Talk

Advanced search

How quick after induction?

(22 Posts)
applesvpears Sun 13-Mar-16 20:35:52

I am being induced at 38 weeks on Tuesday (or Weds if there is no beds) this is due to type 1 diabetes. My midwife said prepare to be in for 3 days as it is my first baby. Has anyone else been induced? If so how long did it take before your baby arrived? I am guessing when induced later on it starts sooner, just wondering what happened to others smile

reynoldsnumber Sun 13-Mar-16 20:38:03

It took two days with number 1. I wished I'd slept more on night 1 when not much was happening but I was too excited! Then I was really tired when it all got moving the next night.

I was also induced for number 2. She was out 2 hours later! Completely different.

reynoldsnumber Sun 13-Mar-16 20:38:17

Oops, I meant to say good luck!

HeyMicky Sun 13-Mar-16 20:39:49

First pessary at 12 noon, another at 6pm, waters broken at midnight, DD2 born at 3am, home by midday.

Good luck!

HeyMicky Sun 13-Mar-16 20:40:39

Oh, and definitely take ear plugs and an eye mask. The ward was horrendously noisy and I couldn't sleep at all waiting for the pessary to work

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 13-Mar-16 20:41:18

I was induced at 38 and mine took 3 hours!!
Pessary was inserted at around 8:30am, and I was contracting about 30 mins later. Things slowed down a little, so a synto drip was started. My contraction really cranked up, to the point where there was hardly any break in between them. My dd was born just after midday.
My waters had already broken though - that was the reason for my induction. Waters had broken but labour did not start spontaneously. They like to induce after 24hrs to reduce the risk of infection to the baby.

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 13-Mar-16 20:41:56

38 weeks that should say!

MaryEllen1 Sun 13-Mar-16 21:03:08

Induced at 11am, waters broke on their own at 11:50pm, where the urge to push started and baby born 12:23am so pretty quick once it kicked off. I was 39+3

HandbagFan Mon 14-Mar-16 09:58:35

Induced at 40+12. First pessary went in on the Thursday at 6.30pm. Second pessary on Friday at 10.00pm. Gel on Saturday at 10.00. Nothing happened.

Decision to go for a C Section made on Sunday at 9.30am. Baby born Sunday at 18.30.

There's no way to predict how quickly it will work, or if it will work. In my case the baby would never have come out naturally but we didn't know that until the Sunday.

Timetogrowup2016 Mon 14-Mar-16 11:17:59

35 plus 3 here. Induced for pre eclampsia.
First pessary at 2:15am Sunday morning. Mild pains started at around midday Monday. Second pessary at 2:15am Monday morning. Bad period pains all day after that. Waters broke on their own at 5 am ish on Tuesday morning ready to push around 7:45 am baby born at 8:52am.
Good luck !

applesvpears Mon 14-Mar-16 19:31:53

Thank you everyone, it seems it varies quite a lot then! Thank you for the good luck messages, it is certainly starting to feel more real now smile

Paperblank Mon 14-Mar-16 22:22:26

I was induced at 38+1. Propess pessary inserted at 12.30pm on the Monday and by 7.00pm I started to have mild contractions.

Woke up on Tuesday having fairly regular contractions, had a sweep at 12.00 and went down to labour ward at 4.30pm because I was 4 cm dilated and they could rupture my membranes.

Waters were broken at 6.00pm and I had DD at 12.40am on the Wednesday morning. All in it was 36 hours for the induction.

You definitely need ear plugs and an eye mask, they really helped me to get some rest.

Hope all goes well OP flowers

duckbilled Mon 14-Mar-16 22:25:54

With DD1 my induction was over two days.... Take a book!

RingUpRingRingDown Mon 14-Mar-16 22:41:35

Gel at 9pm (had been waiting since 9am but they were short-staffed), in labour by midnight. Ds1 born 5 hours later. Was 38 weeks pg.

Ds2 no gel but had waters broken to bring on labour. In labour almost immediately. Ds2 came one hour later.

GlitteryFluff Tue 15-Mar-16 08:38:39

I went in on Tuesday and induction just didn't work. Nothing happened. So I had a semi planned and calm section on the Friday night. I was 12 days overdue when i went in, 15 when i had the section.
So yes to taking things to kill time, if it's not quick!

earthmoon Tue 15-Mar-16 15:37:55

Fellow type 1 here, for DS1 I was induced at 37 and my induction started on a Wednesday after six lots of induction gel on the Saturday I had given all hope up as I only had managed to reach 1cm. But before arranging c-section for me the Dr asked to see if I managed to dilate any further but during that ve my ,waters broke. I was then transferred to labour ward where I was placed on the drip, come Sunday I was only 2cm despite having had regular contraction since the Thursday. DS1 heart rate dipped once and that scared me enough to go along with c-section that I been told several times I could request, but I really wanted to avoid it.
My advice to you is to take lots of hypo treatment for yourself and take adequate testing strips. Good luck

Kenworthington Tue 15-Mar-16 15:49:39

Induced with dc1 at 42+2 and was a long painful 27 hour labour. Dc3 induced at 42+1 and was a 6 hour labour with no drugs! You just can't tell.

SweetAdeline Tue 15-Mar-16 15:54:39

Ive been induced twice at 38 weeks because of gestational diabetes. In both cases it took 3 days but 2 days of that was waiting for space in the delivery suite. Ie pessary dilated me a bit but didn't start labour...two days wait...they break my waters and start syntocin drip, baby born within 8hrs.

HeadTilt Fri 25-Mar-16 21:54:04

I was induced at 38w due to type 1 diabetes.

1st pessary late afternoon, 2nd at night. Started cramping overnight. First thing in the morning was checked and told I didn't need a 3rd. Waited for spot in labour suite. Taken down late morning and waters broken. Epidural mid/late afternoon. DD born at midnight.

Good luck, hope it goes well.

starry0ne Fri 25-Mar-16 21:58:47

I was induced at 39 weeks...First baby

Pessary inserted at 6.. Waters broke themselves at 10pm... Then Ds was born 2 hours and 20 minutes later...

doleritedinosaur Fri 25-Mar-16 22:01:12

Induced at 37 weeks due to sepsis.

I was already 1cm when pessary went in but cervix was back this was 9pm.
Woken up at 2:30am for blood pressure, constant contractions.
9am pessary falls out & 4cm sent to up to delivery.

12:45 waters broken after line is finally placed.

2:01pm baby born.

I was also told 3 days, I never got to read my book & my birthing partner never made it to the actual birth as doctors told her I'd be days.

Good luck with yours. Staying active helps.

strawberrypenguin Fri 25-Mar-16 22:05:19

Sorry OP I was induced at 38wks with my first for the same reason as you - took 3 and 1/2 days in total (but about 10 hrs from when they ruptured my waters) Will have to wait and see how long it will take to evict DC2 due in a couple of months!
It can vary greatly from person to person though! Hope it goes smoothly for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now