c section scar pain and lochia- how long?

(12 Posts)
strangerjo Sun 20-Mar-16 19:00:02

I had a elcs 3 weeks ago. My abdomen and the scar are still very painful and tender, and very sensitive when clothes rub against them. I'm also still bleeding bright red on and off - it seems to be just after expressing. Did anyone experience this and how long did the pain and bleeding take to stop fully? Cheers

QueenMolotov Mon 21-Mar-16 11:23:42

I had an ELCS in 2012 and my lochia lasted for 6w (the same as after my previous VB). Expressing/breastfeeding causes the uterus to contract as it shrinks (yours will still be shrinking), so the increase is normal as long as you are not passing clots/soaking pads or have abdominal pain with fever. Talk to your HV though.

The scar may take longer to feel normal again, and 3 weeks post-section is still very early days. If I remember correctly, I didn't like to wear knickers with a tight waistband or jeans against my scar for months afterwards as after the soreness, I had hyper-sensitivity around the scar. It wasn't anything unbearable, I just preferred to have nothing rubbing against it.

Mine settled with time and I remember being fully back in pre-pregnancy clothes (including hipster jeans) by the time my dd was a year old.

strangerjo Mon 21-Mar-16 16:17:23

Thank you for your comment. I've read lots of people saying they were pain-free after a week so was starting to panic about the ongoing pain around my stitch and the hypersensitivity. I'm glad to hear you were fine and back in your jeans after a year though!

Metalhead Tue 22-Mar-16 10:53:30

I think it was about 6 weeks before I could wear normal jeans again without it irritating my scar. Now 4 months on I still get a sort of tingling and slight soreness when I press on it or rub it too hard, but other than that it's fine. Bleeding was also on and off for a while before it stopped completely.

PercyPigTheSecond Tue 22-Mar-16 21:53:43

I had bleeding for at least six weeks. It would be bright red most often when I had been walking a fair amount or exerting myself. Took a while for the scar to settle down, maybe around four months. There's a lot of hype about quick recovery from sections but it's not always the case.

Laquila Tue 22-Mar-16 21:58:52

I'm at 4 weeks post section and am still bleeding quite a lot, and still bright red. On the other hand I've been wearing pre-pregnancy jeggings for a week now - this is my second section and I seem to have recovered much quicker than last time round. I remember my scar and the skin around feeling weirdly numb but tingly last time. My first section was an EMCS and I do wonder whether the rush job aspect of it, along with the exhaustion from days of contractions, had anything to do with the slower recovery first time round,

KittyCatKittyCat Tue 22-Mar-16 22:08:06

I remember feeling much much better by 10 weeks, but like you was disappointed in myself for not healing quicker - as if that was something I could control! I'm not 6 months on, running and dancing again with no problems. It just takes time, frustratingly.

KittyCatKittyCat Tue 22-Mar-16 22:08:23

now, not not!

strangerjo Tue 22-Mar-16 22:53:45

Thanks everyone. I'm so miserable about the pain. It's around and above my scar - the skin is sore and hypersensitive and it feels that the muscles are too - a mix of nerve and muscle pain. Lots of people seem to have less or no pain by three weeks... I hope it goes.

Laquila Wed 23-Mar-16 01:53:12

I would definitely expect you to have less pain now than you did at the time of the op, of a couple of days later. Have you asked your HV for advice?

RhubarbAndMustard Wed 23-Mar-16 02:20:55

I'm 3 weeks post section like you and still bleeding a bit although only really need a panty liner.

I can still feel the scar, especially if I wear my maternity jeans (tried pre pregnancy jeans and no chance!). Am still finding yoga pants at home much more comfortable. I still can't really sleep on my side yet with ease and I get more soreness in the evenings, probably from doing too much in the day.

HandbagFan Wed 23-Mar-16 10:12:05

I'm 4 weeks post section and still bleeding although it's dropped off in the past couple of days. I find it's red after I pump or after a longer walk both of which I'm told are usual.

I have had no scar pain and the skin round it has been fine but I was tender in that area for a few weeks. It's gone now but I couldn't touch that part of my belly for 2-3 weeks after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now