VBAC or caesarean?

(40 Posts)
verytiredmummy1 Tue 16-Feb-16 09:16:11

I had a category one emergency c section in 2015 due to baby getting stuck in birth canal. I've been told that I have a choice this time whether I try for a VBAC or elective caesarean. What did you choose? How was it? I was up and about a couple of hours after my c section last time. Is there any chance they'll let me have a water birth this time?

Sorry for all the questions. Don't have consultant for a while and want to go to appt prepared!
X

MrsBenWyatt Tue 16-Feb-16 11:25:15

I had a category 1 section for a placental abruption in 2013.

Due DC3 in a fortnight and I am having an ELCS. Consultant asked me what I preferred and I immediately said section, which he thought was a sensible choice.

I went for ELCS as I can't be induced following my last section and I don't want to risk going over due date in case I have another abruption (unlikely, but as there were no warnings last time and I was stupidly lucky to already be in the hospital, which is 30 minutes from home, when it happened). I am looking forward to having some element of control over the birth.

I recovered really well from the crash section, so I am confident that recovery from an ELCS will be even more straightforward. I have had a VB before, and I have no feelings of sorrow that I won't do it again, despite it being completely gone and relatively 'easy'.

Sparklycat Tue 16-Feb-16 13:35:54

How funny I just logged on to ask the same question. I had an EMC under general anaesthetic due to babies heart flat lining and have a choice to make now. I was never in full blown labour so have no experience of that.

I was originally wanting to have a Vbac as I'd love to experience birth and have a nice calm natural water birth but then I thought about all the things that can go wrong in a vaginal birth, either with mum or baby, and i can only thing of one friend who has had a birth without complications. I think because of this I'm going to choose a C Section again as I could never forgive myself if I choose to try a Vbac and something happened to my baby, I want someone to lift him safely out! I don't mind about the hideous pain/ recovery after as I've done it once so can get through it again. I do feel a bit sad that I will never experience 'birth' though as that's something I did struggle with after my emc.

Am really interested in everyone else's reasons/decisions/story's so please post!

Cinnamon2013 Tue 16-Feb-16 13:41:57

I had an EMCS first time and really wasn't sure about what to do this time. In the end I opted for an ELCS - a vbac would have been on labour ward with continuous monitoring and after the previous time I knew I wouldn't be able to stay calm.

I had my DD by ELCS last Thursday. The surgeon was really receptive to my birth preferences (eg dropping curtain so we could see moment of birth). It was beautiful and calm. I was out of hospital and home in 30 hours. It was completely different. Everyone has to make their own choice based on their specific experience... But I found it extremely positive. Good luck with your decision. A birth debrief on the first birth helped me reach mine, you can request that.

PoohBearsHole Tue 16-Feb-16 13:46:34

Had a VBAC after EMC. It was fab and I was really lucky, never went into full labour with dc1 due to complications of pre-eclampsia. Wasn't induced but had a sweep, dc2 was 7 days pre due date. I was undecided up until the birth though - it was hot summer, different hospital etc etc and so wasn't keen to stay in with a cs BUT couldn't be induced smile due to EMC previously.

As it happens decision was taken out of my hands as dc2 came the day I was going to book in with my consultant for a cs. Don't regret it in the slightest and did find it easier as had a 2.5 yo at home who wanted to be lifted. Think is I wasn't overweight I might have considered the CS more thoroughly but I had struggled to get moving again after the EMC and that made me feel far worse than being up and on my feet post VBAC.

Ultimately YOUR choice, however I found my VBAC to be a far nicer experience than I was expecting smile hth

lfitzgerald100 Tue 16-Feb-16 13:59:35

I had an emcs 7 years ago due to eclampsia and baby in distress, I have chosen to have a elcs this time round (6 days time Eeek!) as the first one left me petrified of trying to labour and ending up having to have an emcs again, also I am expecting a 11-12lb baby and I'm in the 95 percentile for my amniotic fluid so chances of having problems are higher.

But it is down to you and your personal choice.
Depending on how your pregnancy is going so far they should let you try for a water birth. I was given the option but it was to be under close supervision.

It's always worth asking and make a list to take with you to your consultant to ask.

FrazzleRock Tue 16-Feb-16 14:34:42

Oooh watching with interest....
I've had one EMCS (DS1 got stuck trying to come out ear first) and one ELCS (DS2 was breech). This time I'm seriously considering a VBAC providing this one plays ball.

trilbydoll Tue 16-Feb-16 14:39:54

I had an emcs because dd1 got stuck, so opted for an elcs with dd2 on the basis that it could have happened again. I'm confident it was the right choice, dd2 has a giant head!

I was in a lot more pain initially after the elcs, I really struggled the first 2w to do anything more than shower. After that I got better really quickly.

Tootsieglitterballs Tue 16-Feb-16 14:48:11

We aren't expecting yet, but had an EMCS a year ago. We are hoping to 'try' later in the year. It's taken me a year to get over a very traumatic indication, labour and finally section - this time last year I was never having any more children!

Now I've come round to the idea of having another, I would like to try a VBAC but have a water birth. If I can't have a water birth, it will be an elective section.

I was induced, had double contractions, and averaged 6 contractions every 10 mins (which were then doubled apparently) for about 22 hours, on my back, with a back to back baby, and then ended up with the section, followed by finding strep B, so I'm not sure I'll be allowed a water birth!!

Cinnamon2013 Tue 16-Feb-16 14:55:56

Bloody hell Tootsie, I'm exhausted just reading about your first birth... You're a warrior

Tootsieglitterballs Tue 16-Feb-16 15:26:01

Did I mention I had diamorphine and was off my rocker for a few hours , they then found a tear in surgery, I started to pass out as i wasn't allowed any food or drink whilst being induced (had nothing to eat or drink for 36 hours except for water with some paracetamol for a migraine during labour!) , then has a big infection in my c section which took 3 weeks to clear, and then my section scar reopened 9 months later!!

StopShoutingAtYourBrother Tue 16-Feb-16 15:35:52

I nearly had a c section for dc1 when she got stuck in my birth canal too. I assume you're referring to shoulder dystopia? They managed to get her out vaginally but it was a close thing and it took me a long time to recover as the doctors had to be very forceful in getting her out.
I chose to have a c section for dc2 as ultimately they couldn't say that he too wouldn't also get stuck but they did know due to the severity of the birthing issues with dc1 I would need very close supervision. frankly I was unwilling to put myself and dc2 in that position again as the statistics show that you are significantly more likely to have shoulder dystocia if you already had it before, although they're not sure what causes it. For me it was totally the right decision and far less risky all things on balance.
Fwiw I recovered far quicker from my c section.
Good luck.

Wardrobespierre Tue 16-Feb-16 15:37:29

I had an 8hr second stage after a 31hr labour with double contractions. Episiotomy, 3 failed ventouse, attempted manual rotation, foetal distress and a cat 1 emcs and pph. DD has been back to back for most of labour but turned OT and asynclitic so was coming out ear first. I was v traumatised and swore no more.

When I had dc2, I wanted a vbac in water. I had another ot baby and emcs.

The recoveries were so easy though. If I had a third, which I won't, I'd have an elcs.

MrsMarigold Tue 16-Feb-16 15:44:08

EMCS for DC1, with DC2 didn't really want a VBAC and would have preferred an ELCS but DC2 arrived three weeks early and it was a very short labour - three hours from the first contraction to her arrival. I had a sort of premonition this would happen, DC1 arrived three weeks early too.

Tootsieglitterballs Tue 16-Feb-16 16:46:13

Wardrobe - those doubles are hell aren't they sad

I've been advised I'll likely have a B2B , and these double contractions again so I think ELCS may be my best option. Don't want to go through what we went through again.

ValancyJane Tue 16-Feb-16 17:22:04

I had an EMCS two and a half weeks ago due to slow labour, back to back baby, meconium in waters, baby in distress with heartrate dipping, cord was round her in three places etc. I've already decided that when we have another baby I will opt for an ELCS; I don't really feel the need to experience a vaginal delivery!

Wardrobespierre Tue 16-Feb-16 19:49:20

Tootsie, I felt so robbed. I couldn't even manage the peaked contractions with a rest inbetween that the textbooks promised. The doubles meant that I was contracting for 2.5 mins at a time with a 30 second break during which it still fooking hurt like buggery. I know now that it was a positional issue. DD wasn't applying the right pressure so the contractions were trying to do what her head couldn't. My waters also broke out of the blue which started labour and I know that it was her malposition which caused that too. My body wasn't ready and she wasn't ready. Second time round my waters went at 36 weeks and with no warning. The cons had already warned it was likely as dc2 was in the same silly position. I knew then that it'd be another emcs. It was fab though. I had a natural cs which dh watched and it was brilliant.

Anomite Tue 16-Feb-16 19:58:03

I had an ELC first time round for breech presentation which was stubborn and would not move! I certainly tried everything including an ECV...😳..

2nd time round I had a choice.. I decided to try for a VBAC.. I had no experience of labour last time, and found the whole fact that I had the choice taken away from me the first time quite upsetting. I didn't recover that well from the csection, and it was the thought of that really that made me want to try for a VBAC, especially with a two year old..

I'm glad I did it, it certainly was an eye opener, not particularly enjoyable.. there were times that I was screaming for a csection through out labour- but I did it. It was a great sense of achievement, and I really do feel that my recovery was so much quicker and easier.

Whatever option you decide- one is no better than the other. A birth is a birth whatever way they come out! Good luck!

Cuttheraisins Tue 16-Feb-16 20:04:33

I also had em c section with DS1, was overdue, induced, long labour, I developed some kind of infection during labour and temperature peeked, passed out because of low blood pressure, ds in distress, c section. It was hard to recover but no infection and everything was ok as soon as I was out of hospital.

DS2 I thought, I'll have a planned c section, went into labour the day that my c section was booked, was 6 cm by the time I got to hospital. So I decided there and then to go for v bac. But again, temperature peeked, baby went into distressed and I ended up with a second emergency c section! But you know what, it was absolutely fine, obviously hindsight is a great thing and I should have asked for a c section straight away but hey, if you go in with an open mind then there is less of a disappointment. I wasn't all 'pro vbac' as I knew there was a good chance of a c section, but everybody was fine and healthy.

Whenwillwe3meetagain Tue 16-Feb-16 20:17:03

I was due to have an ELCS due to huge baby and it turned into an EMCS as baby heart rate dropped.
I'd have no doubt about having another section, I don't feel I missed out on not giving birth and I'm glad to miss out on potential birth injuries.

Loulou2kent Tue 16-Feb-16 20:17:24

DS1 EMCS wanted a VBAC more than anything. Did everything I thought I was meant to & ended up with another EMCS. I kind of wish I hadn't got my hopes up about the VBAC. It's your body & your choice. If you have to have an EMCS again after trying for VBAC then I would suggest looking at it like an planned CS. Just take everything you might need & know that it's ok if it goes that way too. smile would love the next one to be VBAC but they've already warned me that next one will prob be best to be a planned section. Goodluck OP X X

cheapandcheerful Tue 16-Feb-16 20:20:25

Dd1 was a very frantic emcs following a 36hr labour. Not fun.

For dd2 I tried for vbac but at the slightest sniff that something was not right during labour, everyone was quick to agree on a cs again.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 16-Feb-16 20:22:19

*I had an ELC first time round for breech presentation which was stubborn and would not move! I certainly tried everything including an ECV...😳..

2nd time round I had a choice.. I decided to try for a VBAC.. I had no experience of labour last time, and found the whole fact that I had the choice taken away from me the first time quite upsetting. I didn't recover that well from the csection, and it was the thought of that really that made me want to try for a VBAC, especially with a two year old..

I'm glad I did it, it certainly was an eye opener, not particularly enjoyable.. there were times that I was screaming for a csection through out labour- but I did it. It was a great sense of achievement, and I really do feel that my recovery was so much quicker and easier.*

This was me!!! Word for word!! Snap!!!

verytiredmummy1 Tue 16-Feb-16 20:50:44

Thank you ladies. I just can't decide! I'm convinced I'll go for one way and then I read something and change my mind. My little one wasn't shoulder dystocia (sp?!) but face presentation. I was induced and then a long labour and she changed the position of her head and started looking straight out and got stuck. They tried ventouse and didn't work so taken for the cat 1 c section. The anaesthetic didn't work so they gave me a general. So frightened of it happening again!!

StopShoutingAtYourBrother Tue 16-Feb-16 22:00:58

I suppose for me by having a CS I knew I could control the birthing experience but if I'd gone for a second vaginal birth I would have been tense throughout pregnancy and birth that I'd have the same problem (no doubt making it more likely). Anyway, that's my experience. I know good friends who had very positive vsginal second births so I think it's something that really varies from person to person with no right or wrong answer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now