Talk

Advanced search

Home birth + mice! Aah!

(8 Posts)
Mamakaz80 Fri 18-Mar-16 21:03:17

Hi all, I'm new here but desperate for advice. I'm 38.5 weeks pregnant and planning a home birth but we've just realised we have a mouse problem. Apart from the fact they are filthy I'm also freaking out about the fact that they could chew through the birth pool. I can't put poison down or lay traps as I've got a 2 year old and I'm considering a cat but I think that will bring its own problems with a toddler and a new born. Any ideas! Thanks x

TheCraicDealer Fri 18-Mar-16 21:16:40

I wouldn't waste any time trying stuff yourself; I'd call a pest contractor, explain the situation, see what they recommend and implement it immediately. You don't want to be in labour dealing with a minor escape of water or thinking about the mice when you're trying to relax, nor do you or your DP want to be worrying about looking at traps or whatever when you're wrangling a newborn and a toddler.

Scoopmuckdizzy Fri 18-Mar-16 21:45:37

Don't bother with a cat- we have 2 here and they both sat back and probably welcomed mice into our home. Agree that pest control is your best bet. Good luck!

Dixiechick17 Fri 18-Mar-16 21:59:18

You can get humane traps and out peanut butter in them, we caught a mouse that way

Dixiechick17 Fri 18-Mar-16 21:59:30

*put

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Fri 18-Mar-16 22:49:10

Ring the council - they will have a team to deal with this. It's also cheaper than a company and they guarantee to get rid it's part of the tax you pay

Mamakaz80 Sun 20-Mar-16 07:16:41

Thanks so much all. I think I'll try the council first. X

gillyweed Sat 26-Mar-16 22:36:17

We got mice just before my first, homebirth with pool too! I didn't even think about them chewing through the pool... is that not the larger variety of furry rodent that do that sort of thing?

How mobile is your 2 yr old and how secure are your rooms? I wouldn't use poison just in case, but traps should be fine, once your kid is in bed lay lots (chocolate and peanut butter are favourites in this house blush)and remove them first thing in the morning. Put clips/pegs on all food items or preferably in tins, halt their food source and they will stop coming in!

My labour started when I woke to a rather disturbing 'snap' sound, my dh refused to get up even though I insisted it was a trap going off - he went and sorted it pretty soon once he realised neither of us were going to get any more sleep that night! I birthed a baby and he disposed of a mouse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now