Talk

Advanced search

CS booked but what if baby comes early AGAIN?

(13 Posts)
hullywully Sat 12-Dec-15 07:25:15

Second time mama- my daughter is 18 months old.
I have a section booked for January but my DD came at 33 weeks- via section because of PPROM. can anyone tell me what they'll do if I arrive at the hospital before my section date in labour? My hospital were fine with me having a ELCS again and are very supportive but I need to prepare for what they'll do if I arrive in labour. I've never been this pregnant before (36weeks) so I'm very nervous.
Many thanks,

icklekid Sat 12-Dec-15 07:26:54

Would you not have an emcs then?

Whataboutreindeer Sat 12-Dec-15 07:29:02

They'll do an EMCS if there is time or allow you to labour if you choose. I was advised to phone at the first sign and go in.

blackteaplease Sat 12-Dec-15 07:31:08

Yes it would be emcs. I was told to phone in and get to Labour ward as soon as contractions start to get the section done. Obviously they can do it in the late stages of Labour too so don't worry.

hullywully Sat 12-Dec-15 17:13:30

That is such a relief!! I thought they might say sir thing like: oh well you're too far gone now so get on with it! That would send me crazy- already suffering PND from baby no.1. That really helps though. Does anyone know the difference between an ELC and EMC? I know they rush the EMC but are there any other differences?

DorotheaHomeAlone Sat 12-Dec-15 17:19:29

I don't want to dampen your relief but you really need to speak to someone from your hospital about this. Advice I was given yesterday doesn't match pp. I was told if I go in in early labour no problem. But if it's more established they will need to make a decision on the day. Was warned that could mean vbac for me no matter what's been agreed. This may vary by case/hospital though.

lenibose Sat 12-Dec-15 17:21:07

If there are no medical reasons for an 'emergency' CS then it isn't all that different from the ELCS. Change into a gown. Go into the theatre. I think I got given an anti emetic tablet? Then the spinal was given, lie down and off they go. Very calm. I was in labour for a pre booked ELCS and I walked to the operating theatre.

stairway Sat 12-Dec-15 18:33:28

It does depend. I asked for a c section but the theatres were all full apparently.. Not sure if that was true or not.

Whataboutreindeer Sat 12-Dec-15 18:50:49

I was told if I arrived in established labour there could be a situation where there wouldn't be time if there was no medical reason for the section to do it. only one person said this to me, but then mine changed from maternal request to medically required so a bit different. They book for 39 weeks as the majority of people won't go into laboir before then. Try and relax and phone as soon as anything happens and get going. Hopefully baby will stay put till section day.

Brummiegirl15 Sat 12-Dec-15 18:58:48

I had my c-section booked the other day for 39 weeks but I was told I needed to think about what happened if I went in to labour and came in and was too far gone.

Mine is maternal request for anxiety due to recurrent miscarriage so I don't have a "medical" reason if that makes sense?

Whataboutreindeer Sat 12-Dec-15 19:20:52

Brummie that's basically what they said to me. I'm glad things are going well for you with this pregnancy, I think it's been a very tough time for you.

hullywully Sat 12-Dec-15 19:54:14

Brummie my heart goes out to you- my daughter came at 33 weeks, lungs collapsed, was ventilated for days, I got to hold her when she was 4 days old but with 25 minutes of prep first. The amount of cables and tubes that had to be moved was horrendous. She also got rushed to a special hospital for very sick babies. I hope it goes well for you too. I have added a pic of my beautiful girl when she was born. Says it all.

Brummiegirl15 Sun 13-Dec-15 12:39:16

Thanks so much ladies for the kind words, it's been a tough journey but only 6 weeks to hang on until c-section date.

The care I've had in this pregnancy has been outstanding and I'm very grateful.

Hully look at your baby girl!! She's so beautiful. For me, pregnancy is absolutely a means to an end. Got my eyes on the end, holding our beautiful baby girl and it will be worth it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now