Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I've just had a scan, retained placenta identified, 5months post natal

(12 Posts)
ClaireFraser Sat 07-Nov-15 23:27:12

I had a ultrasound scan last week (checking for size/location of fibroids as the midwife identified them when palpating my abdomen post delivery) and the scan showed up that there is an area of retained placenta. I gave birth 5months ago. I don't know how big a piece of placenta it is, but I remember, through my g&a addled haze, the midwife showing me the placenta and saying she thought it was all there. Not that I would have known what I was looking for, having never seen a human placenta before! Looking back now I wonder why no one thought to check when I was still in hospital because it took ten days for my milk to come in, and I've now read that retained placenta is a major cause of stopping/delaying the milk coming in!

My GP flagged this up and I have a referral to a gynaecologist in a fortnight to discuss.

I haven't had any pain/bleeding/signs of infection. But did have problems with high blood pressure and unusual blood results for the week following birth (was induced due to pre eclampsia). It also took 6weeks for the lochia to completely stop, which I understand is quite a long time.

I don't know how worried about this I should be, what they will suggest doing re removal/leaving it there? Is it going to cause a problem with conceiving again etc etc? What questions should I be asking the gynaecologist? Btw DD is ebf so I haven't had any periods back yet. Any advice would be much appreciated smile

ClaireFraser Sun 08-Nov-15 13:27:59

Has anyone had any experience of this or know anything about it? I'm a bit worried about it really!

Topsy34 Mon 09-Nov-15 10:01:53

No experience on this but didnt want to read and run.

I would think they would want to scan you again and then probably do a D&C, i have read they are uncomfortable but effective. It would be worth exploring alternatives as i would guess its under general anaesthetic

Good luck! I hope someone comes along with answers soon

Luckystar1 Mon 09-Nov-15 10:06:34

I also have no experience at all, but I just wanted to say my lochia took 12 weeks to go, so I don't think 6 weeks is long.

I hope you get your answers soon!

ClaireFraser Mon 09-Nov-15 16:16:35

Thank you both for replying. A general anaesthetic for a D&C doesn't sound much fun!

I'm not sure whether or not to be cross about the (student) midwife who checked my placenta and didn't notice part was missing, or whether it's just one of those things. I'm quite surprised that it wasn't checked in the first week pp when my bloods were showing signs of infection and my milk wasn't coming in. Depending on the outcome of my gynae apt, I may bring this up with PALS, if only to stop the same happening to someone else.

Topsy34 Mon 09-Nov-15 16:25:24

I'm only guessing on the D&C but they usually do that to clear unwanted tissue from the uterus.

It seems odd the trainee mw wasnt double checked another mw, it should have been picked up sooner. maybe ask to see your records when you see the gynae.

i really hope you get sorted really quickly.

P1nkP0ppy Mon 09-Nov-15 16:25:33

It happens, as a former midwife I know it's easy to miss a small placental lobe especially if the placenta is not wholly intact and the membranes ragged.

A GA for a D&C is quick so nothing to worry about.

ClaireFraser Mon 09-Nov-15 19:10:07

it may well have been checked by another mw, but I was so out of it on g&a that I don't remember much of labour and delivery.

I have my gynae apt next Friday so I should find out size of the retained piece and what they suggest to do. I'll come back to the thread after, thanks for your help with this smile

ClaireFraser Mon 09-Nov-15 19:13:37

If a lobe is missed pinkpoppy, does it usually get expelled in the few days following birth or is it common for it to be retained for longer?

Pootles2010 Thu 12-Nov-15 14:31:07

D&C under GA is honestly no big deal, you'll be spaced out after the GA, thats all, and I'm a right wuss. GA is lovely - like falling into the nicest deepest sleep.

PeppasNanna Thu 12-Nov-15 18:20:15

I had retained placenta twice but both times ended up with severe infection & very ill...

The fact your well is a good sign!

I'd imagine you will be offeted a dc

Fresh01 Fri 13-Nov-15 12:50:13

I had this with DC1. Lochia was still going 9 weeks after giving birth. A ultrasound revealed a piece of products the size of your pinky tip. Had a D&C under general. Very short and anaesthetic given so light it needn't affect BF. I fed DD just before I went to theatre then DH took her a walk in the pram then I was back and we were home a few hours later. I had to take it easy for the next day, bled for 2 more weeks then all fine.

DC2, midwife doing a couple of stitches thought I was leaking a bit much blood so they did an ultrasound and there was a lump of products retained - small chicken breast size. I was taken to theatre 2 hours after birth and an OB pulled it out under general!

DC3 only boy - no retained products.

DC4 - 3 weeks after she was born I had a high fever and went to GP. Bad infection and we thought more retained products, given Ab's and nearly a week later passéd a lump of retained products the size of the palm of your hand at home. Had a check ultrasound but all clear.

In all instances they had thought the placenta was complete and knowing my history it was checked well for the subsequent births. Just one of those things, it is a lumpy thing.

In all case it didn't affect BF.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now