Talk

Advanced search

Did you announce your ELC before the day?

(9 Posts)
FrozenYogurt Wed 02-Dec-15 15:15:07

I have just received my date for my ELC (at 39 weeks). I am currently 37 weeks with 3rd DC and this will be my first CS.

We didn't tell anyone with DC1&2 that we were in labour (apart from parents looking after DC1) and the first anyone knew about it all was the birth announcement we made - pretty standard, I think.

My question is, obviously this time around we already know when we're having DC3 now, we've told parents again as we'll need childcare. But I've known for a few days now and I'm still telling people that I'll probably be as late as I was with the first two, and joking that I'll go into labour over the Christmas turkey.
I think I've got my head around the fact that this birth will be different, so I'm not sure why I'm still pretending otherwise!

Anyone else kept their CS to themselves and just announced when the baby arrived?

I think maybe I'm just not very keen to discuss the ins and outs of it all with everyone, and would rather not have the fuss and expectations as the date draws nearer. And I want to be able to make a similar birth announcement as I did with the first two. Or am I just weird??

elliejjtiny Wed 02-Dec-15 16:40:46

Not weird at all. My elcs got bumped until the next day anyway but we hadn't told many people anyway (partly because it was only planned 2 days before). DH told his parents and then nagged me to tell mine because he said it would be easier for him to tell them if I died if they already knew I was having a C-section that day hmm. I also told the people on my mumsnet antenatal thread because I was scared and wanted to talk about it.

I think if I had another elcs I wouldn't tell anyone. I love making that "surprise, you're a granny" phonecall and it's fun to speculate over dates etc and have people wondering if the baby will be born on their birthday.

QueenMolotov Wed 02-Dec-15 16:58:28

I told everyone when dd2 would be born (ELCS, obvs!) If we have another dc, I won't tell - just give a vague 'due at the beginning/middle/end of ...'.

mrsleomcgary Wed 02-Dec-15 22:19:24

I'm being induced in 2 weeks for medical reasons and the only people who know the actual date are our parents,mainly because we need childcare. When I had pfb,also with a planned induction,i very nearly didnt even tell them! Everyone else knows I will be induced but if they've asked when we've just said we arent telling anyone and they'll hear when the baby arrives,no ones been funny about it or pushed it further.

wonkylegs Wed 02-Dec-15 22:33:22

I'm only 17weeks but know I'm pencilled in for a section at 39wks so when people ask when I'm due I'm already saying it'll be around a week before due date but if this one is anything like DS I'll not even get to the actual date when they give me a final date so it'll not matter.

rallytog1 Thu 03-Dec-15 11:58:32

People know I'm having an elcs but I'm letting them think it's going to be a bit later in the month than it actually is. My parents will know (as they need to look after dd) and I might tell a couple of close friends but won't be announcing anything more widely until baby is born.

MurlockedInTheCellarHelpUs Thu 03-Dec-15 12:42:17

We told the Grandparents, but asked them to keep it to themselves - I didn't want to feel like an idiot if we got bumped to the next day! They managed to keep it quiet too, which was a minor miracle.

My best friend was told to maybe keep her phone handy on that day, just in case, so she knew too, sort of!

If this one stays breech (31 weeks now) we'll do the same. It also allowed us to pencil in potential visit times for the GPs, we said if it all goes ahead on X-date, keep X-date+2 days free to potentially come see the baby, all being well. Stopped any expectations about them rocking up at the hospital before we were ready, which we were slightly worried about after hearing about the shenanigans at DN's birth!

Imperialleather2 Sun 06-Dec-15 07:30:13

Do you think anyone else really cares that much?

Are you worried you might get a few good luck texts?

No one would think uou are an idiot if it got bumped by a day or so. My planned section got moved as,ds decided he wanted to arrive 2 days earlier.

Sorry but I think it is weird to not mention it if your friends for example are excited and chatting to you about the baby arriving. Each to their own.

Good luck

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 09-Dec-15 03:32:07

Not weird at all. If people asked when I was due I told them when I was due, not my section date. Of course you could go into labour beforehand or get bumped so it's not set in stone anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now