Talk

Advanced search

Labour started, then stopped. What the actual frigging hell???

(18 Posts)
Ficidy Mon 30-Nov-15 00:48:29

39+5. Been having contractions on and off (not BH) for days. This evening, around 5.30 I started getting regular ones. They were lasting up to about 50 seconds and got to 3.5 minutes apart for few contractions. Then they started to slow down. Now, there is nothing. I'm fine. Hunky dory.

I swear I'm going to lose my mind. This is my second child. On my first, my waters just went in a big gush and that was that. None of this stopping and starting business.

To make matters worse, my parents have just driven 2 hours to look after our son while we go to the hospital. Except we're not going to the hospital now.

What's going on? Please give me some hope and positive stories that this will start again soon.

Sillysausage2 Mon 30-Nov-15 01:05:42

Aw sorry to hear it hasn't progressed but take it as a good sign that something is happening?
I was induced 2 weeks over on both of mine so no experience of going myself but fingers crossed your contractions will start again soon and be the real thing!

Sillysausage2 Mon 30-Nov-15 01:06:34

I'm sure your parents are delighted to be there to help you too so they're not feeling put out at all

Ficidy Mon 30-Nov-15 01:18:35

Thanks Sillysausage, I just feel bad for bringing them here for nothing now. I know they'll stay tomorrow though and it will be good to know I can just go straight to the hospital if I need to. It's just very frustrating. My last labour was so quick and this is so drawn out already. I'm so tired from it. Must try to get some sleep.

percythepenguin Mon 30-Nov-15 04:33:12

I had similar with DC 2 had had regular contractions for a good few hours which then stopped, I asked my parents to pick up DS1 and they started to tail off as soon as they left with him! DS2 didn't appear for another 2 weeks, hope yours appears soon!

NewNameNoFace Mon 30-Nov-15 08:02:02

I feel your pain, the exact same is happening to me!

My due date tomorrow but have been having niggles for about 2 weeks, 2 seperate days iv thought 'right this is is it they are x mins apart and getting more painful' but they just disappear hmm

Is a massive pain but even more so because we have a Ds1 who we have sorted out childcare for!

Fingers crossed we both go in soon, for an actual baby!!

Roomba Mon 30-Nov-15 08:17:01

How frustrating for you. My sister's labour was just the same, if it's any consolation things did start up again within 24 hours and she gave birth about 40 minutes later! That may not be much of a consolation actually, sorry...

Fingers crossed for an actual baby soon.

Ficidy Mon 30-Nov-15 09:24:12

Oh girls, it's so tough. I managed to sleep for about 2 hours. I'm getting contractions again, but they are very irregular and I could go more than half an hour without one, so it looks like this is going nowhere.

NewName - due date tomorrow for me too. This is a real pain, isn't it?! I just want the baby here now before I'm too exhausted to deliver him/her.

Roomba, that is a consolation, thanks!

lilac3033 Mon 30-Nov-15 11:55:42

I had the same for 3 nights before DD was born. Started at midnight or one and got more regular until 3 or 4am before petering out. It was awful. On the 3rd morning I had a midwife appointment and was in tears because I was SO tired. So she did a sweep and it kicked off for real 2 hours later. DD arrived at 5am the next morning on her due date.

LoadsaBlusher Mon 30-Nov-15 18:02:51

I was the same with DC2
Had what felt like " full on ,entering into labour contractions "three nights before I actually had baby.
They were regular/ painful and felt exactly like labour then they just subsided.
I didn't ever have Braxton hicks with either child and no false starts at all with DC1.
It was a one off, then went into normal labour three days later , quick labour and non intervention birth so I think it helped me , having had the wee practice run!

Frazzled2207 Mon 30-Nov-15 18:35:38

My 2nd labour was the same. Had contractions all morning friday, called my mum to look after toddler, then saw mw and she said I was "not dilating at all"!confused.
Sent mother home, had uneventful weekend then went into labour proper Monday.

oneangrydwarf Mon 30-Nov-15 18:47:12

Same here with DC2. Unmistakeable regular contractions for hours on the Thursday which then stopped. DH started paternity leave we were so sure. Full day of nothing on Friday (had a nice walk/lunch). Started again early hours of Saturday and baby born by lunchtime. So 48h after the "fake" labour. Fingers crossed for you x

Ficidy Tue 01-Dec-15 09:05:14

Still the same thing happening. Contractions for a few hours, then nothing. I rang the hospital, but she said they won't do anything for me if I go in.

I am just so very tired now. I haven't slept in days. It feels like someone is having a great big laugh at my expense.

lilac3033 Tue 01-Dec-15 09:27:34

Maybe call your midwife and ask for a sweep? It got me going after three days of stop start.

RubberDicky Tue 01-Dec-15 09:32:24

Mine was the same, it went on for five days and I actually thought I was going mad. I was horrible and grumpy and in pain and disappointed. Then I woke up in the night as my waters broke and an hour later I was 10cm dilated and pushing. You're probably already effacing and dilating slowly, hang in there!

Lozza1990 Tue 01-Dec-15 14:17:56

I had the same thing it was awful! 3 days of non stop contractions, no sleep, couldn't eat properly and 3 trips to the hospital. On the last visit my contractions were 3 minutes apart and they still wanted to send me home!! I had no idea labour could even happen like this. I ended up in tears telling the midwife if she didn't let me stay then I was going to go home and down a bottle of castor oil! They let me stay in the end and he arrived hours later! After that ordeal I would tell anyone in my situation if you are not coping go to hospital! The worst they will do is send you home, you can request an examination and hopefully a sweep if things are moving. Good luck! flowers

NewNameNoFace Wed 02-Dec-15 08:37:40

Hey, just wanted to give you an update.... DS2 was born yesterday at 4pm grin

After another 2/3 hours of 6 minute apart contractions on Monday that disappeared I was very disheartened but then woke up at midnight with contractions every 4 minutes Gradually getting more painful, went hospital but was only 2cm once we got there, because it was number 2 I was allowed to Stay and moved up to my own room antenatal which was lovely.... Then the bloody contractions went to every 10 mins+ they came thick and fast about 1pm when my waters finally went.

I know it's so frustrating but fingers crossed it shouldn't be too much longer and all the ones you are having mean your body has already put in the work, sending you lots of cake

RubberDicky Wed 02-Dec-15 09:07:21

Congratulations new name!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now