Talk

Advanced search

Water births

(24 Posts)
Bluewombler2k Fri 30-Oct-15 20:53:08

That's it really. I'm due to have my second baby in a week or so and have started to think about having a water birth. My hospital has a midwife-led centre which has one plumbed in pool and two inflatable ones. I didn't have any complications with ds1's birth, although I was induced, and birth was very quick and I teared but nothing that should affect anything this time around.

I just wondered about other people's experiences and if you would recommend or avoid if you had to do it again? Any opinions gratefully received!

LomboDePorco Fri 30-Oct-15 20:54:54

I'd definitely recommend it, two water births and two happy birth stories.

FusionChefGeoff Fri 30-Oct-15 21:31:35

Attempted water birth DC1 - failed to progress ended up with spinal block and forceps in theatre sad

Successful water birth DC2 was quite simply the best night of my life grin

In my view the difference was to stay OUT of the water as long as possible! Once I was in the pool, the relief was so great that I just stopped moving about and floated lazily around, generally just zoning out.

With DC2 I used a tens machine and pacing / bouncing on birthing ball and then gas and air for as long as I could stand up. Then I hung off poor DHs neck for another 5 contractions before finally getting in the pool. DD was out in 2 pushes about 30 mins later.

DO IT!

Wolfiefan Fri 30-Oct-15 21:33:37

God yes!
My first was a water birth. I got in the pool and gave a relieved oof. The mw says all women say that! When it was over I said I didn't know how anyone could do that on dry land!

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 30-Oct-15 21:33:53

Yes definitely recommend. Particularly if you're the type who is comfortable in water.

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Fri 30-Oct-15 21:37:57

I've had two great water births, one at home. I spent a lot of time in the bath in pregnancy, it made sense to be in the water.

Tiredandtorn Fri 30-Oct-15 22:39:31

Do it!! Dd's water birth was incredible - I'd do it again right now.

seasaltbaby Fri 30-Oct-15 22:46:00

Yep, I also have only good things to say about a water birth which I was lucky enough to have with DC2. If you get the chance then definitely go for it, for me it was an incredible experience & made giving birth actually seem ok! Good luck thanks

Topsy34 Sat 31-Oct-15 08:21:07

Do it! Its lovely smile

Bluewombler2k Sat 31-Oct-15 17:32:26

Wow, all sounds v positive! Thank you, I think I will give it go if they have a room available, and only use the pool for the last stages smile

Scattymum101 Sat 31-Oct-15 18:33:04

I had a home water birth for dd2 and it was absolutely amazing. No tears and crowning was no where near as painful. The relief was great and it was a very peaceful and beautiful experience.
Had dd1 in hospital strapped to a monitor on my back.

CityDweller Sat 31-Oct-15 19:02:40

Two water births here (at home) straightforward, relatively quick. No tearing. In both cases spent the last 3 hrs in the pool. The pain relief is immense! Can't imagine giving birth any other way!

LostInMess Sat 31-Oct-15 19:16:09

All 4 of mine were water births, 2 at home and as a PP has sad, I couldn't imagine any other way. Made a point of not setting my heart on it for DC 4, 6 weeks ago as was in midwife unit and know it depends how busy they are and was so relieved it was available. Also agree to save it til you need it, not least as it can relax you too much if contractions not fully established - and it is such a relief to get in. Good luck!

blondiebonce Sat 31-Oct-15 19:22:45

Had a water birth with my dd. Would definitely recommend it to anyone suitable! As pp said- helps to zone out between contractions, and great to have the freedom to move about more freely without the weight of bump.

Good luck!

IndomitabIe Sat 31-Oct-15 19:40:52

Does a water birth reduce the chances of tearing?

I had a 3rd degree tear with DS and am keen to avoid it this time.

bigfam Sat 31-Oct-15 19:48:04

I've had 2 water births out of 4 pregnancies, takes a lot of pressure off of your back. I definitely recommend

Scattymum101 Sat 31-Oct-15 19:51:20

I had a second degree tear with dd1 non water and graze with dd2 in water. Granted dd1 was back to back but I feel being upright and the water taking pressure off the skin and softening it really helped.

I know someone who had a third degree tear in water though.

upandawayy Sat 31-Oct-15 19:57:56

I had a pretty bad tear from my water birth but I have to say lifting my daughter out of the water, being the first to hold her,was one of the best experiences of my life

Notimefortossers Sat 31-Oct-15 20:18:56

Would absolutely recommend it. With DD1 and DD2 I laboured in the pool throughout and it really helps with the contractions as you're just weightless, there's no pressure on your back or tummy. However, with both girls I got out at 9/9.5 cm to be examined and was in too much pain to get back in (you know, the part where you actually just can't move at all) so ended up delivering on the bed. With DS1 I finally managed to deliver in the pool and couldn't believe how much less painful the actual crowning and delivery was too! Will be gutted if I can't have one with DC4

WanderingTrolley1 Sat 31-Oct-15 20:24:14

I tore internally during my water birth. Still, it was slightly better than land birth.

Bythepath Sat 31-Oct-15 20:36:34

DC1 & 3 have been water births, both very positive experiences. I did get small tears both times but nothing major. I got in the pool as soon as possible and stayed in the whole time, although admittedly both were very quick labours. DC2 would have been in the water but we only just made it to the hospital and she was born in a corridor.

RolyPolierThanThou Sun 01-Nov-15 10:20:17

Had three births, last two in water. The water births were absolutely wonderful. Id do it again tomorrow. The relief once you get in is immense. I was so shocked at what a difference the warm water makes. You wouldn't credit it.

And as a pp said, reaching down and bringing up your baby to your arms is, frankly, the most amazing moment. For my most recent water birth I was left entirely to my own devices. No internals, no checks. I just birthed my dd when i was ready to. Water was my only pain relief as home birth mdwife was still on her way when dd was born. It was wonderful (gas and air would have been nice though). Crowning hurt but less than I thought and my baby was well over 9lbs.

RolyPolierThanThou Sun 01-Nov-15 10:22:42

I got into the pool when contractions were 3 to 4 minutes apart and dd was born 2 hours after that.

Barbarbarbarbarbaby Thu 05-Nov-15 20:10:25

Had first baby on Tuesday was only in water for 15 minutes before birth. The second I got in was like where have you been all my life. No stitches minor grazes. Would strongly recommend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now