Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are there any helpful episodes of OBEM?

(11 Posts)
babybat Sat 09-Jan-16 19:24:01

I'm 35+5, thinking about my birth plan and the practicalities of giving birth. I know OBEM tends to focus on the more dramatic births and the ones that make good TV, but are there any episodes that show a fairly normal, straightforward labour that could be helpful to watch at this stage? Perhaps that might also be helpful to watch with DH to discuss how we might handle different situations during labour?

Rpj16 Sat 09-Jan-16 21:35:13

Theres a lovely one with a girl having a calm waterbirth, she doesnt cry or scream, or have anything other than gas and air. She has a red bikini thing on. I want a water birth like that!!

Babymouse Sat 09-Jan-16 21:41:41

Wasn't that birth on the BBC Midwife series they had a few years back?

If not - I recommend finding that on YouTube it is very good and less drama filled.

katienana Sat 09-Jan-16 21:45:05

The couple from Leeds who are fashion designers she has a lovely water birth. In fact I was actually shown a bit of it at an NHS antenatal group.
I personally think it's all useful it can give you an idea of what might happen and what you would prefer. I wish they would show more detail and the third stage though.

ThatsNotEvenAWord Sat 09-Jan-16 21:47:41

Came on to say the bikini water birth as well smile

honeysucklejasmine Sat 09-Jan-16 21:51:38

I don't think any of them are unhelpful. It was a real woman's experience and its not fair to imply it wasn't good enough, which essentially is what people mean. If they needed to scream and shout to get through it, so what? smile

I am 33 w and have watched a couple of seasons since All 4 was updated to use Chromecast. Tbh I mostly think "well done them" after each one. Maybe some aren't what I would want, but at least I know its possible if I do end up with a more "dramatic" birth. And therefore won't end up with awful feelings of failure if it isn't a "perfect" birth.

But yes, I do wish they focussed more on the third stage too.

unimaginativename13 Sat 09-Jan-16 22:26:36

Birth plan hmm

Watch them all, don't pick out the nice ones! They are all real labours after all.

I don't agree they are dramatic, I find the labour stories in MN or me or my friend far more traumatic than OBEM.

The bikini one was nice, she actually makes them and sells them online. She make me want a water birth, I was probably about 30 weeks, by 32 weeks I was high risk and told no water birth.

Best plan is don't

babybat Sat 09-Jan-16 23:01:23

Thanks - I'm a bit sceptical about the birth plan too, but I figure it's worth getting my thoughts down on paper, even if it's just 'be adapable'! It's not that I'm critical of anyone's birth experience, just that I realise they do cherry-pick for what makes good TV. Will have a look for red bikini woman though!

Topsy34 Sat 09-Jan-16 23:31:21

A birth plan shouldn't be, would like to get changed immediatley and then have gas and air, following this...blah blah blah.

A birth plan should be bullet pointed things that are important to you, mine was this kind of thing
- keep voices low
- no internals
- monitoring welcome, but please keep it subtle
- we do not consent to the cord being cut until fully clear of blood
- immediate skin to skin
- we may keep the placenta, decision at the time
- we are using a cord tie, not a clamp (clamp ok if an emergency)
- breast feeding to be established as soon as possible

Can't think of the rest but you get the drift.....

Topsy34 Sat 09-Jan-16 23:32:03

Have a google of home birth diaries, its quite an old series but some really lovely beautiful births

Rpj16 Sun 10-Jan-16 10:06:00

katienana That's the waterbirth I meant - with the fashion designers! At first, I was thinking, why is she so dressed up for labour?? But then it was so lovely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now