How to get to hospital during labour in South West London Clapham Brixton area??

(21 Posts)
LumpishAndIllogical Fri 22-Jan-16 21:41:13

So I was assuming I would get a taxi to hospital from the clapham/brixton area of London to Kings College when I am in labour (20 mins drive).

However, I spoke to a few taxi firms and they said no way 'call an ambulance'. shock

Now I have no idea how we will get to hospital when I am in labour! confused

Neither me nor DP have a car or know anyone close by with a car. (DP does have a licence)

With my first I lived near my sister and she drove me, she now lives far away so this is no longer an option.

Anyone else tackled this problem, or have any ideas?

I don't plan on calling an ambulance, unless I need too, as my first labour was quite straight forward and did last 12 hours.

Thanks in advance smile

VioletPansies Fri 22-Jan-16 21:45:59

What a pain - of course you can't call an ambulance. You could just neglect to mention the 'I'm in labour' bit when you call to book your taxi..

VioletPansies Fri 22-Jan-16 21:46:52

Unless you need to of course..

Akire Fri 22-Jan-16 21:51:14

Just call a taxi they are hardly going to leave you on the road because you say maternity are they. Im sure a fair few london women manage to get to hospital every hour of every day!

EssentialHummus Fri 22-Jan-16 21:52:16

Uber?

EssentialHummus Fri 22-Jan-16 21:53:02

Sorry, that might have sounded flip. Basically, order a cab online, don't disclose labour.

mashpot Fri 22-Jan-16 21:54:39

Browns at Tulse Hill should be able to help if you're close enough, try calling them?

badg3r Fri 22-Jan-16 21:58:37

Our midwife in our antenatal classes hold us only to call an ambulance if we could see part of the baby or were pushing!
We are near you, used a taxi to get to and from tommies last year. Will pm you number in a bit.

Penfold007 Fri 22-Jan-16 22:00:43

The LAS ask people not to call ambulances for straight forward labours. Just call a taxi but don't mention labour.

badg3r Fri 22-Jan-16 22:01:21

You can also ask the maternity ward. They will have a list of taxi firms that will take women in labour.

LumpishAndIllogical Fri 22-Jan-16 22:05:21

Thanks so much everyone! Feel a bit less worried now

I guess I was unlucky with the taxi firms I spoke too

And yes I guess I could not 'mention' it to them smile

Redspottygranola Fri 22-Jan-16 22:07:20

I was in your shoes 6 years ago - living in Clapham without a car and having DS1 at st George's in tooting. We just called our usual taxi firm and had to make a few trips - we went there and back after my waters broke early in the morning but before labour was established and then at 10pm when I was in full on contraction mode. The cab driver looked slightly nervous but had a nice chat with DH while trying his best to ignore the noises from the back seat! I think DH did tell the taxi firm I was in labour and we didn't have a problem.

badg3r Fri 22-Jan-16 22:12:38

You should have the number, we went from Vauxhall so not sure exactly what area they cover but worth a shot.

PositivePete Fri 22-Jan-16 22:17:48

Just call a taxi. I lived in Clapham, DS born St Thomas's, they recommend you take a taxi as parking is a small mortgage!!!!!

LumpishAndIllogical Fri 22-Jan-16 22:26:30

Badg3r thanks!

Thanks everyone, I will call a taxi and not worry. grin

PositivePete Fri 22-Jan-16 22:30:39

I told the man to zoom it thou, little did I know I was 8cm in ....

Still took another 12 hours to come Arghhh!!!!

PositivePete Fri 22-Jan-16 22:31:22

The baby ..... Not the taxi!!!

TreeSparrow Sat 23-Jan-16 16:35:47

We got a taxi to hospital. Our local cab company take labouring women to hospital all the time so they were cool about it. You'll find a company that will take you, just keep looking. You could ask the hospital which firms they use.

SmallGreenBouncyBall Sat 23-Jan-16 16:43:18

call a taxi.
don't mention that you are in labour (not their business!)
the big firm with the initials al seem to be reliable.

constantlystartingadiet Sun 24-Jan-16 19:25:18

We got a taxi. My husband rang a few firms to see if they would take me, most would. I did take a carton to be sick in and a pampers care mat to sit on in case my waters went. Also had loads of change on me in case we had to do a few journey's.

Anomite Sun 24-Jan-16 19:29:13

I got the number 68... Don't know what I was thinking looking back...
You should just call a taxi and not worry about it. I wouldn't even bother to mention your in labour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now