Advanced search

Who do you have to inform when baby is born?

(21 Posts)
goodnightdarthvader1 Tue 09-Feb-16 21:01:21

This might be a daft question, but what "agencies" do you have to tell when your baby is born?

- register the baby's birth
- register at GP
- register for passport (when needed)

Less obviously:
- car insurance?
- home insurance?
- anyone else?


OP’s posts: |
meditrina Tue 09-Feb-16 21:03:39

Register for child benefit.

Update your wills.

Marmite27 Tue 09-Feb-16 21:03:54

I/we only did the top 3, do I really have to tell the car/house insurance people confused

meditrina Tue 09-Feb-16 21:04:57

I don't think you do.

But it's a good time to review the level of life assurance cover you have.

Thenightswatch Tue 09-Feb-16 21:06:05

Car and house insurance? Do they need to know? I'm nearly due with dc3 and didn't know my car insurance needed telling confused what difference does it make to them?

Marmite27 Tue 09-Feb-16 21:09:51

Actually no, she's registered at the dentist too. I was due in for a check up the Monday after she was born on the Friday, so she came along.

And she has a bank account. Life insurance is through work and she's automatically covered as my dependant (same for DH), same for private Heath insurance.

We did the child benefit forms, but really should update our wills.

cheeseandcrackers Tue 09-Feb-16 21:12:44

European Health Insurance Card if you're going to be travelling within Europe

goodnightdarthvader1 Tue 09-Feb-16 22:00:43

Good one, cheese

Don't think we qualify for child benefit.

Should clarify, I don't know if we have to tell home / car insurance, I was asking smile

OP’s posts: |
AveEldon Tue 09-Feb-16 22:04:21

Child benefit is universal
Even if you earn to much that you will get in clawed back in tax you should claim it first and then tell them not to pay you (this way you qualify for home responsibility protection for the state pension)

mrsleomcgary Thu 11-Feb-16 10:43:53

You dont HAVE to tell car insurance however when it comes to renewal let them know as having a child seems to reduce your premium. DD1 saved me £50!

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 11-Feb-16 13:46:43

Thanks both

OP’s posts: |
Autumn2014 Sat 13-Feb-16 14:11:34

I got my son a library card. Took his red book to get him registered. Never too young to read to them and libraries often have other community information points that are useful to parents.

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 13-Feb-16 17:00:29

Good call autumn, thanks

OP’s posts: |
fakenamefornow Sat 13-Feb-16 17:04:15

I don't think that's true about cb Age. I spoke to the helpline about this at length, they told me it wouldn't make a difference to pension benefits. I wasn't working at the time.

fakenamefornow Sat 13-Feb-16 17:05:10

Best double/triple check though, don't take my word for it op.

dementedpixie Sat 13-Feb-16 17:08:55

You should apply for child benefit but opt out of the payment if one of you earns over £60K. Between £50-£60K you lose some of the payment so would have to pay some back via self assessment tax return.

Applying for child benefit does give National Insurance credits which count towards the state pension

dementedpixie Sat 13-Feb-16 17:10:24

fakenamefornow Sat 13-Feb-16 17:32:15

Maybe that's it, maybe I am registered but opted out of payment. I know I don't get anything. My eldest is 10 though so we did get it before it was made means tested.

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 13-Feb-16 19:18:24

My DH earns £54k. I'm a bit fuzzy on whether it's worth applying. I'm self-employed so do a tax return yearly anyway. What's the difference between being registered and not - is it just the pension thing?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sat 13-Feb-16 19:24:26

You would get to keep some of the money if the highest earner earns £54K. It is the higher earner that would do the tax return so if that was your dh then he would have to register for self assessment and do a tax return too.

dementedpixie Sat 13-Feb-16 19:25:18

The amount starts to reduce from £50k and you would pay it all back once you reach £60K

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in