Talk

Advanced search

sweeps

(6 Posts)
LaurenK123 Tue 09-Feb-16 20:15:46

hi,
I am overdue now at 41 weeks tomorrow and really wanted a water birth I have since found out that being induced could reduce my chances of having this option if the hormone drip is needed to kick start labour so I'm writing to find out how effective a second sweep has been for others as the midwife is coming to do one tomorrow? otherwise I'm due to be induced on the 15th.

PurplePotatoes Tue 09-Feb-16 20:20:34

Hi
I had two sweeps which were unsuccessful even though I was already 2cm dilated and I had to be induced with the drip. Once you have the drip a water birth is definitely out of the question unfortunately as you will have to be strapped up to the monitor to check baby's heartbeat. If they decide to just do pessary/break your waters first and see how you go then you should be OK in the pool. I had my waters broken and drip put in at same time though, not quite sure why.
Good luck flowers

1AngelicFruitCake Wed 10-Feb-16 06:44:38

I was worried about this so had a sweep in due date then one a week later. Second one worked. During the second sweep I tried to relax as much as possible to really let her 'go for it!' maybe I would have gone into labour anyway!

TheLittleLion Thu 11-Feb-16 00:18:26

I went into labour on the night of my second sweep.. I was 9 days overdue though so it could have just been coincidence.
Good luck!

sallykins123 Thu 11-Feb-16 21:03:12

I had my first sweep when I was 4 days OD, my cervix was 'long and hard, located at the back' so it was difficult for sweep to be done. Had second sweep 9 days OD, 3 days before induction and was again told cervix not in the right place, but she managed to do the sweep just and it hurt that time, like a dull ache feeling. That night I went into labor and DD was born! The second sweep did the trick for me.

lynholmerpark Thu 11-Feb-16 21:34:46

Induction for being 'overdue' is your choice not a hospital requirement. If you are otherwise low-risk, talk to your midwife about what other options are available to you. If you decide on induction the oxytocin drip is part of a package (again you have a choice) after pessaries and breaking of your waters have occurred. Either or both of these may be sufficient to bring in labour and won't prevent you using the water.

In terms of sweeps, effectiveness of these will depend on how receptive your cervix is. You could continue to have these regularly up to deciding to go for induction.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now