Talk

Advanced search

Uterus not going down after childbirth

(8 Posts)
Skates1985 Fri 15-Jan-16 23:07:36

Hi. I'm totally new to this so hopefully I'm doing it right smile
I had my baby girl 2 weeks ago by forceps delivery and episiotomy. Everything down there seems to recovering well.
My midwife is happy with the healing of my stitches.
However, she won't discharge me as she says that uterus hasn't gone down and should have by now. She says its still quite high up and is still above my belly button.
I'm not entirely sure what this means. She's coming back on Monday to check again. I meant to ask her questions but didn't really think about it until she left and now im a bit worried about what this means.
Has anybody any experience of this and what happens if it doesn't go back to normal?

Many thanks in advance for any information.

Newlywed56 Fri 15-Jan-16 23:14:09

Do you have any pain when she is pushing on it to check? Mine didn't go down until I got a lot of antibiotics for a womb infection (swabs and scans for residual tissue) were clear it was just the pain that was the indicator

Skates1985 Fri 15-Jan-16 23:36:20

Thanks for that. :-)
It's not exactly painful just uncomfortable when she pushes on it. She did ask me if I'd had any strange smelling discharge which as far as I know I havent. Just the usual blood loss.

Haggisfish Fri 15-Jan-16 23:47:48

I had what they kept referring to as a bulky uterus that wouldn't go down. I actually turned out to have a blood clot in it, about 2x3cm, so not massive. I only resolved it by insisting on some drugs that induced a period at about 3 months and that got rid of it. I took antibiotics as well, in cSe it was an infection.

Haggisfish Fri 15-Jan-16 23:48:35

I'd see if they will refer you for a scan, just to chevk.

FellOutOfBedTwice Fri 15-Jan-16 23:51:06

One of my NCT friends had this and it was retained placenta that had been missed. They got it out and gave her antibiotics and she recovered quickly.

mumofason Sat 16-Jan-16 11:32:09

For reference for you my DS is also 2 weeks old and my uterus is about 2 inches above my bikini line, I've been told this is good.

It could be infection or hormonal.

Skates1985 Mon 18-Jan-16 18:47:35

Thanks for the responses.
Midwife came today and it's gone down a lot more now so she's happy to discharge me.
She's given me some tummy tightening exercises to do to help get it down more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now