Talk

Advanced search

Backache after labour/ spinal.

(5 Posts)
Junosmum Wed 06-Jan-16 18:34:30

First baby is 4 days old. Forceps delivery so episiotomy and then retained placenta removed in theater with spinal block anesthetic.

Starting yesterday I have had a sort of pulsating lower backache, starting around where the spinal block was administered. It is worse when lying down. It comes and goes. It's less painful, more uncomfortable. If it's there when moving it can cause a sort of dull sciatic pain in my bum.

Is this normal post labour or could it be a complication of the spinal? I'm worried the spinal has caused damage. They only told me to watch out for a horrific headache as a bad side effect.

Terramirabilis Wed 06-Jan-16 18:54:48

I had serious back pain while walking for about ten days after my epidural although it was lower than the site of the epidural so I suspect it was more to do with the birth itself than the epidural. I went to the doctor and he got me to do some exercises to see whether it was actual damage such as something out of place or just bruising and swelling. It was the latter and after 10 days I gradually felt better although I continued to have occasional twinges in my tailbone for months afterwards. Go easy on yourself. But no harm in seeing someone to ascertain whether it needs treatment or not. I was given muscle relaxants to take at night.

Daysleeper1985 Thu 07-Jan-16 00:09:25

I had an epidural which was then topped up to a spinal, felt like I'd been punched in the back for about 1-2 months afterwards. Sciatica pains likely inflammation pressing on nerves but that should die down fairly quickly, if you have numbness or pins and needles however - then see a doctor. pulsing sensation is inflammatory, it will go away soon 😊 Try to move as normally as possible, relax your muscles as much as you can, otherwise you can unwittingly create a back pain problem that otherwise wouldn't exist.

(chronic back/bone/disk issues since I was 9 so I'm unfortunately experienced here)

Junosmum Thu 07-Jan-16 00:50:38

Thanks, good to know it's not just me.

Melmam Thu 07-Jan-16 08:09:01

Your birth sounds the same as mine my son is 7 weeks now. Hope your feeling ok I know how painful it can be. I had a backache and like a stinging sensation for a couple weeks where the epidural had been but it does pass make sure you get plenty of rest congratulations x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now