Anyone had a planned vaginal breech delivery?

(9 Posts)
Elephantslovetofly Wed 23-Mar-16 20:01:21

I'm 34 weeks, found out on a scan at 28 weeks that my bubba was breech - no issue, I thought, plenty of time for him or her to turn. I'm now 6 weeks down the line and the midwife is pretty sure it's still breech (plus I haven't felt the big turn I was told I would should he or she turn around)

I'm aware there is still time for things to change, but my bump is apparently 'all baby' and I'm thinking the chances are not great

I know my options if the baby doesn't turn, and I know the documented risks and benefits etc - I'm just wondering if anyone has gone with a vaginal delivery, and if so was it straightforward or difficult. Were there complications? Mine was extended breech at 28 weeks, but won't know if this is still the case until I'm rescanned in a couple of weeks

Thanks ladies!

PinPon Wed 23-Mar-16 20:06:06

Had a friend with a breech baby laboured in the birthing pool, but ended up with a c-section. She was very positive about it all - she felt that she'd done all she could to have a vaginal birth but it just wasn't to be.

Another friend had her baby turned by a doctor in hospital relatively late on. Perhaps that's a option for you?

Good luck, whatever you decide.

RJnomore1 Wed 23-Mar-16 20:09:30

I haven't but I was planning one with dd2 and I researched thoroughly. She was footling breech which can cause real hip problems. The main thing I found was that because most breeches are c sectioned now there are less medical staff with the needed skill and experience. I found a consultant , not my one, who was and who would give me a trial of labour with a planned induction and an experienced medical team on the understanding if it didn't work I was prepared for intervention.

It turned out not to matter as dd arrived at 32 weeks at 1.15 am so I was happy to go straight for a section as I didn't want to risk causing her mobility issues with an inexperienced team. The section was ok. It wasn't as bad as I'd dreaded. I think it would be even better if planned so I wouldn't be scared if one if it was the best thing for you and baby.

vvviola Wed 23-Mar-16 20:14:52

It was on the cards for DD2 (she turned at the last minute). But, according to the consultant the reasons it was on the cards was - I'd had a previous vaginal birth without complications, and we were in a country where breech babies were more regularly delivered vaginally (particularly on 2nd or subsequent pregnancies) so there was a level of experience. (I was not in the UK, but consultant was British. He said he wouldn't have done them regularly in the UK, but where we were it was more usual).

I don't think I would consider it unless it was quite an experienced team.

Lilliput Wed 23-Mar-16 20:56:59

Have a look at the spinning babies website. There are some yoga poses that can help turn the baby.
Also Google moxibustion for turning breech babies.

Phalenopsisgirl Wed 23-Mar-16 23:32:08

I was going to but baby turned at 37 weeks hours before my presentation scan, I did lots of research. Mary Cronk talks a lot of sense.

Cuppachaplz Thu 24-Mar-16 13:58:31

I am 37 w, was told at 36 that baby was breech.
I've had 2 sections and Beth keen to avoid s third, so booked for VBAC and then breech delivery if this failed, lots of options were discussed. Baby had turned when I went hit the ECV. I don't feel anything much and baby is measuring 3w ahead.
Ime, they don't worry about breech presentation until you approach term, and then discuss the options with you.
DS1 t engaged at34w, and I was told that this was quite early. Prior to engagement he turned frequently, which I understood was normal. Ds2 was still spinning at least twice a day when he was born at 35w (he was tiny though...)
Good luck, and try to relax xxx

Elephantslovetofly Thu 24-Mar-16 16:51:54

Thanks everyone, it seems pretty likely the baby will turn before due date, fingers crossed for that!

My plan at the moment is to have the scan in 2 weeks and if still breech ask to speak to a consultant.....

Vilio Thu 24-Mar-16 16:55:58

I didn't have a breech baby but mine laid in a traverse position for ages which was uncomfortable for me.
Definitely check out the Spinning babies page. I followed the traverse position stretches for a couple of weeks which turned him (I really do think it did the trick!). It took a bit of effort and upside-down sitting on a chair, but worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now