Talk

Advanced search

Have I prolapsed?? Help!

(6 Posts)
Maddiepennie Thu 10-Dec-15 20:01:46

I had my first baby 6 weeks ago today and last weekend I felt like I had something between my legs when walking, when I felt down there I felt 2 bulges at the opening of my vagina. I went to the docs who said I was just loose downstairs as would be expected but also had thrush which could have caused some swelling and could feel that I was constipated. I left feeling better that I hadn't prolapsed however again today felt the like I had something between my legs so decided to have a look myself and could see two 'bulges' clearly at the opening of my vagina.

I've tried looking for photos of what a prolapse looks like as I'm not confident I what the doc said.

Has anyone else had a prolapse and what did it look/feel like?

Does it sound like I have prolapsed? If so, if I can see it in the mirror does that mean I have a severe level of prolapse??

MaccaPaccaismyNemesis Thu 10-Dec-15 20:05:26

I had a prolapse which was repaired surgically in the end. I could feel it at the entrance of my vagina and when I beared down it got worse. Ask to see a physio for pelvic floor exercises and they will have a better idea of what is going on. Don't panic!

Lemonfizzypop Fri 11-Dec-15 04:51:54

I'm 5 weeks post birth and have a similar feeling, it's not painful it just feels like a big tampon. I don't have any other symptoms.

I'm hoping that with pelvic floor excercises it will go back to normal and telling myself it's still quite early days. sad

See a Dr again, don't just leave it and hope it will get better. You might just need pelvic floor exercises but if it does need further treatment, better to know early.

pinguina16 Fri 11-Dec-15 07:20:46

Hi Meddiepenny
Feeling a bulge, tampon about to fall off is a prolapse. However it is VERY EARLY. Your muscles and ligaments have been stretched during pregnancy and birth.
Do you have any other symptoms? Stress incontinence or urine retention? Constipation? If you do, do ask to see a women's health physio.
Otherwise religious pelvic floor exercises (5/6 times a day) and conservative measures (no lifting (like baby in car seat), no running for 6 months) and avoid constipation (fibre diet and laxatives).
After 3 months, start something like gentle postnatal pilates for example to strengthen the core muscles too.
Pelvic floor muscles first, core next, everything else later (abs after 6 months).

Don't panic, it's early days. I promise you things will change and get better. I sympathise with the not nice/horrible feeling down there. It shouldn't stay like that.
If you've not got other symptoms, outcome should be positive. It is a question of exercise and time.
All the best

pinguina16 Fri 11-Dec-15 08:05:40

MNing whilst looking after toddler. Argh!!!!

Couple more things.
Pregnancy hormones run through your body up to five months after birth (whether you're breastfeeding or not - my basic understanding is that when the placenta is delivered it releases tons of hormones). This makes ligaments and soft tissues loose. So women are a bit like chewing gum... Your body should start tightening up after that.

Also, 86% of women who suffer from stress incontinence after birth (30% of mothers) have a positive outcome one year postpartum. To me this shows that the odds are in your favour at thee moment. It also shows it takes a long time.

Personally if you still have doubts, I'd go and see a women's health physio to check things out.
Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now