Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

36 weeks, terrified of having an emergency c section. Ftm

(8 Posts)
mrsjoker35 Thu 05-Nov-15 09:59:03

I have dreams about birth and I always end up needing to get a c section.. I really would prefer to have my baby naturally and as my due date creeps closer, I'm getting more and more anxious of what could happen during labour.. Not of the pain, or the length, of mine and my babies safety and maybe, needing to go through a major surgery....
All the women in my family had ,quick, natural vaginal births. Stressing out a wee bit now. And I feel selfish because of it.
I'm not sure what I'm looking for.. Just maybe some advice and calming words.
I'm 18, first baby. I've felt really in control all this time now as my due date comes closer I feel as if my control over everything is drifting..

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Thu 05-Nov-15 10:03:04

I suppose giving birth is a really big unknown, so many different senarios. .. being anxious wont help, but i think you know that... lack of sleep wont help .. be good to yourself, and talk to someone, it will all help you keep it in perspective .. And remember you cant control any birth accept that.

rallytog1 Thu 05-Nov-15 13:05:43

Honestly, if you get to the point of needing a cs (and that's a big IF), it will be a positive thing. I was terrified of having one, but when the doctor said it was necessary, it was a blessed relief. It meant labour would soon be over and I'd meet my baby within an hour. I also felt reassured that the doctors had taken a decision that was about keeping me and my baby safe, so I felt much more confident about the outcome.

I'm not sure I can advise on ways to feel calm and prepared, but the pp has given good advice about coming to terms with the fact that you can't control what happens in labour. Talking about it and finding ways to relax should help you though.

Ladypug Fri 06-Nov-15 00:34:39

Hi op, I could have written your post and I've just given birth... By emergency c section! But having suffered a very long labour and then baby being at risk and being told I needed a c section for safety you do what you have to do. And it's over very quickly and you will have your precious baby in your arms. I understand how you're feeling but you can't change it and it's never as bad as it is in your head I promise!

madwomanbackintheattic Fri 06-Nov-15 00:41:14

Have a cup of tea and chug on. Soon be done.
I had cs with dd1 ('planned' at 4pm for 6am the following day). Then two vbacs. Second vbac brain-damaged baby. The cs was undoubtedly the easiest of all three births.
The unknown is scary, but really, it will all be fine, cs or vb.

Good luck.

Geexox Fri 06-Nov-15 01:03:16

I ha too have a planned c section, due to having a really bad pregnancy , they pushed me into the decision but deep down I knew it was the right one too keep him safe, not gonna lie too you when I see other women that had there baby naturally I feel disheartened but that's natural after a section, I was only 19 when I had him so was so scared didn't know much about anything, but the only thing I an say is 'whatever will be will be' asslong as you and your baby get through it safely it dosent matter how you give birth!! Yes it's a longer ealin period and it is quite painful for a couple of weeks but anything is worth seeing your little one healthy and thriving, I'm sure you'll get through it whichever way it happens just fine an you will surprise yourself! Let nature take its cause and don't worry if the Drs have to intervene at the end of the day it's in both your interest!
Good luck and congratulations smile

Geexox Fri 06-Nov-15 01:05:15

Ps don't worry about the dreams your just worrying even if you don't think you are grin

megletthesecond Fri 06-Nov-15 14:05:20

If it does happen I can assure you the theatre team will be amazing and calm. They'll have everything on hand to keep you and your baby safe. Just rest lots afterwards.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: