Talk

Advanced search

C section or vaginal birth?

(10 Posts)
Katienew26 Sat 27-Feb-16 12:07:10

I'm due in about a months time and am beginning to feel very anxious about the birth.
I have a heart condition which was corrected when I was a child and doesn't really affect me now. I was always led to believe I would need to have a c section If I were to have children.
However I have now see my heart consultant who has advised that a section isn't necessary. They don't want me to be in pain though or do be pushing for long periods though. The plan is to give me an early epidural and for there to be no pushing until the very end stages.
I am worried though in case the baby might get stuck this way! I've read so many horror stories on here of forceps and tearing and am not sure if going through this is a good idea. I just want to do what is safer for me and the baby and c section just seems like it would be a much calmer of way of doing this.
I'm wondering whether to go back to the hospital and request a c section or to stick with the original plan. What do you all think is a better option? This is my first child
Thank you

Katienew26 Sat 27-Feb-16 12:19:30

Oh and go make things even more scarier my baby has measured over on the growth charts too so I have to have a growth scan. This makes a vaginal birth seem even more scary!

Sparklycat Sat 27-Feb-16 12:19:41

I was told to choose for my 2nd birth due to previous emergency section and after lots of thought I'm going for a c section as I only know one mum friend who has had no problems with the birth or after the birth, too many horror stories and things that can go wrong in a normal birth! I want my baby out safely and unharmed. I think you have to go with whatever your heart is telling you smile

Sparklycat Sat 27-Feb-16 12:20:14

I was told to choose for my 2nd birth due to previous emergency section and after lots of thought I'm going for a c section as I only know one mum friend who has had no problems with the birth or after the birth, too many horror stories and things that can go wrong in a normal birth! I want my baby out safely and unharmed. I think you have to go with whatever your heart is telling you smile

Sparklycat Sat 27-Feb-16 12:20:20

Sparklycat Sat 27-Feb-16 12:21:42

zannyminxoxox Sat 27-Feb-16 22:50:33

I have never had a c section but I have bigger babies and I tore with both but healed really well and hardly noticed I tore. I think with a c section scar you will be looking at a longer healing time. Labour is painful but there are drugs to help you through it don't be afraid to ask for them. I wouldn't want a c section unless absolutely necessary just because of the recovery time and the major opening the stomach surgery, that terrifies me personally

madwomanacrosstheroad Sat 27-Feb-16 23:11:45

I have had five babies, baby 1,2 and 4 fairly big. The first two times I had epidurals because we knew babies were big and the consultants had askede to consider section. Honestly, with a good epidural you will feel very little. Ds2 was and at 17 still is quite broadshouldered and nearly got stuck but was grand at the end without intervention. Would always try naturally first before going for major abdominal surgery.

BillBrysonsBeard Sun 28-Feb-16 19:00:21

I would go with C-section. A calm experience and you know when it will happen. There are so many unknowns with a natural birth... Yes it is painful after C-section but manageable.

mumchkin Wed 02-Mar-16 10:51:57

Reading between the lines it sounds like you would be calmer and happier with a c-section. An elective caesar is quite different to an emergency - very calm and the recovery is quick. I was walking the next day, off painkillers within a week and was fine to hold baby etc. This idea that the recovery from a c-section is long and painful isn't necessarily true for everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now