Talk

Advanced search

So how much blood is there?

(51 Posts)
Junosmum Thu 17-Dec-15 22:19:57

I've heard conflicting things about birth, from it looking like a scene from a horror movie to 'nothing more than when you leak on your period'. All from
women who had 'normal', uncomplicated/ none-hemorrhagic births.

I'm talking specifically about the birth part- I'm not fussed, just interested.

I'm waaaaay more bothered about the post birth bleeding, which I'm fully expecting to be horrific (I hate, hate, hate normal periods! so much so I've only had 3 in 5 years).

MrsPnut Thu 17-Dec-15 22:23:21

In my experience, you really don't notice it. I was far more concerned about pushing my babies out than anything else. I pooed with both births but I don't really remember and the midwives are so good at moving the debris very quickly post birth.

When you go into labour, all other ideas go out of your head. The baby and the process become all you can think about.
Good luck

originalusernamefail Thu 17-Dec-15 22:23:57

Tbh I didn't see a drop! According to maternity notes lost approx 600 mls but the midwives must have kept on top of it pretty well.

MistyMeena Thu 17-Dec-15 22:24:17

Hmm, quite a lot in both my cases, haemorrhaged the first time, but was unaware until afterwards! Second time not so much, but woke in the middle of the first night in a small pool of it. But was fine. Strangely the post-partum bit wasn't bad at all, not a lot of bleeding really and over in a couple of weeks.

katienana Thu 17-Dec-15 22:26:48

I lost 4 pints of blood after delivering the placenta. I never saw the blood just felt it come out.
The post birth bleeding lasted 4-6 weeks for me. At first every time I moved i would feel blood coming out and I had to change pads very often. After a few days it slowed down but for the first 2 weeks big clots would come out. Then it was more like a period. Having said that my period didn't come back for a year due to bF so that
was nice!
There is no way to predict and I think my experience is one of the worse ones, but I was fine in the end.

fuzzywuzzy Thu 17-Dec-15 22:26:57

The actual after birth you won't notice as midwives whisk everything away.

It after the birth when the lochia gets going that's messy.

Ughnotagain Thu 17-Dec-15 22:29:40

I had an episiotomy. DH watched them do it. He said to me afterwards that he was glad I didn't see it as there was a lot of blood. But I don't know quite how much!

There was quite a bit when I went to the loo straight afterwards (well, after I'd been stitched up). Enough to puddle in one of those cardboard bowl things. But some of that could have been from the stitching I suppose.

Like fuzzy says it's the lochia you want to watch out for. My goodness...

Ughnotagain Thu 17-Dec-15 22:30:57

Oh, I did wee myself during labour though. Several times blush

It's such a beautiful process grin

ayria Thu 17-Dec-15 22:31:30

All I can remember about the blood loss was they kept changing the mat thing underneath me during the last bit of my labour for some reason. It wasn't until I saw I lost 400ml on the discharge papers that I thought maybe that's why. My mum described it in quite a disturbing way though I didn't see anything. Never knew I lost any and I felt fine. I bled for just over 8 weeks afterwards.
Does blood loss come from injuries alone or other places? I know it can happen with placenta abruption and when it comes away too soon.

Sansfards Thu 17-Dec-15 22:38:36

I think they must be pretty good at keeping it out of sight. I lost a lot but saw none of it at the birth.
If your other half is queasy about blood it might be worse for him, you'll be too busy giving birth to notice (or be really British and obsess and apologise for all the blood the whole way through even though you can't see it because you're high on G&A)

TheLittleLion Thu 17-Dec-15 22:42:16

I haemmoraged giving birth but I didn't see a single drop of blood and no idea id lost so much blood until they told me.
I suppose the people who are with you while you're giving birth will see it but I doubt you will. smile

BlueSmarties76 Thu 17-Dec-15 22:42:29

I believe 300mls is considered normal? So try pouring that much water around the place!

You won't notice or care about the blood loss at the time though!

LeotardoDaVinci Thu 17-Dec-15 22:44:50

Don't remember seeing any with the first, but haemorrhaged a week later - a lot then, at home. With the second the haemorrhaging happened immediately after the birth and the doctor came in wearing white welly boots and a sou'ester. Well, okay, maybe the sou'ester is an exaggeration but it felt like there was a tsunami of blood. I also had similar happen after a miscarriage so maybe some people are just more free and easy with their blood.

SparklyPenguin Thu 17-Dec-15 22:52:49

I lost a lot during the birth- 1.6 litres apparently. Didn't see this as unsurprisingly I passed out. Post-partum blood loss wasn't particularly major, just like a period really, but for two weeks.

BIWI Thu 17-Dec-15 22:55:26

I had what was called 'clean' births - 150mls each time. Very little bleeding afterwards as well.

But no-one can tell you what's going to happen, as it's different for everyone!

Whatsinaname2011 Thu 17-Dec-15 22:59:13

I didn't see any but DH said th hospital bed looked like a murder scene when I got off it to walk back to the ward.

Didn't bother me at the time and I didn't loose an excessive amount.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Thu 17-Dec-15 23:09:21

I had a home birth. We just put sheets and towels on the living room floor, only one little drop of blood and one smear of meconium is to show for it. I gave birth standing up over the back of the sofa and the first thing I asked after baby was safely out was Did I poo myself? (No)
The very first pictures of DD show blood steaks all down my legs, so it looks quite graphic but it was actually a very good 'easy' birth.
Lochia went on much longer than I expected, probably only after about 5-6 weeks that I had no spotting or anything. Some quite big clots that worried me but apart from being gross I was just glad it wasn't a baby again! :-)
Good luck OP

Fuckitfay Thu 17-Dec-15 23:12:41

I don't remember much. There was kind of period amounts leaking on the bed where I was labouring. I gave birth in the pool the water looked a bit red
I can't imagine you'd notice it as the midwives put mats under you and clean you up. Hell I didn't notice when I pooed myself in two labours both times DH told me after

Llouh Thu 17-Dec-15 23:14:49

I bled less than 500mls so less than a small bottle of Coke. Not sure how much exactly as my notes just said less than 500ml. There wasn't much at all and the post birth bleeding was minimal too.

But now 6 weeks on I am dealing with a monster period from hell!!

VagueIdeas Thu 17-Dec-15 23:15:09

I had really quite minimal lochia both times (natural birth, then c section) so it really does vary person to person. It went on for weeks, but it wasn't heavy.

Jenijena Thu 17-Dec-15 23:21:39

You know when you cut your finger and it seems like a lot of blood even when you know it can't possibly be? Now look at a glass of 200ml (a small loss at birth) and imagine that across a table, and bright red...

I didn't find lochia much worse than my usual heavy periods, and I was dreading it. You'll use maternity pads quicker than you expect (I think I went through a pack a day for the first few days) but it is manageable.

momb Thu 17-Dec-15 23:29:56

Post birth bleeding isn't as painful as periods IMO. It just leaks out rather than period cramping.

The birth is odd because unless you have specific problems you really don't notice...you are so concerned with contractions and labour and bleeding you are largely unaware. I lost almost a litre with my second one but would describe it as a much easier labour than the first, where because of lots of intervention I actually lost less overall. It really isn't the issue I'd worry about if I was going to go through the process again (which I'm absolutely not!

pinktips Thu 17-Dec-15 23:33:08

I lost less than a can of coke with all 3....Som wwomen lose more, some less. It's individual. But a haemorrhage is a birthing 'incident' so shit loads is abnormal. Panic not.

Focusfocus Thu 17-Dec-15 23:34:08

Lost 100 ml. Which I never noticed. I was very alert and awake through it all as no drugs and watched witch interest that the puppy pad thingy under me where I was kneeling to give birth had streaks of blood which were tbh nothing spectacular.

Bolshybookworm Thu 17-Dec-15 23:41:28

I fell asleep swiftly after having dd1 (long labour) and woke up a couple of hours later in a pool of blood and fluid. Not nice, but the post natal ward was severely understaffed at the time, so I don't think they'd normally leave you lying in it like that! Take lots of pads in with you, just in case and get the proper massive maternity ones.
I bled fairly heavily for the first week and then more lightly for another 4-5 wks but as PP said, it's not painful like a period. And the upside was no period for 10 months afterwards which was a good trade off IMO!

It honestly doesn't seem that big a deal when you're grappling with s newborn grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now