Talk

Advanced search

Birth Afterthoughts Clinic Northern Ireland

(9 Posts)
MrWriter Thu 12-Nov-15 14:01:33

Hello wise ladies,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the birth afterthoughts Clinic at the Ulster Hospital ran by Anne Marie McKinley?

I had a really traumatic birth with ds1 and I am currently 20 weeks pregnant with dc2. From my first appointment I have been asking to be considered for a caesarean as I'm really petrified of having the same experience as previously.

After a lot of mix up in communications between my local mw and the hospital consultant, I received a phone call from Anne Marie last night inviting me to the first counselling session later in the month.

Has anyone experienced this, what where your thoughts and what was the outcome if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you.

Picklesauage Thu 12-Nov-15 17:59:25

Hi, didn't want to read and run, but I don't have any personal experience with either traumatic birth or the Ulster with regards to birth.

I do however come from Northern Ireland, so that's a small victory I guess!

I will say I have had friends with difficult births who had counselling before or during next pregnancies. They have nearly always said it was at best excellent and worst it didn't change anything. So I would say, go, be honest and see what they say.

All the very very best.

Fairydogmother Fri 13-Nov-15 22:06:01

Hi I've used that service a few times now. First time was 2 years ago following a traumatic time caused by the delivering mw and since I'm pregnant again I went along there in the summer to talk things over.

She can do rewind therapy with you - I'm going to do this but after I've delivered this baby and things are settled. She helped me write a detailed birth wishes sheet which has been printed onto yellow paper so it stands out in my notes. We went through what happened before etc in a few sessions and I've left feeling much more settled, prepared and at peace.

PM me if you'd like a copy of what I've written sure but I'd def recommend that you go along. I also saw the mental health mw at the Ulster which I found really good.

MrWriter Tue 17-Nov-15 11:46:04

Thank you pickle and fairy.

LidikaLikes Thu 19-Nov-15 10:57:08

Are you due to give birth to DC2 at same hospital as you had DC1?

Think about how the same building, possible same room etc will be for you.

FWIW, I had a traumatic tear delivering DC1 after a long but fine labour. Lots of issues with healing resulting in surgery referral, long process.

It made me very nervous about pregnancy with DC2, and I spoke to Consultant several times during 2nd pregnancy about how things could go differently. This was in Mater, and I had both kids there.

Not sure about your individual situation MrWriter but do your research, be prepared to be pushy in dealing with the Drs, and accept any offers of help from counsellors etc.

I've not had pregnancy counselling, nor have I heard of the service you mention, but I think it's a great idea.

Despite all my fears and preparations my 2nd birth was actually really smooth and good. The midwives were very keen to follow the letter provided in my notes from the Consultant about my experience during DC1's birth and to do what they needed to help me. Both birth were vaginal.

MrWriter Thu 19-Nov-15 13:13:45

Thank you Lidika, yes it will be in the Ulster again unfortunatetly.

I have an appointment with the trauma mw next wed and I'm going to discuss it with her. I've just been looking through my notes and the next time I see my consultant is at 34 weeks! That feels a little late to start discussing birthing options?

LidikaLikes Thu 19-Nov-15 13:23:29

It was a few years ago for me, so I can't quite remember at what stage I saw my Consultant, though I do remember that they weren't keen to discuss birthing options until closer to the 3rd trimester. I think 34 weeks is fair enough, if it's a low risk pregnancy and your DC1 wasn't born early.

Also, at 34 weeks they'll be able to scan you, feel you, and estimate a birth weight, which might help them if figuring what sort of birth would be best.

Either way, you're doing all the right things and talking to all the right people. I hope it all goes well for you.

MrWriter Thu 19-Nov-15 13:37:47

I am just one of those people that likes things sorted early!

Hopefully the birthing councillor will be good, and useful. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Fairydogmother Thu 19-Nov-15 21:20:12

I saw Dr Manderson at 10,15,20,24,28,34 and now again tomorrow at 38 weeks. We are only discussing induction etc now. The birth afterthoughts can help you make a bit more of a plan before that as the consultant will only be interested in the mechanics of delivery really. My hv also had a chat with me about a birth plan last week X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now