Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else on Labetalol and Heparin after giving birth?

(11 Posts)
CarrieLouise25 Tue 01-Mar-16 12:25:10

Hello all smile

Had my baby boy last week, home birth. 3rd labour, found very very tough.

Blood pressure went high after birth, kept going up, they tested for postpartum pre-eclampsia, luckily bloods were ok. Headaches, severely swollen feet and hands, plus SPD pain/sciatica so bad after birth...things have been hard.

However, now on Labetalol for reducing blood pressure, and now they want to give me heparin to thin my blood and reduce blood clot risk.

Anyone else in the same boat? Hoping no side effects to taking either or both together or any issues for breastfeeding. Doctors always tell you no, google tells you different and just after real experiences please.

Did your blood pressure go down etc was all ok?

Anyone who wants to share, please do. Been a scary time, but my beautiful baby is a welcome distraction smile

GastonsPomPomWrath Tue 01-Mar-16 12:32:48

I didn't have high blood pressure any time during my pregnancy or after labour. But I've had 5 children so was entitled to a weeks course of heparin injections. One a day, at night into my stomach. I had no side effects at all. The worst part was stabbing myself in the tum!

ShelaghTurner Tue 01-Mar-16 12:36:02

Was on labetalol after the birth of DD1 and had no side effects at all, BP went down after about 3 months.

Was on heparin after an ERPC and again, had the injections and no side effects. I know not exactly what you were asking but there were no problems with either. Someone far more helpful than me will be along in a minute!

Congratulations on your baby boy! flowers

CarrieLouise25 Tue 01-Mar-16 12:41:13

Thank you so much! It really helps to hear positive experiences smile

Jitterybug Tue 01-Mar-16 13:15:32

I had heparin and then clexane for 6 weeks after the birth of my DS and no side effects at all.

turkeysandwishes Tue 01-Mar-16 13:46:03

I finished a 7 week course of clexane yesterday, no side affects at all apart from bruises at the injection site

CarrieLouise25 Tue 01-Mar-16 13:55:20

Thanks Jittery, feeling a lot more reassured smile

CarrieLouise25 Tue 01-Mar-16 13:59:00

Hi Turkey, thanks for sharingsmile midwife mentioned soreness and bruising at injection area. Glad you've finished your course now, hope all well from now on smile

DefinitelyNotElsa Sat 05-Mar-16 20:05:05

Congrats on your new arrival!

I was put on labetalol at 32 weeks due to high BP. DD was eventually born at 38 weeks after being induced as my BP spiked.

DD is now 23 weeks old and I'm still on labetalol, although a much reduced dose. I was on 900mg plus 10mg of nifedipine a day when she was born, and now I'm just on 400mg of labetalol.

However, having spoken to midwives and my GP, I believe I am very much the exception rather than the norm. I feel perfectly well now and my BP is well controlled. I'm hoping by the time DD is one, I'll be off of it altogether.

kamillaw Mon 07-Mar-16 14:39:09

Labetalol 2ice here before babies born with atenolol after. No side effects. Am on labetalol again this pregnancy with no side effects! Good luck hope BP comes down x

CarrieLouise25 Mon 07-Mar-16 15:02:21

Thank you both smile

Have had horrendous headaches, but otherwise not too bad. Tummy very sore from injections, but hopefully doing it's job to keep me well.

BP seems to be going down slowly, which is a great relief! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now