Talk

Advanced search

Body after c-section

(55 Posts)
CommanderShepherd Tue 29-Mar-16 11:49:50

Not sure whether this is the right board or not but needing reassurance. Had ds 2 weeks ago by emcs, I've recovered really well but there is a coupe of things that are worrying me. I can feel a lump underneath my scar, which I'm assuming is the muscles they had to cut as it goes across my stomach. I assume this is normal? My second issue is that the scar had caused a 'pooch' which under my clothes feels like a huge fat roll that super obese people get. (I'm size 12/14)
Will this ever go away? The rest of my bump is pretty much gone although I know it still takes a few weeks for the womb to go back to normal. So, fellow c-sectioners out there, I'm not going to have a washboard stomach but are these lumps and bumps anything for me to worry about

BettyBi0 Tue 29-Mar-16 15:35:16

If the lump feels hot or there is any discharge from the scar I'd definitely get it checked out.

My scar has a slight bulge on the right hand side of it even 2 years on. Is the pooch kind of like an overhang? I remember having a little overhang for the first couple of months (was a 12-14 at the time but not much abdominal fat). It slowly disappeared and now I just have a regular chubby tummy (size 14-16) but no overhang. Sorry that probably doesn't help muh

hilbil21 Tue 29-Mar-16 15:46:36

I'm afraid even the skinniest of skinny people I know that have had a section still have a pooch or slight overhang X

BillBrysonsBeard Tue 29-Mar-16 16:34:47

My bulge is still there (2 years later) but hidden under clothes. I sometimes think if I starved myself and worked out intensely then it might go but I can't be bothered grin
I think it's just one of those things you get used to!

AStreetcarNamedBob Tue 29-Mar-16 16:41:32

I had the pouch but now 2 years later it's vanished and I'm now and was then a size 16/18 so don't worry

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 29-Mar-16 16:54:09

After my first c section it took 2 years and the pooch had almost disappeared. After my 3rd DC, 2nd section I'm now 6 months post-op and its definitely back with a vengeance. I have a much more overall rounded belly this time too, as if I have a bit of diastasis recti (?) Thrown in. I completely understand what you mean about it, it sort of hangs beneath the waistband on my trousers so even though I'm a 12-14 I feel so much bigger. After just 2 weeks though op, I wouldn't worry but now after 6 months I'm starting to get a little bit upset about it. that combined with my massive post pregnancy boobs, I don't know how to dress myself anymore!

CommanderShepherd Tue 29-Mar-16 18:24:21

Thanks everyone. I hope I wasn't coming off as vain. I was meant to have a water birth, ended up on the drip then emcs, complete opposite of what I wanted so I guess most of my hang ups about this are around the birth I wanted rather than the... I can't even say I gave birth to him, he was removed from me.

CityMole Tue 29-Mar-16 18:56:23

I haven't had a section, so I can't advise as to the tummy recovery, but I wonder if you ought to ask for a post-birth de-brief as you sound very upset at the way things went for you. While I understand your upset, it is very silly to say that you did not give birth to him and that he was merely removed from you. Not just silly, but also demeaning to other women who have to have C-sections for whatever reason (or who choose to do so.) It is just as valid a birth choice, and I doubt your ds will care down the line how he was born! You should be very proud, but you sound sad about it- definitely ask if you can have a meeting to discuss everything and then try to move on from your upset. I am sure the tummy hang will clear up (or you will cease to care as much). I suspect you just feel very impotent just now when your movement is so restricted, and not through your own free choice. flowers

poocatcherchampion Tue 29-Mar-16 19:03:30

My lump has gone. I noticed it last week. Baby is 5mo - but I don't know when it went! It was last there about 2minths in.

I'll keep you updated re overhang smile

CommanderShepherd Tue 29-Mar-16 20:43:39

I've got the HV coming out tomorrow so I'll get her to have a wee look at the lump under the scar. I wouldn't waste their time with a debrief, i know what happened, I guess it's just hard to let go of what I wanted to happen and what actually happened.

SignoraStronza Tue 29-Mar-16 20:49:14

Dc1 (cs not done in UK), I was advised to rub the scar in small circular movements to break down the internal scar tissue or something. Eventually you could barely see the scar and would never have known I'd had a section - my tummy went back to flat.

Definitely not the case after cs2 and 3 though - there is an obvious 'pouch'. Am a fair bit heavier, older and less bothered though!

emsyj Tue 29-Mar-16 21:54:23

2 weeks is no time at all, there will be loads of swelling still to go down. I am a size 12/14 and had a crash section with DD1 (after planning a lovely water birth like you!) I don't have an overhang or pouch, but the line of the scar was very red/purple until probably the last year or so - DD will be 6 soon.

mrsnoon Tue 29-Mar-16 22:01:32

Try telling another c-section Mum they didn't give birth, they just had their babies removed. I doubt they'd be as kind as the previous poster, frankly that's just bloody rude and insulting. Obviously you're upset you didn't get the birth you planned but to demean other women's birth choices is out of order. It's been 2 weeks, your body has just been through a major operation so there will be swelling and fluid retention in the area as well as the normal post-birth stomach stuff. Enjoy your baby.

bonzo77 Tue 29-Mar-16 22:18:00

Congratulations on your new baby!

Is the lump all along the scar? That is new tissue organising itself and will settle, eventually to almost nothing. The pouch too will improve to some extent, if not completely. It's very early days for you still, and some of what you see is your baby bump going down, fluid and maybe fat if you gained during the pregnancy. Your body will look very different a month down the line, and will continue to change as time goes on. You'll probably never be quite the same as before you got pregnant. But you'll find anew normal that you learn to live with. Fwiw I hated my pre-baby body. Hated it. 3 babies (and 3 CS) later, it's virtually unchanged, apart from my very little pouch (youngest is 7 months, I think it will go down more). But I love my body now, not for what it looks like (though I've come to terms with that), but what it's done. It defied nature (didn't go into labour), defied the drugs (to induce labour), coped with 3 big operations (the CSs) and produced 3 tiny little babies. And then despite the judgement of others, did what it needed to build them into strong little people (with bottles of formula).

CorBlimeyTrousers Tue 29-Mar-16 22:31:29

I think 2 weeks is a little early to worry about overhang. If you have any signs of infection then do get that checked out. You can also ask your GP to take a look at your 6 week check.

I'm sorry you don't feel you gave birth. I've had two c-sections and they were positive experiences for me (the failed induction before the first one not so much). Again 2 weeks post birth is maybe a little early to start processing everything what with having a new baby to look after, but if these feelings remain it would be worth talking to someone about them. I understand not wanting to go over it but I found when I got pregnant a second time that a lot of my unresolved feelings from the first birth and newborn days came back and caused me anxiety.

Congratulations on your new baby.

MajesticWhine Tue 29-Mar-16 22:32:34

You sound disappointed with your birth experience. I felt the same after having an EMCS. Having a debrief is not a waste of time. It might help to talk about your feelings and it is perfectly valid to feel as you do.
I still have a bit of an overhang, several years post- CS I regret to say. But it is not noticeable when I'm dressed and I wear size 10 or 12. You can improve it with time and with exercise, but the main cure for me was a slow acceptance that my body had changed for ever.

CommanderShepherd Tue 29-Mar-16 22:47:57

No disrespect to those who've had sections but that's just how I feel right now. I didn't give birth to him, he was surgically cut out of me. I never seen him come out, hell I never even made it to the "push". That's just how I feel and I won't apologise for it

CommanderShepherd Tue 29-Mar-16 22:50:08

And I think their is a difference mentally between a planned section and an emergency section, also I was commenting on my own experience, no one else's

AliceInHinterland Tue 29-Mar-16 23:00:49

Commander can feel however she wants about her own birth. A sense of loss of control (as in EMCS) is associated with feelings of trauma, and those of us who've been through it do not always feel totally rational. I also feel odd saying that I 'gave birth' when to me that means something more specific. Doesn't mean I didn't go through hell for three days of labour or I'm not his mum, it's just the turn of phrase doesn't seem to quite suit for me personally.

AliceInHinterland Tue 29-Mar-16 23:03:47

Anyway - the pouch does go, they don't cut the muscles, just pull them aside (though it feels like they have been destroyed!) but I wish I had dealt with the emotions before I got pregnant again - now a bit of a nervous wreck in case it all happens again!

BennyTheBall Tue 29-Mar-16 23:07:52

I haven't had a cs but my friend has, and, a couple of years on, she has got rid of her 'pooch'.

She felt/feels the same as you, OP, regarding her experience when he was born.

maybebabybee Tue 29-Mar-16 23:17:02

I had an EMCS 2 weeks ago and I feel exactly the same as you op. It's not an insulting way to feel.

megletthesecond Tue 29-Mar-16 23:19:02

IME 2 weeks post EMCS is a wretched time. You're not that healed and are well into the tired stage. I think I've blocked out the first month of DS's life because I was such a wreck.

Make sure you get your scar checked out. It will settle down in time. And it is worth getting a birth debrief in a couple of months time, I didn't have mine until DS was 12 months old. Be nice to yourself, lots of sofa and pj's for another fortnight yet.

MammyHester9116 Tue 29-Mar-16 23:27:17

I had an emcs 11 weeks ago. I was so tired and crying still at that point.
I'm having my debrief tomorrow which has brought everything flooding back and I sometimes feel the same way about 'not giving birth'. Especially in the early days when everyone wants to hear your birth story. It did get easier as the weeks go on and I guess in a year or so I will have forgotten.
After cs I said never again but now I think I could try again but not for a few years.
I think a debrief is important for me as I feel some things went wrong at the hospital. And I might have had a cs anyway bc ds was back to back but I wasn't checked properly when I arrived and that needs addressing for me and my peace of mind if I do go back to have another baby.

candykane25 Tue 29-Mar-16 23:31:30

32 months after my CS. I have a ridge under my scar if that makes sense. It also still aches sometimes. Not badly but I feel it. The scar itself is almost non existent though.
The area around it feels numb.
I have the CS pooch but it doesn't bother me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now