Talk

Advanced search

TENS for pain after C section

(5 Posts)
pickleandflux Sun 29-Nov-15 11:31:07

I had ordered a rental TENS machine for the delivery, but now looks like I'll end up having an elective section. Has anyone got any experience of using TENS to help with pain relief after a section? I would prefer to at least try to reduce the amount of strong analgesics if I can.

mrsmugoo Sun 29-Nov-15 12:12:36

I had one dose of oral morphine then declined anymore as it made me too spaced out. Survived fine on paracetamol & ibuprofen for about 4 or 5 days then nothing. It's actually not that bad, I can't answer your question about TENS but I wouldn't worry about needing strong drugs.

M48294Y Sun 29-Nov-15 12:18:35

I imagine it would actually cause more pain. The pain is really only local to the wound. They will give you a strong painkiller immediately after the birth (often up the bum, be warned grin) after that you should be fine on moderately strong painkillers. It will hurt to stand up, you'll find yourself walking bent over, but that should only last two or three days.

RueDeWakening Sun 29-Nov-15 12:50:16

I used a TENS post section, 'twas amazing! I put the pads either side of the wound and just left it buzzing away for about 3 days grin the midwives kept asking if I was sure I didn't want more pain relief but I honestly felt fine.

pickleandflux Sun 29-Nov-15 14:06:35

Thanks ladies. I've never had surgery before so don't really know what to expect. I'll have the TENS anyway, since I've already rented it - no harm in trying it out I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now