Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me on what these potions are for?!

(14 Posts)
TheOddity Mon 30-Nov-15 14:09:52

Midwife in the antenatal class recommended them but it was lost in translation a bit! (Not in uk)

Did you ever use:
Calendula oil
Green Clay

Either before during or after the birth? I have tried googling. It seems the Calendula oil is something to do with tearing post birth and green clay maybe to do with healing too. But it's not clear how to use them from the packets I've bought, nor what they are really supposed to do. God knows why I bought them! I will try and ask again this week but my language isn't great and this is the far limit of what I can understand!

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Mon 30-Nov-15 14:14:13

I don't know, but I've had three children without using either grin

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Mon 30-Nov-15 14:14:40

Oh, they aren't homeopathic are they, in which case do whatever you like with them!

mumblebumble Mon 30-Nov-15 14:15:30

Is the oil for perineal massage?

ThornyBird Mon 30-Nov-15 14:19:19

I thought calendula was a natural soothing thing, like tea tree oil or lavender?

ThornyBird Mon 30-Nov-15 14:21:45

Anti inflammatory properties to promote healing is what wiki says about en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendula Calendula oil smile

TheOddity Mon 30-Nov-15 16:26:14

Yes homeopathic! They are very into that here. I did without both last time, bu hoping I might be a miracle cure to tearing or mastitis!

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Mon 30-Nov-15 16:29:55

Sadly, as homeopathic remedies are just sugar pills/creams with no active ingredient, they are going to do nothing at all. Apart from the placebo effect. Which can be surprisingly potent even when you know it's a placebo, so they might be a miracle cure.

If the oil is for perineal massage then the act of massage will help too - but any oil would do the same thing.

CoteDAzur Mon 30-Nov-15 16:33:46

Do what you like with them, since they will likely have no effects whatsoever. Homeopathy is a scam.

I find it worrying that they are promoted in a hospital setting.

Junosmum Mon 30-Nov-15 17:07:42

Is it homeopathic or herbal medicine, makes a big difference.

TheOddity Mon 30-Nov-15 17:26:50

Oooh pass.....I think probably herbal really. Calendula is marigold crushed into oil, I think maybe (making this up) it has similar properties to witch hazel, which isn't so common here but I know does work for post birth promotion of healing. The green clay is literally just clay in a powder form, a mineral.

DoctoraNova Mon 30-Nov-15 20:28:38

I was recommended some herbs here (not in Uk either), and told to make an infusion and soak maternity pads in, then freeze. Then use as frozen Popsicle pads post-delivery. I was septical, but OMG. They were very, very soothing. Front and back, iykwim.

Could it be something similar?

TheOddity Tue 01-Dec-15 16:33:00

That sounds just about right DoctorNova. Right, I'm seeing her tomorrow and will write down what she says word for word so hopefully DH can translate for me! Might be something we are missing out on in the UK, you never know!

embarrasseddoesntcutit Tue 01-Dec-15 22:09:08

Sounds herbal then, different kettle of fish to homeopathic. After the rave reviews of witchhazel popsicle pads I'd certainly give the calendula a go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now