Contraction.... Just 1!

(9 Posts)
Teddypom Mon 29-Feb-16 08:04:05

Hi ladies,
I'll be 39 weeks tomorrow and have been experiencing twinges all weekend.
Anyway, I was awoken this morning at 4:30 by, what felt like, a strong contraction. I reckon it lasted around 20 seconds and made me think "Here we go"! But that was it!!
Haven't felt anything since!
Has anybody else experienced anything similar? I feel a bit frustrated! TIA. xx

whifflesqueak Mon 29-Feb-16 08:07:25

I am getting seriously fed up with all the false alarms with my current pregnancy, so I sympathise.

hope things kick off for you shortly and you get to hold your squishy little leap baby!

KittyandTeal Mon 29-Feb-16 08:08:29

I had one big contraction the night I went into labour. It woke me up then nothing. Went back to sleep, woke up at 1 to go to the loo and waters went. Left for hospital straight away and was 6cm by the time I arrived.

Could be the start

genome Mon 29-Feb-16 08:10:19

It might just be a strong braxton hick. Contractions usually last about a minute, I could literally set a watch by mine!
A bounce on a birth ball or a walk might get things going if they are ready too. Don't knacker yourself out though, you will need the energy if it is the real thing.

Runningupthathill82 Mon 29-Feb-16 11:28:01

I had similar from 38 weeks onwards. I'd be woken in the night by very strong contractions which then petered out and stopped altogether by morning. Almost every night for two weeks!

Very annoying at the time, but they must have been doing something as I was 2cm dilated at my 39 week sweep.

And when it came to "real" labour at 40+2, I went to 10cm in under 3 hours. DD was out in just a few pushes - a total opposite of my long and traumatic first labour, which didn't have the same lengthy warm-up.

sherazade Mon 29-Feb-16 12:17:34

thanks running I really needed to hear something positive about false labour. Third baby here and 39 weeks pregnant and have been woken in the night for a week or more by very strong and even sometimes regular contractions that stop by morning. It is confusing and exhausting but hopefully doing something to my cervix.

TiggeryBear Mon 29-Feb-16 12:31:29

I've been experiencing this on odd nights for the past couple of weeks, I'm currently 37 weeks & getting fed up with waking up & feeling "this is it!" Excitement only for it all to subside in the next hour or so :-( just want baby to be here now!

Junosmum Mon 29-Feb-16 15:50:09

I had twinges for about a week, then went for a walk on New Years Day and half way through the walk had a definite contraction. Like you, thought 'here we go', then nothing. 3am next morning, waters went movie style and regular contractions about 30mins after that. It was around 12 hours from the one contraction to the waters going and full on labour.

Teddypom Mon 29-Feb-16 17:46:28

Nothing more to report.... Not even a twinge since!
Junosmum - you're story made me feel quite excited!!
Will keep you all posted. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now