Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Induction for VBAC by breaking waters only - no drip/pessary

(15 Posts)
SpanielFace Tue 12-Jan-16 17:45:54

Has anyone had this? Was it successful?
Thank you!

Daysleeper1985 Tue 12-Jan-16 18:43:24

Can I ask why you need an induction?

SpanielFace Tue 12-Jan-16 20:14:24

Bevause I've been told that I am at increased risk of placental problems in late pregnancy due to low PAPP-A hormone, so am not willing to go heavily overdue. We lost a baby at 20 weeks last year for the same reason, and am very anxious about risking anything happening to this one. Growth scans suggest everything is ok at present but am still anxious. An induction or caesarian has been booked for 41+1, to be decided on the day. I'm currently 40+1 so may not need it, I'm just considering my options. My cervix is still high, firm and only 1cm dilated (although I am aware a lot can change in a week!). I'd prefer a VBAC (my eldest son was a caesarian due to being footling breech, the baby we lost was delivered vaginally). But am happy to have a C section if they decide it's safer, or if breaking my waters is not an option. I'd just prefer to have a planned one, rather than bevause of failure to progress, IYSWIM?

Parsley1234 Tue 12-Jan-16 20:18:00

I had this and I completely forgot that my midwife advised me to have an epidural put in because it was painful. Slight understatement 0cm to delivery in less than 3 hours no pain relief gas and air was a joke and anyway was all a bit too quick ! Still I got what I wanted natural quick delivery in water and fealing like I did 10 rounds with Tyson the next day a mere inconvenience lol

Daysleeper1985 Tue 12-Jan-16 20:45:11

Sorry for your previous loss spanielface flowers

It's certainly a much more natural way to go, if you can avoid that drip (of pure evil) syntocinon all power to you. I'm sorry I'm not a vbac lady, but I certainly know how grim a full induction is if you can at all avoid it.

SpanielFace Tue 12-Jan-16 21:41:50

Parsley that's reassuring, although I'll take the epidural advice on board! shock My big fear is that they will rupture my membranes and nothing will happen for ages, and I'll end up in early labour for hours before a C/S for failure to progress. I know they don't like you to go more than 24 hours with ruptured membranes. I don't know how likely that is, though. I got to 5-6cm with DS1 before they discovered he was breech and I needed a C/S, and that happens over about 10 hours, so I don't think that's too bad for a first labour?

SpanielFace Tue 12-Jan-16 21:44:07

Thanks Daysleeper. They won't use syntocin or prostaglandins for a VBAC, as it increases the risk of the scar rupturing (it's a tiny risk, but it basically doubles it). So it will be rupturing of membranes and hoping for the best. Urgh. I wish I could just go into labour by myself! I've got a week.

BombadierFritz Tue 12-Jan-16 21:47:19

Will they do a sweep first if favourable by then?

SpanielFace Tue 12-Jan-16 21:49:05

Yes I'm booked for a sweep on Friday (40+4). They tried to do one yesterday but couldn't, as my cervix was too high and closed. I'm hoping it's changed by then.

BombadierFritz Tue 12-Jan-16 22:01:31

Hopefully that will work. I had a few and the one at 40+7 worked. They also tried to break my waters but werent able to despite several goes! Dd was born vbac 'in the caul'

Daysleeper1985 Tue 12-Jan-16 22:36:31

Ah, I never knew that spanielface, best of luck for your next sweep x

Hopefully that and membrane breaking will give your baby a few hints. I believe you can go up to 72 hours, but 24 is a standard guide - push them, they can't pin you down you do have a choice, I'd certainly be comfortable waiting 48 hours or so without feeling irresponsible.

5madthings Tue 12-Jan-16 22:46:21

Not a vbac but I have been induced for all of mine via breaking of waters as am allergic to the pessary. It worked fine, apart from dd where I needed the drip but that was her position.

Some hospital will give you drip with vbac, others won't it seems to vary

And yes they will want you in labour within 24hrs ideally.

You could speak with them and come up with a plan about how long you are prepared to wait after waters broken for labour before going to c section.

elliejjtiny Wed 13-Jan-16 11:39:18

Sorry about your 2nd baby.

I had the drip with my 5th baby who was also an attempted vbac but I wasn't allowed to have the pessary. Waters had already gone though (the reason for induction in the first place) so they couldn't use that as an induction method.

MrsAmaretto Wed 13-Jan-16 18:35:51

My cervix was high and I hadn't dilated so at 41+ 9 for my vbac I had a type of pessary, breaking of waters & then drip over 3 days. DD then got distressed and I had an emergency section.

With hindsight I think my cervix was telling me to take the section!!

tiggersreturn Wed 13-Jan-16 19:39:10

I refused this on the grounds that my 1st vbac started spontaneously with waters going and my induction which ended in emcs the waters went of own accord pretty early. I felt if my body was ready to do it, it would and if it wasn't this would hust result in stress, pain and dashed hopes. I had a sweep at 38+1 (elcs booked for 38+6) and ds4 arrived on 38+2 less than 24 hrs later so i thankfully didn't break open the castor oil bought straight after the sweep!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: