We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fast pulse during labour

(10 Posts)
goodnightdarthvader1 Wed 03-Feb-16 16:53:49

My pulse has been around 115 bpm during pregnancy,abd I'm now 38+4 with no sign of it calming down. My midwife tells me that if it's this high in labour, they'll want to get fluids in me via an IV and won't let me in the birthing pool. That's my plan A for pain relief! Does anyone have experience of this and how did it affect your labour?

CarrotPuff Wed 03-Feb-16 20:00:08

Are you drinking enough? I had rapid pulse after labour, which they thought was down to dehydration. Once I drank more water it slowed down.

goodnightdarthvader1 Wed 03-Feb-16 20:13:41

I was monitored in hospital, they made me drink 3 bottles of water, it didn't help. Will try to keep hydrated though.

FelicityBennett Wed 03-Feb-16 20:49:04

Has anyone checked your thyroid? Was your pulse high before pregnancy?

goodnightdarthvader1 Wed 03-Feb-16 21:37:42

Yes and no smile

LumpySpaceCow Wed 03-Feb-16 22:33:46

Are you anaemic? What is your pulse normally? Surely your pulse in pregnancy should be your baseline and then act on any deviations from that? Does your pulse not go up anyway in labour due to pain? Should they not look at it in conjunction with other observations (temp, BP etc) rather just in isolation?
Sorry not much help, these are just questions that I would want to ask a doctor who may be able to advise more than the MW.

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 04-Feb-16 10:03:09

Lumpy, that was my thought (that surely it would go up in labour anyway!) - however it's in my notes as being raised so I can't pretend it's not been an ongoing issue.

I am anemic, no idea what my pulse is normally but no one has ever mentioned it before.

Mummyme87 Thu 04-Feb-16 12:01:27

If you are persistently tachycardic you need an ECG, ECHO and 24hr tape to rule out any anomalies.

Increase fluid intake. And yes if you still have a high pulse you will be advised to birth on labour ward. Your pulse will also most likely go up again in labour

A1Sharon Thu 04-Feb-16 14:22:41

Yes, i would second a thyroid check.

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 04-Feb-16 16:58:28

I've had 2 ECGs (apparently normal but still fast pulse), thyroid is fine, and I already know I'm being admitted to the labour ward. Fluid intake didn't help last time I was monitored, but will try to keep hydrated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now