water birth plans

(22 Posts)
Chelsey24 Sun 10-Jan-16 19:56:58

Hi,

I am hoping to have a water birth, due on 18th Feb. This is my first baby.

Has anyone else had a water birth and a regular birth that could tell me how they found both experiences and which they preferred?

Also, at what point do you discuss birth plans etc with your midwife? I'm 34 weeks and haven't discussed with anyone yet or been asked about it.

Thanks X

SweepTheHalls Sun 10-Jan-16 20:00:58

I've had a 'regular' birth, a water birth and an ELCS. My favorite by far was the water birth, but you have to be able to be flexible. You can plan for whatever birth you would like, but your baby hasn't read the plan and you may not get the birth you planed for! It is best IMO not to get too focused on any particular type of birth plan and to be ready to go with the flow smile

Lj8893 Sun 10-Jan-16 20:01:11

Normally around now you may get the opportunity to discuss your birth plan with a midwife, although you may need to bring it up first. There may be a section in your notes to write it in, ready for your midwife on labour ward to read.

thehomesecretary Sun 10-Jan-16 21:11:49

I have had one birth on dry land and a water birth. Much preferred the water birth, found it a lot easier to cope with the pain, had no tearing and a quick, easy recovery. Am about to give birth to my third and hoping to repeat the water birth experience. I realise I need to be open minded though, as babies don't always follow the plan. (I had hoped for a water birth with my first but ended up having to be induced and wasn't allowed to labour in the water). Fingers crossed we both get the birth experience we would like!

Junosmum Sun 10-Jan-16 21:16:01

I gave birth a week ago and started off in the pool, but due to failure to progress ended up in the labour ward. Have to say, as nice as the water was I preferred the labour ward- it was more directive, which I needed.

PeppasNanna Sun 10-Jan-16 21:17:18

I've had 2 water births. Laboured in the pool with my ladt baby but needed to get st the last minute as baby opened her bowels whilst i was pushing.
Definitely try a water birth. I found it much calmer, less painful & private process but keep an open mind.

Good luck.

Chelsey24 Sun 10-Jan-16 21:48:49

Thanks everyone, fingers crossed things will go to plan but like you say, I shouldn't get too hung up on it in case things change.

Runningupthathill82 Sun 10-Jan-16 22:23:29

My tip would be to not think of a water birth as a totally separate thing from a "regular" birth. You can get in and out as it suits you, or start off in the water and go elsewhere to actually give birth.

Water is just one tool in your "pain relief" box. It might help for a while, it might not. I found the pool useful for the first 12-18 hours or so, but after that the pain was too intense for warm water to make the slightest difference. Also, DS was distressed and there was meconium in my waters, so I had to get out anyway.

By the end I'd had all sorts of drugs, an epidural, episiotomy, ventouse and forceps - certainly not the plan - but the water was good for a long time!

So technically I may not have had a "water birth", as he was born on dry land, but I was in the water far longer than most of my friends who did have water births, IYSWIM.

Go into it with an open mind, and if the water helps then that's fantastic. If it doesn't then there's so many other options open to you, which won't be discounted just because you started off in the pool.

Chelsey24 Mon 11-Jan-16 03:25:21

Thank you, that's a great way to think of it, as a help rather than the only way.

Feeling better about the possibility of not being able to have one now smile

KatReading Tue 12-Jan-16 07:41:51

Very interesting to read. I want a water birth but have discovered I've got strep B and read that some hospitals then won't allow you to have a water birth with this infection. I need to check with my hospital but has any one had any experience of this?

Runningupthathill82 Tue 12-Jan-16 08:05:34

Yep Kat, me! I tested positive for Strep B - and had to have the antibiotics during labour - but could still use the pool without any probs at all.

KatReading Tue 12-Jan-16 08:51:16

Ah thanks for that- very helpful! And did they keep baby in for 24 hours after to monitor?

Runningupthathill82 Tue 12-Jan-16 08:53:21

Yes and no - we were kept in anyway due to a myriad issues (heavy blood loss with me, drowsiness and refusal to feed with DS) so I don't know if we'd still have been kept in had we otherwise been fine.

KatReading Tue 12-Jan-16 08:56:29

Thanks again - I guess it depends then on how you and baby both are. Hope all is good now!

Lj8893 Tue 12-Jan-16 10:34:25

Guess it depends on hospital policy Kat. Where I work you wouldn't be allowed in the pool whilst hooked up for an IV line for the antibiotics.

Dixiechick17 Tue 12-Jan-16 12:48:09

I've only had the one birth, but I was in the water from when I got onto the birthing unit and for an hour of pushing. I got out as I was really hot and bothered and wasn't enjoying the water. Most people that I speak to absolutely love it. So I finished off my labour on all fours on a big mat on the floor which for me was much better.

glitterbomb80 Tue 12-Jan-16 12:55:23

I'm planning a water birth. I've always used warm water for pain relief and I feel very comfortable in the water.

Have you checked the facilities at the place you're planning to give birth? I chose my birthing centre based on their six birth pools - they even have one on the hospital maternity ward upstairs for people who need to give birth on the ward!

GiraffesAndButterflies Tue 12-Jan-16 13:17:54

Timeline wise for comparison, I just had my birth plan conversation with the mw at my 36wk checkup (though like many things it probably varies depending where you are).

Also FYI, the midwife told me that when DH rings the hospital to say we're coming in, to mention the birth pool then so they can start filling one, apparently it takes a while. Again that's probably different for different places but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Chelsey24 Tue 12-Jan-16 22:12:01

Thank you for telling me that, I'll be sure to mention this when going in then to try and secure one as early as poss.

I know you shouldn't have a birth plan as such incase things don't go to plan but it's hard not to have preferences isn't it. I really really want the water sad

I will ring the hospital too and find out about their facilities too - thanks everyone! X

Lovelilies2 Tue 12-Jan-16 22:30:07

I planned water birth with DD was in the water until last hour when I got tired and got out for a 'rest' but labour ramped up and she was born on dry land!
Water birth with DS only just got in in time, he was born within about ten minutes (59 min labour!)

Planning to have home birth with dc3 hopefully have a birthing pool or even bath tub. One thing I liked was the 'weightlessness ' of being in water, and also not having anyone staring right up my bits! Felt more in control myself.
Good luck!

GiraffesAndButterflies Wed 13-Jan-16 20:27:55

You can totally have a birth plan, you just have to think of it as Plan A and maybe have an idea of what Plan B might look like too. smile

goodnightdarthvader1 Fri 15-Jan-16 20:42:32

I called my birth plan "Birth Preferences", and had a lot of "if possible"s thrown in there! It's important to be flexible, but also to let the midwives know what sort of birth you're hoping for. There's no harm aiming for the birth you want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now