Talk

Advanced search

Oblique lying baby 35 weeks - what does this mean?

(8 Posts)
oneconfusedchick Wed 23-Dec-15 10:41:19

Hi,
I had a growth scan bang on 35 weeks - all ok but she said the baby is lying oblique. this basically means the babies head is down but pointing towards by hips (sticking in my bladder actually) rather than towards my pelvis. If you imagine pelvis/engaged as 6pm on a clock my baby is lying at 7-8pm on the clock!

Anyway I am struggling to find much info on this as to what it actually means? She did say they would just recheck later but didn't say anything about another scan as baby growth is fine.

Has anyone else had this and had a C-section or had a normal birth?

I am not bothered either way just whatever is best for baby. This is my second baby/pregnancy btw.

TheGreenNinja Wed 23-Dec-15 10:44:33

My friends baby was transverse (lying across) at 36 weeks and she had to stay in hospital for a couple of weeks in case she went into labour, because the risk of cord prolapse is high. I'm assuming the risk would also be increased with an oblique lie, but I guess nothing will happen until they recheck the position in a week or two?

TheGreenNinja Wed 23-Dec-15 10:46:18

Oh sorry, my friend had a section at 38 weeks and was out and home within a couple of days - she was scanned every day to check positioning and the baby stayed transverse. If he'd engaged, I think she'd have been able to come home.

oneconfusedchick Wed 23-Dec-15 11:06:55

Thanks - I have just phoned the midwife who is going to check what needs to be done as nothing was written in my notes even though the midwife definitely said he is oblique. They did think my first baby was breach but scanned and they had either got it wrong or he had moved by 39 weeks so I am sure this might just be the case here!

ClutterofStarlings Sat 26-Dec-15 09:14:03

I was scanned at 34 weeks and was an oblique breech, they simply rescanned at 36 weeks (after a fortnight of me furiously doing inversions and even resorting to moxibustion which I would normally scoff at!) and baby had turned.
Had it not turned, they said they would offer ECV (someone trying to turn the baby from the outside). They would then wait to see if it turned itself. If still breech I think they would push for section, but I suspect that's pretty hospital/consultant specific.
It may turn itself, there is still time!

oneconfusedchick Sat 26-Dec-15 22:08:26

Thanks - I have a midwife appointment at 36 + 2 next week so will see what she says - I am feeling more movement on other side of bump so maybe he has already moved?!

StopShoutingAtYourBrother Sat 26-Dec-15 22:19:17

I had this. Back to back oblique at 36 weeks with DC2. At 36+6 when I went spontaneously in labour I opted for a c section on basis that as DC1 had refused to turn when back to back (though not oblique) there was a good chance DC2 would be equally stubborn. Yup, at 2 cm dilated there was no change. Good luck with your birth whatever you decide. FWIW my c section was absolutely the right choice for me.

elliejjtiny Sat 26-Dec-15 22:42:50

My DS4 was like this at 35 weeks. But my waters had also broken which increased the chances of cord prolapse so I had a section 2 days later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now