To Epidural or not to Epidural - that is the question?!(16 Posts)
Hi, I could be pre empting myself here as I don't have an induction yet but here goes...
I am 37+4 with second DS. First DS was induced at 41+4 and arrived 2 days later after pessery which did bigger all then drip which did work. I was offered epidural with the drip as was told it could bring on really strong contractions which it probably did as DS was born not long after... Anyway I took the epidural then.
However... I did struggle to push and ended up with epiostomy and ventouse.
Not one of 5 babies born to mum had sister has been less than 10!days late and most induced. I would like to have a more natural birth this time but I see myself getting induced again.
My question is what would you do? Would you try to labour with the drip and no epidural or opt for epidural with drip again?
Someone other day told me you can get adjustable/walking epidural a which are not as strong so can wear off a bit to push?? With mine I could not feel anything whole time which obv made the whole pushing part a bit hard!
There was no reason it was just hospital policy for them to try and start things off at either 11/12 days overdue
Bad luck to be induced so close to when the baby would have been born anyway.
I had a "spinal", a bit like an epidural "light"
I could still push
Could you do this?
To be honest I don't think he was coming anytime soon! Ahh ok - I will ask my midwife about this and other options
Spinal is actually stronger than an epidural and usually used for c sections - most hospitals have moved over to moblie epidural now anyway . Your midwife should know if that is true for your trust .
Even if you are induced you may not need the drip this time .
If your family naturally have longer pregnancies, and inducing on that day is hospital policy rather than anything to do with you/your baby, then I'd hold off on induction. Full term is 37-42 weeks after all.
yes, sorry, forgot to say my spinal was 15 years ago, so medicine may have moved on
My hospital doesn't induce until 40+14. Would you be willing to wait until then before induction?
If I had to get the drip I would most likely get an epidural tbh. I've never had either though but had heard of other people who have and understand the drip can make contractions much stronger more quickly so your body doesn't have time to build up pain killing hormones.
If you needed the drip you could always see how you coped if you're not keen on an epi. If you weren't coping you could opt for one. My hospital didn't offer a mobile one.
Really hope you don't need induced again but if you do it may well be quicker this time too.
My DS1's delivery sounds exactly the same as your first. Pessaries, drip, epidural, episiotomy, ventouse. Took ages!
I was offered induction at 40+10 with DS2. I really didn't want to be induced and was willing him to just appear but went with it for a variety of reasons (including convenience 10 days late was putting all kinds of arrangements out of synch!).
I was taken in and examined, midwife felt my waters and sent me straight up to delivery saying they were bound to burst any minute. They broke my waters and sent me off for a wander. An hour later DS2 was here! No further intervention and it all went smoothly. It was so different to first time round and I finally understood this feeling of the need to push that others had talked about but I definitely didn't feel with the epidural.
I'm sure he would have arrived naturally that night if I'd just waited another day so would second waiting a bit longer to avoid full on induction if you can. But no way could I have done my first labor without epidural. The contractions caused by the drip were far worse - stronger and quicker with no build up - than those in my second labour with no pessary or drip.
I hope all goes well.
I was induced with the drip and didn't have an epidural (it wasn't mentioned as necessary). It was fine. It was a longish (12 hours after drip), back to back labour, but I coped and pushing was only 15 minutes.
Could you try without the epidural and then have one later if it is too painful?
Is there any reason why you have to make a decision right now?
Why not just see how you fare on the day, and take it if you need one! You can definitely ask them to make sure that the dosage isn't too high - they can always turn it up if it isn't enough! There are no prizes for martyrdom when giving birth - if you want the pain relief, then take it!
There are plenty of women, both with and without epidurals, who say they never really got the instinct of how to push, or struggled with it, so it might not be epidural specific.
I was same. 41+4. There's no way I'd have waited any longer. Too worried about things going wrong at the last stages. Just me though. I had a hyper reaction to the induction so it was v painful! Managed about 7 hrs and then had mobile epidural. And yes I could move around etc. He was OP so ended up with suction for which they did a spinal but I could definitely push - in fact doctor said she barely had to pull at all - though obviously had to be told when the contraction was there. This time being induced at 39 wks as DS was 10.5lbs and had shoulder dystocia etc. This chap also a biggie. Am also 40 though not sure that really makes much difference. Summary: ask for mobile epidural! Best of luck X
You could always try labouring with the drio and get the epidural if you fancy it later. How quick was labour last time? If it wasn't too long then give gas and air a try. I found the drip difficult with gas and air, but it was quick so manageable.
Thanks for all your responses
Do not need to make the decision now just interested in sharing and hearing other stories.
As a few others have said I think I am currently in the mind to try without an epidural and see if I need one later on. Last time I was being woken up every 3 hours for monitoring and felt very tired after 48 hours after this so the epidural did at least enable me to rest up. I have a niggling feeling that the epidural last time did contribute to why I needed the vontouse etc as I couldn't feel to push.
I had 12 hours on drip before being ready to push not sure if that is good or bad in terms in length.
I am in agreement with another poster about not wanting to wait to long to give birth - I don't feel the need to refuse induction when offered but obviously if I had a feeling I would be giving birth soon naturally I would probably refuse.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.