Talk

Advanced search

Still breech, delivery choices...

(28 Posts)
MamaDuckling Thu 03-Dec-15 23:56:59

Hello,

I'm 36+3, found out baby is still in the complete breech position today. Has been since 30 weeks. I'm told it's unlikely to turn now and have a confirmation scan on Monday when they'll do more detailed measurements to see if ECV is an option.

I'm pretty much decided against ECV regardless...

My question is, at what stage will they actually do a CS if baby doesn't turn naturally? Do they leave it as close to 40 wks as possible? I desperately don't want to be in hospital over Xmas (due date is 30th Dec). Could I realistically push for delivery at say 38.5 weeks so I'd be home for Xmas Day, or could I persuade them to let me go in on Boxing Day?! Or, is it a case of you get what you're given??

Trivial I know, but I'm just getting my head around the increasing likelihood of C Section...

TIA

TreeSparrow Fri 04-Dec-15 00:19:39

Can't you just go for a breech birth? It used to be fairly normal and not that much higher risk than head first.

MamaDuckling Fri 04-Dec-15 00:21:55

I'm pretty sure my hospital has a policy against it. Don't fancy the risk of complications either... my first was a ventouse delivery as he got stuck in the birth canal, so that worries me. I think also that the complete breech position makes for a harder breech delivery.

TreeSparrow Fri 04-Dec-15 00:26:01

Ok. If you've had issues before then fair enough. If I were you I'd take a look at the Spinning Babies website and do all you can to encourage the correct position. Then discuss your detailed options at your 38wk appointment.

ColdTeaAgain Fri 04-Dec-15 00:29:57

Hi OP, I had the same situation and also did not want an ECV, I was hoping for a homebirth but when it became clear she wasn't turning I decided an elective c-section was our safest option.

She was my first and perhaps if I had already had a very good easy birth previously I would of considered a breech delivery at hospital. However, first baby plus my petite frame plus her big head measurement on the growth scan - I wasn't keen to try it tbh!

If you go down csection route they tend to aim for 39 weeks to reduce of you going into labour first and it becoming an "unscheduled" csection!

On the whole I found it all a very good experience, we had immediate skin to skin and I had her on the boob within in about half an hour smile

MamaDuckling Fri 04-Dec-15 00:30:34

Thanks, been on spinning babies. I've tried everything short of moxibustion which I can't bring myself to shell out for... or believe!

ColdTeaAgain Fri 04-Dec-15 00:38:25

Some babies are never going to turn whatever you try, I gave it a bloody good go but I didn't have a huge amount of fluid around her which didnt help, her bum was well and truely wedged in my pelvis!

KanyesVest Fri 04-Dec-15 00:39:36

I was sceptical of moxi too, but one session of it with some acupuncture turned DD for me at 36 weeks. Her turning a full 180 was bloody uncomfortable though, the day after she turned was the only sick day I had for all of my pregnancy!

ColdTeaAgain Fri 04-Dec-15 00:42:52

PS given your due date I'm pretty sure they would try and deliver before Christmas as they won't be booking electives on bank hols, could see it as a silver lining!

ColdTeaAgain Fri 04-Dec-15 00:44:42

Complete breech and second/ third babies have more chance of turning I was told, maybe worth giving moxi a go!

MamaDuckling Fri 04-Dec-15 00:44:54

That's what I'm hoping for. Not seeing the consultant until 37+3, could all happen v quickly after that I guess so just want to be sure I've got my ducks in a row..

MamaDuckling Fri 04-Dec-15 00:45:48

Maybe I'll try the moxi then. It can't hurt can it...

MariaV0nTrapp Fri 04-Dec-15 00:45:51

Being a mother of a 6 month old 'undiagnosed breech' baby.. I would say to elect for a section. Given my time again I would.

I say 'undiagnosed' very loosely. I know she was, cm knew she was, mw on the day knew she was, but as I'm consultant led, the dr came in and decided she wasn't breech. Ok. All great until my baby's heart rate started to drop and couldn't be picked up on the belt. "We"ll pop your waters and pop a clip on her head, don't worry" then my membranes ruptured and out came a bottom and a placenta. Yes, her placenta. Cut a long story short, she was delivered in the next so many seconds, limp and as grey as an elephant and not breathing. It took over 2 minutes to get her going, how she survived inside me when her placenta came away in a breech position I'll never know but she did and she's perfect.

Sorry If that sounds flipping awful, it was worse than that. I wouldn't want it to happen to you please book a section.

MamaDuckling Fri 04-Dec-15 00:48:22

Maria, how awful. So pleased your DD is okay now. I also had a low lying placenta up to 32 weeks so I'm worrying about that still being a bit on the low side and complicating things further...

ColdTeaAgain Fri 04-Dec-15 01:09:20

Wow she is a miracle Maria, must have been horrendous being so scared.

Low lying placenta is thought be associated with breech OP, I guess the position of it inhibits them from turning.

In all honesty my gut instinct when this was me was csection is the safest option and yes I was disappointed about it but safety is paramount. I had a few raised eyebrows at turning down the ECV but I just thought why put myself and baby through it when everything suggested very little chance of it working.

LumpySpaceCow Fri 04-Dec-15 07:35:44

My DD turned breech at 36 weeks, she was footling. Before that had been planning hb but didn't feel confident with that plan anymore and didn't want a hospital breech birth as it wouldn't have been a birth, it would have been an extraction due to their policies.
Declined ecv and went for planned section. Was brilliant (had traumatic first). They will want to schedule it for 39weeks as less chance of breathing problems for baby but you could schedule it for after this date if you wish and then if you go into labour spontaneously before this, you would need to go straight in for emcs. I doubt they schedule planned sections for boxing day as less staff on bank holidays (doctor wise) so would.want to keep them for emergencies. Google gentle section - I had this x

LumpySpaceCow Fri 04-Dec-15 07:37:02

And I tried EVERYTHING to turn her but nothing worked!

abear Fri 04-Dec-15 07:46:36

I had the same due date and they booked me in for 24 December. I was really upset as DS1 was 4 that Christmas and I really didn't want to miss that time at home. I tried to persuade them to give me an earlier date but they wouldn't. Luckily for me DS2 decided to make his own early appearance on 11 December. I still had the caesarean and all worked well but I suppose the bad news is they do book (here at least), right up to Christmas so you may need some good well researched arguments to get an earlier date or some good luck.

cathpip Fri 04-Dec-15 07:48:51

As pp said some babies just won't turn head down no matter what you do. I have four dc all born via section due to size, one of my babies was breech she turned by herself at 38+4 and weighed 10.9 lbs my last was transverse and every growth scan he had kept flipping between head on right one week to head on left the next and so on, he was head down on delivery and weighed 11.6lbs, I'm just your average 5ft 4in size 12 mum....

MamaDuckling Fri 04-Dec-15 08:17:28

Thanks everyone for the replies. Going to assume c section now, and hope for/push for a date well before 23rd/24th or for the 27th... But the baby could make an appearance before either date, I'm aware of that too!

Really didn't want to miss my son's 2nd Christmas... He's so excited already! X

pickleandflux Fri 04-Dec-15 08:49:49

I'm in the same situation but my due date is Christmas Eve. Went to see the Consultant this week and was offered ECV, trial of breech delivery, or elective CS. He said that based on the position my baby is in on the scan that ECV would be even less likely to work (i.e. less than 50%), and also breech delivery more risky. Have already had 2 mc's and can't face the increased risks to the baby. So am booked for an ELCS on 17th. Guidelines are not to do it before 39 weeks due to increased risk of breathing problems for the baby. So I guess you'll be looking at any time from 23rd dec - you could ask for 27th/28th. Good luck x

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 04-Dec-15 08:58:15

They're unlikely to do a section before 39 weeks as its against national guidelines. Is the 27th a bank holiday because xmas day is at a weekend? So they might not do it then either.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 04-Dec-15 09:00:22

27th is actually a Sunday, then the Monday and Tuesday are both bank holidays.

MamaDuckling Fri 04-Dec-15 10:51:07

Crikey, I hadn't actually looked at the calendar yet... So I think I need to aim for 21st/22nd, which would be near enough to 39wks. In the meantime, more scrubbing floors!

CuppaSarah Sat 05-Dec-15 08:54:25

I'm in a very similar position, same due date as you and off for a position scan on Tuesday. I have rubbish stomach muscles so baby still changes position with ease every day. He's currently back to back head down I think.

My hospital is quite keen on breech vaginal deliveries I've been told and so I'll most likely be seeing how labour goes if he is breech. Let me know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now