Talk

Advanced search

Cost of hospital extras

(7 Posts)
Almondbiscotti Mon 25-Jan-16 21:55:22

How much is your own room? Own midwife etc?

dementedpixie Mon 25-Jan-16 21:56:35

Are you going private? Don't think you can buy any extras otherwise

ByThePrickingOfMyThumbs Mon 25-Jan-16 22:03:28

Do you mean privately or on the NHS? If going private then you get a private room by default. And when you delivered you would also have a midwife or two all to yourself with no other patients to look after.

On the NHS? A few private rooms are usually theoretically available on the postnatal ward for a fee (£60-70 a night?) but it depends on availability. On the one night I spent on the ward they were all full.

You can pay for a private midwife but you cannot reserve an NHS midwife as your own.

SmallGreenBouncyBall Mon 25-Jan-16 22:04:53

usually it's either nhs or private. not a mix of both.
private is expensive, I think 10k is a realistic number.

Almondbiscotti Mon 25-Jan-16 22:06:22

Sorry I meant on NHS

jinxdragon Mon 25-Jan-16 22:27:56

I had the option of paying £30 a night for a private room postnatally. If any were available of course. I decided against as I was a bit worried I would be forgotten on nurse rounds etc if I was tucked away in there. Probably irrational. I can definitely see some up sides to it but I don't know if it is offered in all hospitals.

Salmiak Mon 25-Jan-16 22:30:14

Whether you get your own room depends on the hospital, have a look round your local maternity ward that way you know what to expect.

I was exceptionally lucky with both births - went to the midwife led unit, had a lovely large clean private room ( with a bed, a couch thing, a reclining chair, and a swinging rope thing to hang on during labour and private bathroom) with dd 1. Labour was quick so the same midwife was with me through my labour/ her shift.

Went to the same unit for ds. Again got private room, then moved to another private room with a birthing pool. Once ds was born, placenta delivered and I'd showered I went back to my original room and stayed there. I didn't have the same midwife throughout, but did have a student doctor in with me (to observe the birth) and he was lovely and very helpful (ran out to the vending machines a couple of times to buy me cola, held the g&a nozzle at the perfect height for me) .

I loved my labours and I love the nhs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now