Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Induction - can I do this?!

(14 Posts)
vodkaredbull Fri 05-Feb-16 21:56:40

So I'm on the ward. 12 hours into an induction at 38+1 due to gestational diabetes. Starting to feel like I can't do this.

First prostin gel given at lunchtime. No contractions. 6 hours later CTG which started very frequent contractions. Internal showed no dilation at all.

Second gel given. Still contracting. DH sent home for the night.

The internals are painful enough to make me beg for mercy. Really starting to feel like I can't do this. Especially when it'll probably fail.

Gazelda Fri 05-Feb-16 22:03:54

You can do this. I promise.

Keep moving around as much as possible, ask the midwives what pain relief they can offer. I was on paracetamol then they deigned to give me gas and air. Then I suddenly started dilating and DD was on her way.

Good luck x

HarryOHay Fri 05-Feb-16 22:05:01

Don't give up!

I was induced at 38w. Nothing happened after 2 gels except extreme boredom!

My waters were then broken and DD was here less than 2 hours later!

Good luck

MissBattleaxe Fri 05-Feb-16 22:10:05

Keep walking around, don't lie down. Good luck!

bonzo77 Fri 05-Feb-16 22:15:11

Had similar with ds1. The internals hurt as they were found sweeps each time. Same with when they put the gels in. Without my consent. I only realised years later after reading threads on MN. Correct me if I'm wrong, but VEs should not hurt. Ice had plenty and it's only those during that induction that hurt. Sweeps do if your cervix is not ripe.

vodkaredbull Fri 05-Feb-16 22:55:14

Thanks everyone. I've had internals that don't hurt but the ones I've had today are agony.

The somewhat matronly senior midwife has just declared lights out (!) so walking may be out of the question tonight. I've asked for paracetamol though.

Hopefully things will seem a bit more positive in the morning.

sandylion Fri 05-Feb-16 23:10:04

Ask for gas and air for.uoir internals. I refused to have them without it!

TattieHowkerz Sun 07-Feb-16 00:39:12

Walk the corridors and have a hot bath or shower.

Consider an epidural when things get going.

Takes me back... Induced with diabetes at 38 weeks 4 years ago. Now onto baby 2! Good luck.

CrunchieFeeling Sun 07-Feb-16 01:15:49

I was induced at 38+1 with gestational diabetes :-)

Definitely walk about if it helps. They offered me a bath which I was so grateful for - maybe see if there's any chance? Labour isn't just for the daytime hours so don't worry about lights out!

In a little while you'll get to the gas and air. Good stuff! I remember it fondly as the best bit about labour (obviously aside from actually having the babies! ;-) )

Good luck x

vodkaredbull Sun 07-Feb-16 09:28:02

Three days in. I'm not dilating at all. More horrific sweeps than I can count. Another examination in 5 minutes but no pain relief ever given.

I've asked about a section which they were OK with last night but today they say no. I've been in agony for days and baby isn't happy either.

Still haven't seen a doctor.

This is hell.

Hopelass Sun 07-Feb-16 09:44:18

Omg op are you the lady who also has/had the noisy fuckwit neighbour on the ward?! I'd seriously consider making a complaint via PALS it sounds like you're having a terrible time sad
Best of luck and fingers crossed you can have your baby very soon thanks

vodkaredbull Sun 07-Feb-16 09:54:29

Yes that's me! New neighbour just arrived. Stinks like an ashtray.

I'm going to go through pals when all of this is over because it's not OK. Been on CTG for an hour because they're too busy to see me! I've got at least another day of sitting here in pain.

MissBattleaxe Sun 07-Feb-16 12:38:25

OP, you're having a terrible time. I was induced and after 24 hours of unproductive non dilating labour they gave me an EMCS. They need to pay you more attention. Keep complaining and escalate when you get no joy. I would have written a formal complaint about the midwife who offered you drugs instead of dealing with the IPhone woman. ( Although obviously wait til you've had the baby)

Good luck and don't let anyone fob you off.

bonzo77 Sun 07-Feb-16 14:08:12

This sounds awful. As I said up thread I've been there. You said baby is not happy. Are there any concerns about baby, like on the CTG? My early induction was for reduced fluid and reduced movements. Eventually after 3 days I said to the doctor that the consultant had started induction due to risk to the baby. That I was now so tired that I felt unable to manage labour. That I was worried that this very long process was now risking a tragic outcome and I wanted a CS as soon as possible. we were in theatre within 10 minutes.

I suggest that you 1. Kick up a major fuss. Polite but very very firm. Make the point that they wouldn't have suggested induction if there wasn't a good reason.
2. Say that you are worried about the baby. Describe its movements. Loudly note any changes. Tell them EVERY SINGLE TIME baby seems quiet.
3. Get the number for PALS or find out where their office is. Call them from your bed. Within ear shot of staff.
4. Refuse any further VE's without pain relief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now