Talk

Advanced search

Meptid in labour

(4 Posts)
almmummy Fri 25-Mar-16 20:37:47

Hi there, did anybody have Meptid during labour? Did you find your baby was slow to feed and a bit sleepy? They say it does not cross the placenta but my first was exhausted and could only manage one swallow per feed. I want to use it this time but don't want to affect baby's feeding. My first might have just been exhausted from a traumatic forceps delivery though

Junosmum Fri 25-Mar-16 21:30:08

I didn't have it but my baby was incredibly sleepy and slow at feeding- so much so we couldn't wake him for feeds and had to syringe colostrum in to his mouth for 2 feeds.

So it may have just been delivery (I also had forceps following a long labour).

MabelSideswipe Fri 25-Mar-16 21:32:03

It does cross the placenta, it just leaves the baby's body more quickly than pethidine. All opiates will cross the placenta if they have time to do so.

almmummy Sat 26-Mar-16 07:16:37

Thanks, that is really interesting to hear. The second dose was only a couple of hours before delivery but it was also a forceps delivery with cord entanglement so poor baby went through the mill. I'll do what I can to avoid it this time but would still rather have this drug than an epidural if poss

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now