Talk

Advanced search

How quickly can you go home after an elcs?

(23 Posts)
kiki22 Sat 23-Jan-16 20:55:20

Just that really. DS was a terrible traumatic labour so this time I will be asking for an elcs I'm quite anxious about being in hospital again as it was a nightmare start to finish. With DS he was fine but I was stitched inside out back to front bruised everywhere dehydrated and lost lots of blood I was a total mess but still got left to shower alone 7 hours after the birth and walk around to get nappys etc I just wanted to go home to be taken care of so I pretty much demanded to leave, they were not keen but let me since DS was fine and there was nothing they could actually do for me.

DS was born in theatre with a spinal (almost had a section ended up with forceps) though I pushed I felt nothing then spent 45 mins being stitched up so I've no worry about that part of it, its just going by last time and the experiences of other ppl in our hospital I know I will most likely want to go home asap again. Obviously if the baby needs to stay I would and if I need more treatment I would but for rest and recovery home is best for me.

Sorry a bit all over the place.... So when will they let me leave all going as it should.?

AuditAngel Sat 23-Jan-16 21:17:59

With DD1 (DC2) ELCS home after 48 hours, DD2 (DC3) EMCS, just under 48 hours.

LumpySpaceCow Sun 24-Jan-16 07:26:20

My hospital say 24 hours as long as no issues and they encourage it apparently. Last time I was in for 48 hours, but looking back I could have gone a day earlier, I just never asked! If I have another this time (baby breech but hoping he will turn!), I would like to go.home the next day!

Fourormore Sun 24-Jan-16 07:33:34

I think it depends how it goes. I've had some friends go home after 24 hours but others be in for five days for various reasons.

ThursdayLastWeek Sun 24-Jan-16 07:37:23

I'm having an elcs in a few weeks and wondering the same OP.

I had a emcs last time, with about 8 million complications to my recovery which meant I was in for over a week. Now I'm trying to pack my hospital bag this time, reminding myself that it would spectacularly unlucky for that to gap one again!

So far I've limited myself to 5 pairs of pants grin

Discogeek Sun 24-Jan-16 07:57:16

I had an ELCS with DS2 and was out of the hospital just over 24 hours after he was born (needed to wait for the ok from the doctor before they would discharge me).

I had no complications and my DS was fine. I was sent home with painkillers and they made sure I'd had a shower and was walking ok but were happy to let me go.

The midwife came out to see me the next morning and all was fine.

I loved my CS, after a traumatic experience with DS1 I was very worried but the ELCS really was the best decision for me and I have wonderful memories of his birth and those first few weeks. Wishing you lots of luck with yours flowers

Fluffy24 Sun 24-Jan-16 08:12:56

48 hours for me and most of the wait was the time it took to actually get discharged, paperwork, getting myself and DS signed off etc.

If I'm honest I probably wasn't quite ready at 24 hours (but had been up and had a shower myself quite happily, and a shuffle up and down the corridor), but did feel ready at about 36 hrs and just wanted to be home.

I have only positive things to say about ELCS, I couldn't have wished for better in terms of recovery time, etc. I did get easily tired for a couple of weeks afterwards but I also lost a bit more blood than they'd have liked (but not enough to need transfusion) which is perhaps why.

dontaskdonttell Sun 24-Jan-16 08:17:56

I was home just over 24 hours later but it was on the way home the pain kicked in!! I can't put into words that pain!! I was definitely ready though, I hated being in hospital and found they weren't much help, compared to my dh and mum. I'd had no sleep and wanted my own bed.

They just made sure I could wee properly and had managed a shower by myself. I'm going for a vbac this time, don't want to be in overnight at all if I can avoid it!

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 24-Jan-16 08:20:40

With my 3rd I was home within 24 hours.

SweepTheHalls Sun 24-Jan-16 08:22:46

Come and join us on the ELCS thread, a good place to get questions answered here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childbirth/2533485-elective-c-section-booked-tell-me-your-stories

SweepTheHalls Sun 24-Jan-16 08:24:00

Oh, and I was planning to escape hospital within 24hrs, but my body had different ideas and I stated on for 4 days, and absolutely needed too.

poocatcherchampion Sun 24-Jan-16 08:27:19

36 hours and that was perfect.

Ds was born at 5 am and I went home 5pm the next day. It was an emcs now I think about it and he was 5 weeks premature. (3mo now so I should remember really!!)

Other two emcss I stayed 2 nights and that was grim

TeamEponine Sun 24-Jan-16 08:27:30

I stayed in for two nights and that felt about right for me.

Lilipot15 Sun 24-Jan-16 08:29:50

Home next day for me. I knew I would sleep better at home, and it was so hot and noisy in the hospital! Pain relief they were giving me by then was no different to what they were discharging me on, and there was nothing to be gained for us from staying in.

ICanSeeForMiles Sun 24-Jan-16 08:30:20

My dc2 was born at 1pm, and apparently the cut off for getting out the next day is a 12 noon birth. I apparently had v low blood pressure (it's low naturally, but they kept asking if I felt faint) but I felt fine and was desperate to get home. Had to be checked over by the doctor but eventually was discharged within 24 hours of giving birth.

Jw35 Sun 24-Jan-16 08:30:59

I went after 24 hours but if I hadn't made a fuss I would have been in for another night. They don't rush the paperwork, I think they expect you to stay at least 2 nights! I felt fine after 24 hours, walking around etc. the painkillers these days are great!

LadyRoseMacClare Sun 24-Jan-16 09:25:57

After dc1 emcs at 37weeks I was sent home about 18 hours later... hmm

scaredmum2be Sun 24-Jan-16 11:49:52

My sil had an elcs at around 11am in a Saturday and was home Monday evening

kiki22 Sun 24-Jan-16 14:48:08

I was going crazy being in with DS for 23 hours it nice to know if I feel the same I can hopefully get out after around the same

fourlegstwolegs Sun 24-Jan-16 14:58:28

About 50 hours for me. I also felt I could have gone home the day before, but they didn't seem keen.

Booboostwo Sun 24-Jan-16 15:40:15

I stayed for three days but I had my own room so it was easier to sleep etc. I found with both ELCS I couldn't feel my legs for longer than expected so I got up 24 hours after the operation whereas I know a lot of people get up sooner. On the plus side I had morphine for the first 24 hours and very good pain management. I was up and about, carrying DS in a sling and applying for his passport when he was a week old.

Doje Sun 24-Jan-16 15:47:34

48 hours for DC2, ELCS.

Bit longer with DC1, EMCS, but it was because we had issues breastfeeding and he lost too much weight.

Mumberjack Tue 26-Jan-16 11:47:42

Just under 48 hours (7pm to 7pm) although could have been home earlier in the afternoon if had been checked over sooner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now