Talk

Advanced search

could I get a c-section? scared of 2nd labour

(10 Posts)
justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Sat 05-Dec-15 21:29:50

So with my first I dialated very quickly, I don't remember much as it all happened so quick but my contractions werr horrific, perhaps because they didn't build gradually. I went from 4 to 7cm in 30 mins, rushed to deliver suite as baby's heartbeat kept dropping, kept being turned from different sides to increase heartbeat, being told not to push when I really didn't want to, finally doctor came down. Cord round baby's neck, episiotomy and then forceps delivery. All happened very quick.

due in Aug so my first will be 20m. My mum seems to think this is very soon after first and perhaps my vagina is not ready (!) even though sex was generally pain free from 7m post birth. She also thinks my labour was very complicated but isn't it very common for women to have births similar to mine. I think the women's births in my family have been "simple" compared to mine so my mum seems to think I should be able to have a c-section..

what do you ladies think? Am terrified of labour now so would prefer an arranged c-section or is that naive of me? I don't know anyone who has had me so apologies to those who have had it without choice and it is awful. I'm just scared of going through it again and having baby passed to pediatrician to check baby's heart.

thank you. P.s. sorry if there are loads if typos! I can't scroll up to check!!

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Sat 05-Dec-15 21:30:41

Told being not to push when I rally wanted to* I mean!

Bodicea Sat 05-Dec-15 21:37:03

I am opting for a section after Siegel labour experience which ended in episiotomy and third degree tear.
You are within your rights to request a section and they cannot deny you it. Talk through with your consultant about your fears and the reasons you want one. They might try and talk you out of it but if you really feel that is the best thing for you and you will be more relaxed knowing you are having a section, hold your ground x

Bodicea Sat 05-Dec-15 21:37:52

Awful, not seigel

bebo100 Sat 05-Dec-15 21:50:58

Of course every birth and experience is different, but if it gives you some re-assurance out of my ante natal group from first pregnancy 5 have now had second children. For all of them, me included, the second time round was much easier. Your body just seems to know what to do a bit more, so you're far less likely to need forceps or tear, even if it is a quick labour.

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Sat 05-Dec-15 22:30:31

Thank you ladies.

bodicea can I demand one even on the NHS?

thanks bebo I guess I just feel this labor will be the same as my last labor but like you said, every labour is different.

Gaah decisions decisions.. at least I have 8 month's to decide!

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Sat 05-Dec-15 22:31:01

Labour* !!!

Bodicea Sun 06-Dec-15 09:33:13

Yes you can. They changed the rules a couple of years back and anyone can have one now. Obviously if it isn't deemed to be for a good reason you will get a lot of grief. I have a friend who is a obstetric consultant who opted for one with her first because of her own experiences as the thick end of things. Nothing to do with her pregnancy.

wonkylegs Sun 06-Dec-15 09:49:55

I think you should discuss it through with a consultant or Midwife who can give you an informed opinion. As you say you have a while to decide and you may well find you flip between options and think of different things as your pregnancy progresses.
I'm the opposite to you and had aan active labour of nearly 4 days before finally delivering by emergency section (it would have been earlier but they were very busy and although exhausted neither baby nor I were in any distress), with this in mind and the fact that I have hip damage from RA, my consultant & I came to the conclusion that a planned section may be best. I will be booked in for 39 wks but they are prepared for a planned 'emergency' section earlier as my waters broke at 36wks last time. I found my consultant and my MW easy to talk to about the whole thing and although I know not everybody has this experience I just wanted you to know some doctors & MWs can be very helpful & nice about it.

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Sun 06-Dec-15 20:51:04

Thank you for your thoughts. Going to chat through it with mw at some point - haven't even had my first appointment yet and I'm already thinking about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now