Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Consultant appointment following complications in previous labour

(2 Posts)
Peanutbutternutter419 Mon 26-Oct-15 16:33:57

Hello, I am 18 weeks pg with my 2nd DC and have an appointment with a consultant tomorrow following a bit of a traumatic birth with my DS.

He had a large head on 91st centile and I am petite 5ft so he got stuck and I had to have a large episiotomy and two sets of forceps to turn his head and get him out. Following this I had a PPH of 500ml which I know is classed as minor but lead to me passing out and spending 8 hours being monitored in theatre following birth. I had very severe stress incontinence for months after and nearly had to go home with a catheter in as I had no feeling of needing to wee even 2 days post birth (sorry if tmi)

My DH can't make it to the appt with me tomorrow and I am a bit anxious going alone. Could anyone who has had similar experiences advise me on what will be discussed tomorrow?

Poledra Mon 26-Oct-15 16:42:51

Hi there. It's been a while since I had a similar appointment (9 years!) but at the appt, the consultant discussed what had gone wrong with my first birth (big head, brow presentation, failed epidural resulting in c-section under general anaesthetic) then she asked about my birth plan this time around. I wanted a VBAC, she was supportive of this, as she felt that there was no reason why I shouldn't be able to give birth vaginally, but also made it clear that if I wanted another section, she would also support this (and I could change my mind!).

She told about the things the hospital would not recommend (water birth, for example, as they would like to monitor throughout on a VBAC, not in the MLU but in delivery etc). I told her the things I did not want to do (didn't want another epidural, would prefer to go straight to section if things were not progressing) and it was written down in my notes.

I felt it was a positive meeting - I did in fact change my mind during my birth, and had another epidural which meant DD2 was born by forceps but this was OK for me - the consultant who delivered DD2 was apparently known as a wizard with the forceps grin.

I hope you get a good outcome flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: