Talk

Advanced search

Just had sweep.... 1.5cm dilated now what?

(16 Posts)
MYA2016 Wed 13-Jan-16 12:54:34

It's my due date today and I've just been for a sweep. The consultant told me I'm 1.5cm dilated (was in a lot of pain overnight) my cervix is 1cm long and very soft and thin and he could feel baby's head. He said my cervix is posterior.
He said these are good signs but then booked me for induction for 12 days time so now I'm thinking he can't be confident.
What are your thoughts?
Thank you smile

MaisieDotes Wed 13-Jan-16 12:57:45

Is this your first baby? If you've started to dilate chances are your contractions will kick in properly at some point over the next few days and you'll be in labour.

I can only guess your Consultant booked the induction "just in case".

If I was you I'd be walking up and down the stairs a lot right now grin

Good luck!

swashbucklecheer Wed 13-Jan-16 12:59:57

It could still be a few days off yet. Or in the next few hours! Relax while you can. Good luck

stairbears Wed 13-Jan-16 13:01:02

Induction at 40 + 12 is standard policy for everyone due to a 1 in 500 risk of stillbirth after that time. You can accept or decline that offer.

Otherwise, your baby will come when he or she is ready. Sweeps might reduce length of pregnancy by 2 days, though over research finds no benefit.

You won't be overdue until after 42 weeks, as 'term' is 37-42 weeks. I found this helped from my hypnobirthing teacher:

www.hypnobirthing-online.com/whatif.html#dates

MYA2016 Wed 13-Jan-16 13:11:55

Okay, thank you. Yes it's my first baby so I question absolutely everything haha.
I barely slept a wink last night the pains were constant, they've eased off today but now am stressing that none if this means anything as 1.5cm isn't really a lot is it? !

MaisieDotes Wed 13-Jan-16 13:19:25

The reason I asked if it was your first baby is just that the cervix dilating is a bigger sign on your first than on subsequent labours.

1.5cm is a start- some people take loads of really strong contractions to start dilating at all.

It's normal for pains to stop and start too. You'll get there! smile

swashbucklecheer Wed 13-Jan-16 13:19:58

It can niggle away for a few days. With ds2 i was having tightening for 3days before labour kicked in for real. Was sent home at 4cm on that 1st day.

lucymootoo Wed 13-Jan-16 13:24:10

My cervix was barely open ( the MW said she would "attempt" a sweep) and I went into labour 12hr later. I was 10 days overdue though so I suppose baby was going to make an appearance at some point soon ..

lilac3033 Wed 13-Jan-16 14:45:23

I was pretty much in the same boat 8 months ago. I went into labour a couple hours after the sweep.

Alrighty Thu 14-Jan-16 13:10:24

Same here,1 cm dilated but probably due to having had children before.had a bloody show after the sweep but nothing since,has been almost 48h so I assume it didn't work confused

themumfairy Thu 14-Jan-16 15:56:18

I had a sweep Monday and midwife said I was 1cm dilated. I'd been having mild contractions since Friday night so I got on birthing ball and waited. And waited. 2nd sweep yday and she said I'm still 1cm verging on 2. Had my own midwife appointment today and she said I could of been 1cm since having ds2 shock
I'm still getting period pains now but I'm not holding out much hope in being further dilated. Plug is coming away in pieces but no sign of stronger contractions or waters going.

Shootingstar2289 Fri 15-Jan-16 20:26:32

They usually do book an induction date towards the end, at the end or when overdue in pregnancy. So if you don't start on your own, you have a date for induction. The dates need to be booked as it's dangerous to go too far overdue plus hospitals need to keep on track of how many inductions so they aren't overcrowded.

It sounds like things are nearly there for you though. Nothing ever happened down there for me. Didn't dilate and my cervic was high etc. Had a c-section after a failed induction with my first and a c-section with my second as I never went into labour again.

Good luck. Try walking, bouncing, scrubbing the floors to bring things on wink or maybe sex? Good luck.

MYA2016 Sat 16-Jan-16 02:33:36

Sorry for the delay, and thanks for all the replies and advice .
Within 3 hrs of my OP I was in full blown labour contracting every 2 mins and had my beautiful baby boy in the early hrs of the next morning via emergency c-sec as unfortunately his heart rate plummet at the very end.
we're still in hospital but both doing fine smile x

lucymootoo Sat 16-Jan-16 02:40:19

Lovely update smile congrats thanks

icklekid Sat 16-Jan-16 02:43:24

Congratulations on your baby boy flowers

MaisieDotes Sat 16-Jan-16 10:42:40

Congrats OP! smile smile
flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now