Twin Birth?

(22 Posts)
hotchilipepper Sun 21-Feb-16 16:54:27

Hi I'm 33+2 with dcda twin boys and I'm struggling to come a decision on how to have them.
It'll be at some point between 37 an 37+6 so not long to go.
I had an awful birth with DD, on paper it looks fine, spontaneous onset and delivered naturally but she was in distress and I found it really distressing because I thought I wasn't going to be taking a baby home at one point as her heart rate was dipping so low.
Anyway she was fine and almost 2 now.
I've been told I'll be induced and this is preferable but the option is there for a section as well but isn't recommended.
I've a scan and consultant appointment on Friday to discuss further (May be a non issue as twin 1 was breech at last check but I think he might have turned as I'm feeling a lot of pressure in my pelvis and down below so I'm wondering if he's engaging)
Just wondering what other twin mums did for their deliveries?
Many thanks.

aimees75 Tue 23-Feb-16 10:53:54

Hello I have just had non-id girls who are now 11 days old. I opted for a c-section at 37.1. I had had an prolapse due to 1st birth, and had suffered faecal incontinance after that for a year, and was worried about worsening the prolapse and or a repeat of the incontinance. I also felt so incredibly enormous and couldn't somehow face labour when that size, I could barely move. So I really did think a section was the better option. However, I was really unprepared for the amount of pain I would be in afterwards and it was very shocking, far worse than labour for me, and it rendered me completely in able to look after the babies for the first two days. I was pinned to the bed unable to move for 24 hours due to the pain and having a catheter in, then forced to get up the next day and go for a wee when I could barely walk. It has taken me 11 days to leave the house and I'm still wobbly on my feet. So in hindsight I may have opted for a vaginal birth.
That said, I think my recovery was hampered by coming down with a chest infection on the day of the section, which meant a lot of coughing, and some people have much less pain than I had.
I don't want to be negative, but I think you asked for other people's experiences.
All the best in whatever you decide, it's not an easy decision at all. I do think my pain was in the extreme side as the surgeon said he removed 10kg in total of babies and placenta.

ButtfaceMiscreant Tue 23-Feb-16 10:58:49

I had DCDA twin boys at 36+6 19 weeks ago. I had them vaginally as they were both cephalic presentation, although twin 1 was back to back so it was a very painful labour.

I was induced but was already 3cm so bypassed the pessary and had my waters broken when a delivery room was ready. I was lucky really as didn't need any further intervention (except the drip once twin 1 was delivered to ensure contractions continued to deliver twin 2, and forceps were brandished for twin 2 but I managed to get him out myself). The recovery was good as well, much better than after my induction for my DD thankfully.

Ultimately it is your decision; I was determined to avoid a C Section if I could as I had a toddler at home, but I have heard ELCS are better on the whole in terms of recovery than EMCS so might not be much in it.

Good luck; twins are awesome!

ButtfaceMiscreant Tue 23-Feb-16 11:01:05

Congratulations aimees75 on your newborns! I hope your recovery gets better soon; you poor thing having a chest infection at the same time, that really won't help. Don't push yourself, take things slowly and just enjoy your babies as you recover flowers

hotchilipepper Tue 23-Feb-16 12:47:49

Thankyou both for replying and congratulations, its a real quandary isn't it. I'm still really no further forward I keep going backwards and forwards over it. I'm pretty scared of having an EMCS and keep going back to that. Inmight wait and see what position they're in on Friday twin 1 was breech 2 weeks ago so he might have already made the choice for me.

aimees75 Tue 23-Feb-16 18:39:04

Thanks Buttface! Just settling into life at home with them. So far things are not too bad but they are sleepy still.
Chillipepper, it's a difficult decision. My obstetrician told me that there has been a large meta study recently which showed that both methods of delivery are fairly comparable wth regards to outcomes for babies. I had thought perhaps a section was safer but she did not seem to agree.
Best of luck it's a tough decision. You may feel better if you had help deciding from a midwife or consultant.

hotchilipepper Sat 27-Feb-16 06:15:16

Well I went in expecting to come out with a section date and came out empty handed. Twin 1 is still breech yet they still think he'll turn. I pointed out I'd still like a section anyway and they wont book one without a clinical need.
I've got to go back on 8th march for another scan and to assess breech twins position before they make a decision. I really cant see why I'm not getting any say in this at all.
If twin 1 is cephalic I still want the section yet I'm being ignored.
I'm so ready for this to be over.

Kingofthestupids Sat 27-Feb-16 07:04:06

I had my twins vaginally 15 months ago. T1 back to back, T2 breech. The induction and delivery were fine and I was up and about with no issues straight away. However, the fear of what may happen during the birth was terrifying. I can well imagine how nervous you are if you had a difficult 1st birth. Wait and see if T1 turns, if they don't (and at 33 weeks they must be quite wedged) then it'll probably be a c-section as standard.

And congratulations, twins are great smile

ButtfaceMiscreant Sat 27-Feb-16 11:52:38

Did they say why they won't do a c section anyway? It might be that your twin1 doesn't change presentation but if he does I think you need to be firm with the doctors. I was adamant I wanted to try for a normal delivery if I could, but the doctors were very keen for a c section I think, as I suppose it is the "least risky" as it is pre-planned, non-emergency, and it doesn't risk one baby being born vaginally and the second via a c section. But they should be listening to you so at your next appointment I would go armed with your reasons for a section, and ask them if they wont consider it, why not.

Fingers crossed you can give birth the way you wish smile

Mermaid36 Sat 27-Feb-16 12:01:25

I'm assuming options are different for the types of twins...

I'm pregnant with MCDA twins and have been told that if twin 1 isn't head down, it's an automatic c-section. There are only 2 presentations for twins that would mean a vaginal birth, and even then, I've been told that the medical teams advice might still be a section....

Mind you, as long as I get them both out safely, I don't care what happens...

ButtfaceMiscreant Sat 27-Feb-16 12:26:39

I think it's the same for DCDA twins, at least that is what I was told with mine. DT1 had to be head down or it would be c section. I was scanned during my labour to be completely sure that that was still the case, otherwise I would have been whipped off to surgery despite the fact his head was so low down in my pelvis they could never get his head measurement during growth scans

That was my stand Mermaid ; I didn't care if my wish of a vaginal birth wasn't granted, I just wanted to take 2 babies home with me.

hotchilipepper Sat 27-Feb-16 17:28:01

It is the same for DCDA twins, it will be a section if twin 1 is still breech. I get the distinct impression that if he does turn they will try and bully me into an induction. They refused to book me in for a section yesterday as they said there was no clinical reason at this point.
I'm just hoping he wont turn now, they're estimated at 5.5lbs each and they feel really squashed in so logically I don't see how they can turn.

PoppitFox Tue 08-Mar-16 09:45:18

Hope it goes well today OP, let us know xx

possum18 Tue 08-Mar-16 09:56:46

Just marking my place on here! I'm 32+2 with DCDA boys and hoping for a vaginal delivery, both were head down at last scan. Good luck and please let us know, very nosy interested X

hotchilipepper Tue 08-Mar-16 12:52:20

Well I'm 35&4 today, twin 1 is still breech. The consultant still seems to think he'll turn. Twin 1s estimated weight is 6lb and twin 2 is 7lb. The midwife thinks there is zero chance of them moving at this point as they're too big. The consultant reluctantly booked me in for an ELCS for 2 weeks time but still seems to think an induction will be an option so I have to go back for a presentation scan in a week. Now CS is booked I'm going to refuse an induction.
I'm terrified on CS but even more so of a normal birth. So hopefully it'll be a section for me in 2 weeks. X

possum18 Tue 08-Mar-16 15:11:11

By the sounds of it a cs is what you were hoping for so in glad you'll have the birth you wanted. Is it exciting having a date set now?
Good luck with it all thanks

Theydidit Tue 08-Mar-16 16:08:19

I had my twins vaginally after induction but honestly if I had to do it again I'd definitely go for a section. I was bullied into it by the hospital who made out that it was the norm as long as twin 1 was head down but clearly that's rubbish bc all the midwives I saw for post natal on the ward and community were shocked. It was not a great experience for us. Everything turned out fine in the end and that's all that really matters but it was touch and go. Also twin 2 had quite a few birth related problems which thankfully are fine now but honestly it seems like an unnecessary risk to me so well done for sticking to your guns and getting your cs booked in.

ButtfaceMiscreant Tue 08-Mar-16 16:30:57

I'm sorry your experience of a twin vaginal birth wasn't so positive Theydidit, but in case those yet to have their twins are worried, you can have a positive twin induction ending in a vaginal birth. I think it is dependent on a few different factors, and every birth is different, but it is a possibility and not necessarily any more risk than a c-section. I found my twin induction a lot better than my singleton induction, and my recovery was smoother and quicker too. Not belittling your experience but didn't want to worry anyone wanting a vaginal birth!

possum18 Tue 08-Mar-16 17:51:42

Buttface thank you for the reassurance on both sides of the coin! Both mine are head down and my consultant is hoping for a natural delivery, I'm pretty open minded and looking into all avenues - but great to hear experiences from all options smile

hotchilipepper Thu 17-Mar-16 04:10:47

Well I had my last clinic appointment on Tuesday and they are thoroughly wedged in, twin 1 still breech and twin 2 cephalic so section will go ahead on Tuesday. Had my 2 lots of steroids and now to make sure everything is ready.
Good lord!!
Thanks for support, hopefully ill update you all then if not before and also I hope for those of you who have not delivered you have the birth yii want and all goes well xxx

possum18 Thu 17-Mar-16 07:10:05

Good luck for Tuesday! How exciting it must be lovely to have a date set and know when you'll be meeting them thankssmile

ButtfaceMiscreant Thu 17-Mar-16 07:32:29

I am so pleased you finally got your cs booked in smile

Best of luck for Tuesday! Not long now before your world is turned upside down (for the better) flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now