went straight to drip but that was due to urgency (preclampsia, griwth concerns). But given the pessary alone could be sufficient why do you want to skip it? The drip has a reputation for stronger, speedier, more painful contractions after all. Somed places alow you to go home c. 30mins after the pessary goes in so you could potentially be with your daughter while it is doing its thing.

outputgap Wed 30-Mar-16 23:47:25

Thanks 1french.

Doesn't look like I'll get to go home now. smile

I guess I was hoping to skip it because the drip worked so well for me by itself previously. I just want to cut to the chase.

zannyminxoxox Thu 31-Mar-16 09:53:38

Im in the same position im due to be induced monday due to baby measuring big I was induced with my son and the pessery did absolutely nothing and was a waste of 24 hours and they they wanted me to wait around even longer until they was less busy to break my waters I ended up discharging myself as it was nearly 48 hours since I had slept as I just cannot sleep in hospitals. I am refusing the pessery on monday if they offer it me as it just seems like a waste of time to me. Its your body your choice so hoping labour comes naturally so doesn't get to that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now