Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ELCS- any advice?

(12 Posts)
vickyors Fri 18-Dec-15 17:10:40

I had a 'natural' delivery three years ago- was induced, three days, then ventouse with episiotomy that did my heal, infections etc. 8 months later I had revision surgery (best thing ever) but this pregnancy I knew from early on it would be a c section..

I was wondering if you had any hints and tips? What's the healing like? Was feeding still ok? What's it like in theatre? Do you have any suggestions of things I'll need?

Thanks in advance!

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Fri 18-Dec-15 17:23:27

Planned c-sec due to health issue.

Weirdly I enjoyed it once I knew I was numb and the surgery was going smoothly. It was my birth experience so I had to embrace it.

Feeding and bonding all great. Healed well, though nearly 4 years later I'm still ever so slightly numb across the scar. I didn't expect that.

Get huge granny knickers, pillow for between you and seatbelt for journey home. Get moving as soon as you feel able. Get on and off bed on hands and knees backwards.

Good luck x

TaliZorah Fri 18-Dec-15 17:28:45

I had an ELCS

In theatre is really fun. I walked down and was laughing with the anaesthetist. They put the spinal in and it felt a bit weird, and made my legs tingle but then it felt nice and someone swung my legs up onto the table. I insisted I could feel one leg but I couldn't very much.

I felt a weird pulling. Then I had DS. Didn't notice until 2 minutes after he'd been born.

Usually you get the baby bought to you, DS wasn't breathing so I can't give any advice about that or breastfeeding because he was in an incubator

Recovery was fine. Didn't hurt, was back to normal in a couple of days.

I'd recommend glycerin suppositories. Hospitals are stingy with them and the post CS poo hurts

BeepBeepMeep Fri 18-Dec-15 17:38:45

In surgery it's fairly relaxed and calm, you'll get given a spinal whilst sitting on the theatre table. The midwife will take you down, and your partner will be scrubbing up whilst you have your spinal. You'll then lie down on the table, whilst everyone prepares and scrubs up.

Whilst you numb up, they spray cold spray on you to check how the spinal is going. You'll have a cannula placed before hand, and a catheter situated once you've had your spinal. Then once that's taken effect, they'll generally start the op. Then the midwife will go get your partner.

Operation doesn't take that long, baby will be born then handed to the midwife who will show you your baby then go and sort them out, pop a nappy on them and do their checks (may do vit k injection). Then you will get to hold your baby, do some skin to skin etc whilst you're being sewn up.

Then your partner leaves whilst you go to recovery where you are 'recovered' with the nurses and a midwife. You'll have the opportunity to breastfeed or bottle feed your baby and have a good old cuddle. Then once you've been 'recovered' they'll move you to post natel ward.

I think an elective section can be quite a chilled and positive experience for you if you want to go that way.

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Fri 18-Dec-15 18:03:25

My Dh was with me the entire time walked into theatre with me and stayed in a single room (which I guess is recovery) before the ward with me. Each hospital is different.

trilbydoll Fri 18-Dec-15 18:07:04

It felt really weird walking to theatre, my emcs I was obviously wheeled on a bed. Walking in felt like I was a bit of a fraud!

DH stayed with me the whole time. Everyone was really chilled and having a laugh. It went way quicker than my emcs, the stitching up seemed to be done in about 3 minutes.

vickyors Fri 18-Dec-15 19:45:12

Thanks all, this is great. So many things you wouldn't think of..

TaliZorah Fri 18-Dec-15 19:48:35

Also take extra clothes for you and your baby. I expected to be in and out, as it happened we were in for a week!

vickyors Sun 20-Dec-15 09:23:15

Weird question.. What do you do with your bikini line??

TaliZorah Sun 20-Dec-15 09:24:27

You shave it but they will shave you if they need to. They did mine as my bump meant I'd shaved it wonky

wonkylegs Sun 20-Dec-15 10:39:09

I'm having an elective this time following a protracted labour ending in an emergency labour. I'm expecting it to be a bit like last time but I should be less exhausted as I won't have been through labour first. My husband got to stay with me throughout for my emergency one bar when he had to go and put on some scrubs (which was hilarious as afree a busy night they only had too small pink ones left and he looked ridiculous), it was very calm and recovery was good, I was in for a few days. I'm at a different hospital for this one but as my husband works at this one everybody seems to pop by to say hi everytime I'm in. I haven't worked out if this is annoying or nice yet.

elliejjtiny Sat 26-Dec-15 22:55:03

The waiting is the worst bit with an elective I think so make sure you take a good book/magazines/tablet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now