premature birth / term birth

(5 Posts)
WannaBurger2016 Sun 24-Jan-16 07:00:44

Inspired by another thread, is anybody up for sharing their experiences of very premature birth (say <28 weeks) / very low birthweight delivery, compared to full term birth?

I only have one DC so far, born extremely prematurely (1 pound 2 oz). Lots of people ask me if labour was easier than a 'normal' delivery, but of course I've got nothing to compare it to.

My labour was overall a positive experience. I used some Natal
hypnotherapy techniques, and had gas and air. Was in labour for about 19 hours. In a terrible birthing position (every minute we could keep her inside was a bonus, so they had me on my back with hips elevated) Definitely the most pain I've ever been in, but I can accept that pushing a little one could ( must?!) be less awful than a big one...?

A midwife told me that contractions for very prem labours are worse ( as less weight to push baby down). Not sure how she's so sure...?

Anybody had one of each?

WannaBurger2016 Sun 24-Jan-16 15:36:24

Hopeful bump...

duckwalk Sun 24-Jan-16 15:42:42

I've only had one labour and it was a premature birth also. Dd was born at 31 weeks, 2lbs 15oz. Sorry I can't be of more help with comparisons but hopefully someone else will be along.
Ps, yes it was painful, very painful!

Crazyqueenofthecatladies Tue 26-Jan-16 20:55:44

My first dc was a 9lb 6oz whopper but his little sister was a teeny tiny 2lb 27 weeker so I do have the experience but the other way round iyswim. Also both mine ended up in c-sections, however both labours were fairly natural with minimal pain relief. With my ds, I was in labour for 20 hours before the section, three of which were pushing. When he was born we realised he was huge and also his head had been stuck sideways in my pelvis in something called deep transverse arrest so frankly he wasnt going to shift. I had the advantage of labouring in a birth pool which really, really bliddy helped with the pain, and went through six bottles of gas and air, plus the Juju Sundin birth skills book really helped me deal with the pain - i didn't need gas and air til 7cms or so I think. Anyway, it all went tits up anyway, no one realised he was stuck beccause i was 'coping beautifully' and I had a 1300ml pph so ended up in high dependency, probably because I spent so long trying to push out a jammed baby. Painwise his birth was much worse, because he was malpositioned so the contractions were pretty much every two minutes from the get go, and the feeling of your pelvis bones being ground and squeezed apart by a stuck baby's skull was awful.
With DD in hindsight I realised I lost my plug the night before, and spent that night with what I thought were my first ever Braxton Hicks (never had them with DS). Actually they were what labour pains feel like in a second pregnancy. I called the hospital that morning and when paracetamol and resting hadn't stopped them, gathered up ds and his birthday balloons and assorted toys (no hospital bag, nighty or spare pants for me though), we were about to be discharged with a suspected uti when they did a speculum exam and could see my waters bulging and the top of her head complete with dark hair! The little bugger somehow then managed to extricate herself and run up my tummy to turn breech so she was a section too. Painwise though, it wasn't her size, it was the fact my body had done it all before that made the difference. It was so quick and easy. Too damn quick. There are a lot of differences between term and prem. You get to move around and be upright with a term baby in a way you can't when wired up with a prem. But then you get so much support and handholding with a prem where you are much more likely to be left to it with a term baby. I felt much more nurtured when labouring with her, even though my hubby was largely out in the corridor with our son. But then with a term baby there's no fear and surge of adrenaline and you are allowed to cheer on contractions instead of wishing and hoping they would stop and go away and leave your baby be. I wish you both such good luck, and seriously second babies are so much less painful than fist ones. x x

BinaryFinary Tue 26-Jan-16 21:31:17

My ginormous >10 pounder fell out of me, I think gravity really helped

No, I don't know why I'm on a tiny baby thread either grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now