Advanced search

2 C sections - do all further births have to be c-section?

(10 Posts)
CandyCrush77 Wed 11-Nov-15 23:42:31

Pretty sure that the dr told me when I had DS2 (elective section) that all further babies would need to be borne via section. I also had a c-section with DS1 (emergency). Something to do with stomach muscles not being strong enough to go through labour. Does anyone know if this is correct or do you the option of a natural birth?

ThinkAboutItTomorrow Thu 12-Nov-15 15:18:40

I just had a second EMCS. I was told by the dr afterwards that any subsequent births would have to be C section.

NotSoFancyNancy Thu 12-Nov-15 19:25:05

I believe you can still try for a vbac2. I have a friend who is currently trying to do this and she is aware of a few people who have been successful.

LumpySpaceCow Thu 12-Nov-15 19:59:31

Everything is always up to you,you don't have to do anything that you don't want to. Do some research, speak to midwife, consultant and make an informed decision x

Autumn2014 Sat 14-Nov-15 22:57:13

I know someone who had 2 sections for breech, and a 3rd born vaginally natural delivery. I think the type of cut is important. Lower segment is ok,.but a classic vertical cut is not.

birdladyfromhomealone Sun 15-Nov-15 18:27:15

A doctor can advice but the final decision is always yours. There are very few "real" medical reasons why you should not be able to have a least a trail of labour to hopefully achieve a VBA2C vaginal birth after 2 caesareans.
Have you thought about hiring a doula for your next birth?
Research is proven that having the support reduces the likelihood of interventions such as C.sections.
In my role as a doula I have been fortunate enough to have supported several VBA2C including two at home in water. Why not also get a copy of AIMS to give you an idea of your rights.

Jellybean100 Mon 16-Nov-15 11:06:42

It is ultimately your decision - as is everything to do with your birth. You need to discuss your concerns with your consultant and they can give you all the information you need to make an informed decision but they will strongly advise you to have an ELCS. There is a small risk after c section of the scar on the uterus rupturing under the strain of contractions- which has poor outcomes for you and the baby. After each subsequent Caesarean section that risk increases significantly as they cut through the same scar each time. the risk increases even more depending on how long ago the caesareans were.

kep1979 Tue 17-Nov-15 17:40:22

I'm 32 weeks and going to try for a VBA2C - I too was told the same, until I spoke to an elightened cosultant who said she'd support me trying for a vaginal birth. The risks do increase, but are still very small (similar to the risk of cord prolapse), and you still have a reasonably high chance of success 70ish%. There are various restirctions that hospitals MAY want to impose (like continuous electronic fetail monitoring, canula in prep) however you have to consent to all of them - i.e. you have a choice and tey cannot make you do anything.

There is a really good VBAC group on Facebook that has a lot of fact and research based stats that can help you to discuss sensibly with a consultant or midwife. I am lucky as the trust I am under (which is different to where I was last time) is extremely pro natural birth and has a very low c section rate.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 17-Nov-15 17:45:35

I had to sign all the emergency forms `just in case` saw two consultants who agreed to try.
Had twins, both natural, no complications.

hinkyhonk Thu 19-Nov-15 23:35:20

I have my third elcs booked in for Monday. I was initially very keen to try for a VBA2C but changed my mind after discussing with a registrar that if a EMCS was needed during the VBA2C then it may take longer (due to increased scar tissue) if already had 2 Cs and if you are having an EMCS then generally that is because there is immediate risk to the me or the baby. The potential delay is enough to make me go down the ELCS route again.

I have a very low attitude to risk though due to reasons connected with my first two children and my key aim is to be as low risk and stress as possible.

If I had wanted to do a VBA2C my mw and consultant team would have been very supportive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now