I just found out my mother was two weeks overdue with her first...

(15 Posts)
Rpj16 Thu 31-Dec-15 15:13:01

Does this kind of thing run in families?

KwickNC Thu 31-Dec-15 15:13:42

No

Chottie Thu 31-Dec-15 15:15:12

No, I don't think so.

Please don't worry about it, I don't think dating a baby was so accurate when you were born as it is nowadays.

Pooka Thu 31-Dec-15 15:15:58

I don't think entirely so. My mother was 2 weeks early with her first, 1 week early with second and 2 weeks early with third.

I had first on due date, second a week late and third 3 days early.

Much depends on the individual mother as well as the baby - size etc. Which would have a fair amount to do with maternal make up as well as the father's.

Most first babies are late I believe.

Micah Thu 31-Dec-15 15:20:05

My mum was more than two week overdue with hers and convinced me that all babies in our family are very overdue (and massive, apparently).

I bloody listened to her, booked my mat leave to start on my due date, get the car seat and pram etc delivered after that while i was at home before the birth.

Dc1 arrived two weeks early. I was totally unprepared bar a pack if baby vests.

So no, dont plan on it smile

frikadela01 Thu 31-Dec-15 15:22:14

My midwife said to have a "due month" instead of a due date because everyone gets so stressed when they go over their date and forget that it's entirely normal to go over.

ApocalypseNowt Thu 31-Dec-15 15:22:51

I got told that on the whole it's the only thing that can give a half decent indication of when you may go into labour. HOwever i guess it would only work if everyone's dates were accurate in the first place.

Can't remember who told me though so could be a load of horseshit grin

Rpj16 Thu 31-Dec-15 15:29:08

Yeah, you'd think that a whole load of other factors would go into it as well as genes (I know, baby will come when ready!)

Ooh well I technically have two weeks left so we shall wait and see smile

KatyN Thu 31-Dec-15 16:18:30

Nah.. The only thing I 'inherited' from my mother and mil was to gain about 4 stone in each pregnancy. my mum was early both times, I've been overdue both times.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Thu 31-Dec-15 16:24:22

A normal pregnancy is 37 to 42 weeks. Anything within that is normal. Really is no point in seeing 40+ weeks as overdue. It's demoralizing and inaccurate.

HelenaJustina Thu 31-Dec-15 16:30:10

Yes, in our family. Mum was late with all hers, I was late with all (4) of mine and DSis has just been late with her first.

However the plural of anecdote is not data...

Junosmum Thu 31-Dec-15 16:32:05

I think so- all women on my mothers side have gone 1-2 weeks over due and had long labours and big babies. It's looking like I'll be the same (though really I'm hoping I'll break the mould!)

KwickNC Thu 31-Dec-15 16:35:36

It's actually down to the dads side according to the BMJ

SnozzberryMincePie Thu 31-Dec-15 16:35:44

My mum was late with all of hers; both of mine have been born before their due dates.

Remember that dating wasn't always so accurate - when my mum had me there were no dating scans and it was just done by the date of your last period.

SmallBearMumma Thu 31-Dec-15 17:10:49

My mum was 10 days late with my oldest bro, second bro was early and I was on time... I am 39 +5 today with my first dc so hoping that I don't follow the same pattern! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now