Talk

Advanced search

Consultant appointment following complications in previous labour

(2 Posts)
Peanutbutternutter419 Mon 26-Oct-15 16:33:57

Hello, I am 18 weeks pg with my 2nd DC and have an appointment with a consultant tomorrow following a bit of a traumatic birth with my DS.

He had a large head on 91st centile and I am petite 5ft so he got stuck and I had to have a large episiotomy and two sets of forceps to turn his head and get him out. Following this I had a PPH of 500ml which I know is classed as minor but lead to me passing out and spending 8 hours being monitored in theatre following birth. I had very severe stress incontinence for months after and nearly had to go home with a catheter in as I had no feeling of needing to wee even 2 days post birth (sorry if tmi)

My DH can't make it to the appt with me tomorrow and I am a bit anxious going alone. Could anyone who has had similar experiences advise me on what will be discussed tomorrow?

Poledra Mon 26-Oct-15 16:42:51

Hi there. It's been a while since I had a similar appointment (9 years!) but at the appt, the consultant discussed what had gone wrong with my first birth (big head, brow presentation, failed epidural resulting in c-section under general anaesthetic) then she asked about my birth plan this time around. I wanted a VBAC, she was supportive of this, as she felt that there was no reason why I shouldn't be able to give birth vaginally, but also made it clear that if I wanted another section, she would also support this (and I could change my mind!).

She told about the things the hospital would not recommend (water birth, for example, as they would like to monitor throughout on a VBAC, not in the MLU but in delivery etc). I told her the things I did not want to do (didn't want another epidural, would prefer to go straight to section if things were not progressing) and it was written down in my notes.

I felt it was a positive meeting - I did in fact change my mind during my birth, and had another epidural which meant DD2 was born by forceps but this was OK for me - the consultant who delivered DD2 was apparently known as a wizard with the forceps grin.

I hope you get a good outcome flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now